joey's dad has chf and bad valve..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylviayasgur

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
hi all,
i was unsure about posting this since nothing can be done at this point, but here goes...
joey's father is 89 y.o. and the most wonderful loving man (like father, like son).
he has had numerous health issues ranging from arthritis to ulcers (from the arthritis meds), high calcium blood levels (which they say implies a tumor somewhere, but they can't find one), kidney stones and issues, and lately confusion/dementia.

over the last few years the cardio noticed insufficiency of one of his valves (not sure which one), but due to his other health issues (he has weakened over time) recommended not operating. he has developed chf over the last year and is very sob.
we take them to dinner every monday night and he can barely make it from the car to the restaurant door (15 ft) without stopping to catch his breath. he is taking numerous meds, including a double dose of lasix (20mg twice a day). he should be eating (and is now starting to)like nancy's joe did for years (no salt). he loves to eat and have his daily vodka and tonic (if not two_ which we no longer allow). he has some forgetfulness/dementia, is losing his balance more frequently (fell again last night) and it is awful to watch him age even more. (this is a man who was working out with a trainer up until last year!!!)

we are leaving for aruba (our annual family trip with my family) and are going with so much trepidation, anxious that we may get a phone call to come home.

life can be so fragile, right?
i wish you all a happy and healthy new year and very merry xmas with your families. i don't have to tell you to enjoy every second.
i will try to log onto joey's computer while there, just to check on everyone.
be well and have a great holiday.
hugs to you all,
sylvia

Sylvia, thank you for telling us about Joey's Dad. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi Sylvia! I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask the dr about upping his lasix. My mom has chf issues after valve replacement and she is on quite a bit higher dosage than Joey's dad is. It may help with the sob he is having...Hope you have a great trip:) Deb

Hi Sylvia,
It is so hard to watch our parents decline, no matter the age. I hope you have a peaceful and enjoyable trip to Aruba and I am sure your FIL would want the same for you and I hope you come back to find him better or at least status quo. Dick's Dad who died just before his 102nd birthday last year, use to be careful that he didn't eat too much ice cream or too many eggs- he was worried about cholesterol. :), so let him enjoy the things he can including the daily vodka and tonic and cherish him while he is still here. Our prayers will be with you all for a peaceful Holiday season.

sylviayasgur said:
life can be so fragile, right?

*nods*

Yes, yes it can be. But, I've learned that one cannot let the "fragility" of life stop them from living.

Thoughts/prayers coming your way....

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Time is a friend" ... Reba McEntire ... 'Is There Life Out There?'

Sorry to read about Joey's Dad

Deb had a point about asking his doc re: increase in Lasix. It might make him more comfortable. And I also agree with Phyllis, let him enjoy his daily drink(s).

You just need to try and make sure that he stays seated for a while so he doesn't fall.

I hope that you have a wonderful time in Aruba, and that you don't get any calls!

thank you!

thank you!

thank you all for your kind words and suggestion of upping the lasix. i will be sure to pass that onto joey (he deals with the docs) so that he can ask.
sounds like a good idea to me.

we hope you all have a happy and healthy holiday.
just try to stay well and warm.
all the best,
sylvia

Sylvia,

Yes, life can become ever so fragile, especially as we age. We went through some similar times with my mom, and it was a bitter-sweet time. We knew time was short, but never knew how short until the very end. We savored every moment we could, and we let mom live her life the way she wanted, as much as we could. I would deny her nothing, but she kept to her old careful ways -- hindsight being what it is, I'd bet she continued being so careful so that we wouldn't realize that she knew she was sicker than even her docs were telling us.

Enjoy dad, and help him enjoy his life. I know Joey will do the right things for his dad. I'm happy and glad that he is being given the chance to do it.

Love to all of you,
Steve

Sylvia, I really feel for you. I loved my husband's dad almost as much as my own and even though he was 90 when he died it did not make the sadness of watching his decline and then having to have our earthly parting when he died. You and your family will be in my prayers this holiday season and I hope it is filled with many happy memories even in the times of sadness. Much love to you....

Latest posts

Back