I've stopped the statin...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_L

I walked out of Mayo with a Rx for simvastatin (10 mg daily). Their (limited) explanation was that "there's some evidence that it will protect your new valve". I absolutely hate taking meds if I'm not absolutely sure I need them.

I can find a lot of information on the Internet re- tissue valves and statins, but not much on mechanical valves.

My lipid profile is great, there's no way I'd be on a statin if I hadn't had surgery.

There's this from this board and this

Anyway, I stopped it a few days ago and I'll discuss it with my cardio when I see him in a couple of weeks. He tends to no want to "reverse" any decisions already made by Mayo, so I'm not confident that I'll get much out of him.

Are statins post surgery common for mechanical valvers?

I walked out of Mayo with a Rx for simvastatin (10 mg daily). Their (limited) explanation was that "there's some evidence that it will protect your new valve". I absolutely hate taking meds if I'm not absolutely sure I need them.

From what my doctors tell me it is prescribed as a preventive measure from future valve calcification and for protecting CRP.

You maybe surprised by what your doctor may recommend! If he'll confirm you need to take it, let him explain its benefits in your good lab results situation, and compare his answers to the information you will find in one of our great VR threads:
http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ins-and-heart-valve-disease&highlight=statins

You'll will also find referrals in the thread to related websites.

Also, you may like to read American Journal http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa043876

If your cardio wants you to take it, ask him if you could take 5 mg instead of 10?!

I was prescribed a statin for my BAV and afterwards. It is a prophylatic measure. Just because you blood levels are good does not mean you don't have significant plaque build up (my dad's case). The reverse is also true, you can have bad or borderline levels and little or no plaque (my situation.)

Should you take one? I decided to take it since my blood work is borderline, even though my presurgery check-up showed clean pipes. However, the down side is they can effect your liver. This is mitigated by testing to make sure your liver is fine. Statins are also not recommended if you are an alcoholic or binge drinker. I specifically asked for a statin that you can have a couple of drinks with. I personally believe that's why Crestor is so popular, it works, doesn't effect your liver so much, and of the statins, it's the one with the least amount of warning about alcohol.

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I did speak with my cardio yesterday. He indicated that the evidence is mixed on the statins after surgery for those with normal lipid profiles. He was fine with me stopping the statin. He told me that Mayo tends to operate in a "one-size-fits-all" mode. He wasn't surprised that they prescribed the statin.

Latest posts

Back