Jumping off the Wagon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexter Bob

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Now two weeks post-op, doing well. My INR after two ProTime sticks has been consistantly 2.34 - 2.37. Currently taking 2.5 mg Coumadin. I am due for another stick on Monday and then I will be hooked up with the AntiCoag. Clinc for further monitoring. I have avoided any alcohol since 1 week prior to surgery (1-7).

Should I be introducing my body back to my evening cocktail in order for that to figure into my INR equation this coming Monday? As I have stated earlier I do enjoy glass of wine, mixed drink, or beer occasionally and intend to continue to do so!:p

Bob

Hi Bob,

Personally, I would say yes.. The best way to monitor and control your INR is to be consistant. So if having a drink or two at the end of the day is going to be part of your normal routine, then by all means normalize.:). Then your meds can be adjusted accordingly.

I have a few drinks at the end of the day myself and do not have any issues with my INR. If they are going to be monitoring your INR for years into the future, you may want to look into obtaining your own home testing unit. It will save the veins, unless they are already finger sticking you, and it gives you better control to monitor your own levels.

Bottoms-up!

Rob

If you drink, drink. It needs to be factored in. It may or may not have any effect on your INR. It's gone both ways with different people. It doesn't affect mine at all.

Latest posts

Back