January 2009: Chicagoland VR/ACHA Mini Reunion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too cold to snow? Heck, it's cold enough NOW...in more ways than one.

*sighs*

And, Steve...snow tires? I've never used snow tires...and get along just fine ;). he he

Cort: Yeah, I had to use the "S" Now you're all making fun of me, about it. What you all don't realize, is I live on a deadend street in a hilly village, outside of Crystal Lake. My driveway is downhill to my house, not uphill. Which is why I have always had either front wheel drive or four wheel drive vehicles for the last 24 years.

Last February, the snowplow truck for the village, literally plowed me in, from all the snow they dumped in front of my driveway. The pile was 3/1/2 feet high. I wasn't able to get out of my driveway to get to work, nor could I walk to my neighbors to ride with her to the train station. The guy that plows my driveway, wasn't able to get over until later that morning. So when I say I wouldn't be there if I was snowed in, that was what I meant. Not a minor snowfall!

I have a Subaru, Forester. I love driving when it's snowing. I certainly wouldn't let the bone chilling cold and wind stop me from getting together with everyone. :cool:

Steve: Glad to hear you'll be able to join us. Lookiong forward to seeing everyone again.

Last February, the snowplow truck for the village, literally plowed me in, from all the snow they dumped in front of my driveway.

I HATE when that happens...and, it happens more often than you think. You'd think, in this day and age, we'd have a way to keep driveways from getting plowed in when the plows come to clean the streets.....he he.

For the record ... this event is for the ENTIRE family. So, invite your family and friends!

Will YOU join us?

*** VR/ACHA MidWinter BLAST MiniReunion ***

Saturday, January 17, 2009

SNOW OR SHINE

*** LOCATIONS ***

LegoLand (afternoon activity)
Big Bowl (dinner)

Schaumburg IL

*** TIMES ***

TBD

*** ATTENDEES ***

ALL invited to this FAMILY event. Please invite your family and friends!

Will YOU join us?

*** BONUSES ***

If you enjoy seeing cars, you might want to mark your calendar and save the date for SATURDAY, JULY 25, 2009 ... that will be the 2nd ANNUAL MidSummer CHITOWN GATHERING.

And ... once details become a bit more finalized ... I'll post details regarding the CRUISING RT 66 tour that will take place in the September/October 2009 timeframe. We will start in Chicagoland and head to California along the famous RT 66!

Of COURSE we will have other VR/ACHA Chicagoland Mini Reunions during the course of the year, as well!

*** VR/ACHA MidWinter BLAST MiniReunion ***

Saturday, January 17, 2009

SNOW OR SHINE

*** LOCATIONS ***

LegoLand (afternoon activity)
Big Bowl (dinner)

Schaumburg IL

*** TIMES ***

TBD

*** ATTENDEES ***

ALL invited to this FAMILY event. Please invite your family and friends!

Will YOU join us?

*** BONUSES ***

If you enjoy seeing cars, you might want to mark your calendar and save the date for SATURDAY, JULY 25, 2009 ... that will be the 2nd ANNUAL MidSummer CHITOWN GATHERING.

And ... once details become a bit more finalized ... I'll post details regarding the CRUISING RT 66 tour that will take place in the September/October 2009 timeframe. We will start in Chicagoland and head to California along the famous RT 66!

Of COURSE we will have other VR/ACHA Chicagoland Mini Reunions during the course of the year, as well!

I noticed this article in our local paper Sunday about a couple planning bike tours:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/lifestyles/1214231,3_5_EL12_BIKETOURS_S1.article

I hope that the Cruisin' RT 66 event takes off and is successful, too....

In the meantime, preparing for cold weather...and this gathering. I'm thinking we should do LegoLand around 1p...followed by dinner at the Big Bowl somewhere around 5p. Though, I'm not sure how long to plan for us to enjoy LegoLand....

FYI:
The Route 66 Tour (new thread coming soon) is tentatively scheduled for September 5-13, 2009.....

January is JUST AROUND THE CORNER. Yeah, I know...but, it is true...we WILL make it through December, eventually!

Does 1p at LegoLand, followed by dinner at the Big Bowl ~5p sound good?

ALSO:
In a different thread, Lorraine suggested one gathering activity for 2009 might be a ride in a Hot Air Balloon! Lorraine mentioned the Hot Air Balloon Port in Fox River Grove IL. I also know of one in the Galena IL area. Basically, you sign up on a list, pick a few dates, and they call you the day (or the day before) when the weather is right. Price might not be cheap (will have to find out more, if people are interested), but from what I understand, it is quite worth it. A former co-worker took the tour from the Port in the Galena area at least once a year and came back with some outstanding pictures. If we go to the one in Fox River Grove, Lorraine suggested we go for a ride, then go back to Algonquin for brunch at Port Edwards, then our favorite game...POOL! So...thoughts?

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I shiver when I see the falling snow" ... Merle Haggard ... 'If We Make It Through December'

Cort:

Glad you liked my idea! Galena would be cool, though it is further away. The sceanery is so breathtaking there! Of course it would be a couple of hour trip to get there. I'm glad you put it in this thread as a suggestion. Going to the Fox River Grove Port would be cool too. At least in our area we do have trees and some hills! :D

Looking forward to our gathering in January! We can bring it up then.

Fantastic plan! FRG balloon ride. Count me in!

We would want to make certain we have a great photographer on hand.:) Actually something I have always wanted to do:D.

Was thinking about the HI in Crystal Lake. Good brunch. We should meet soon for a planning meeting! Say forthcoming Sun in Nov?;)

Don't feel it will take 4 hours to get through Lego? May be mistaken? I think a later start time may work. Say 2:30ish? Dinner 5:30ish. Coffee, cocktails, dessert elsewhere?

Hey Gina,

I kind of thought you would like going on a balloon ride. I have always wanted to do that, also. I always thought it would be soo :cool:

A meeting to discuss it would be good. It is something that would have to be a long range plan, as you can't just go there and say I want to take a ride, right there and then! :D So you think the first or second weekend in Nov at HI? Let's confirm a date.

I agree about the Lego time. A little later would be better. We can discuss that when we get together.

Glad you liked the balloon plan GF! Dennis inspired me, showing those pictures Of the Hot Air Balloon Fest!

Hmmm...Carol over at ACHA indicated that 4 hours at LegoLand is plenty of time.... I'd rather have too much time than not enough, no?

Planning meeting to confirm/sure up January 2009 gathering AND discuss the Hot Air Balloon ride ... that correct?

We looking at November 2 at Holiday Inn, Crystal Lake? What time?

I'll mention it over at ACHA.....

Lorraine:I am affraid of heights of all things! Hopefully, this will be the fear breaker, LOL.

Cort:
Was just curious about the amount of time for Lego. More time is best, I do agree. As for the 2nd of Nov. Have another commitment. Any other Sunday in Nov is fine, with the exception of Thanksgiving weekend. Thought it would be nice to meet in advance of our Jan gathering. If not, it is right around the corner:D

Having PC issues, Barley squeezed this one out. Will check back in a few days!

Gina,

Do you want Nov 16 or Nov 23? Nov 9 isn't going to be good for me, I don't think, since Joy is due Nov 6 ;).

My word! Must be close and on call for the big arrival! Why don't we shoot for the 23rd?. LoRain, are you open for brunch in CL? Anyone else?:)

Hi Gina:

I can make it for a couple of hours on the 23rd. Too many things to do, and with working, not a enough weekend to get it done in.:eek:

I will definitely squeeze time in, to get together with friends though. :)

Sounds great Lorraine. Hear you on the time or lack there of.:mad: Still want to see you all. :D

Do we wish to say 12pm-2pm on the 23rd?:) Short and sweet. Can you put a word in for us at the HI? 3 thus far.

Gina,

Noon to 2pm would be :cool: Even 11am to 2pm if you would like. Cort, how about you? Anyone else want to join us? HI has a good brunch. I will make the res for at least 6. I can always call the day before and change it if need be.

It's easy to get to. It's right on Route 31 and Three Oaks Road in Crystal Lake. Anyone taking 90 toward Rockford, would get off at Route 31 by Elgin, and go right (North), It's about 20 miles north of Elgin. You go through, West Dundee, Algonquin and then next town is Crystal Lake. If you find yourself at Route 14 (Northweat Highway) you went a block too far. :eek:

I will print out the information for the Hot Air Balloon port and bring it with. Looking forward to getting together. ;)

Last edited:
My word! Must be close and on call for the big arrival!

*grins*

Yes, indeedy!

Nov 23 sounds good. Not sure I'll make it by 11a, but that's fine. Even if I get there at noon, we'll have plenty of time to eat'n'plan.

I'll let ACHA members know we are shooting for Sunday, November 23 @ 11a until 2p.....

Cort,

Sounds good. How about I make it for 1130am. If Gina and I, anyone else are there at 11am we can sit in the bar area a have a Bloody Mary and catch up on what's been going on!:D:D:D ..................... Or just sit in the lounge area! :) Give me a head count on ACHA members if they don't post here, about two weeks before, so I can make reservations.

Latest posts

Back