Its proved again that "God is with you always when required"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tejumurthy

Hi All,
Hope you all doing well.. I'm exited to write this post after my surgery was on Sept 18th.

My surgery went went well rather better than expected!! Its proved again that "God is great!!"

I went to Cleveland on 12th Sept and started pre-op tests starting Sept 15th. The interesting fact came through tests is that i have severe aortic regurgitation rather aortic aneurysm..

The cardiologist started discussion on surgery and pointed out that the valve may get repaired 60-70%. With that hope I underwent angiogram to confirm i dont have artery diseases.
While talking to my surgeon Svennson, he also confirmed the same and chose to repair if possible OR replace with St.Jude mechanical valve.

On thursday, Sept18, i reached hospital at 5.15am and after surgery i only got up 10.30 pm.

So the verdict was the surgery went well and it was better than expected with repairing my BAV and replacing ascending aorta with graft.

My recovery is wonderful until now, and its going better than my expectation :)

May be the quality of surgery or my age supporting my recovery.

So I'm back here to respond any queries if you have and also wish to hear you back from you on your experience with the repaired BAV and recovery and life :)

Good day... Teju

Congratulations. It's "easy street" now...:) I mean take it easy. Make sure you use the spirometer to help clear your lungs. Do it often.

Hey Teju, congrats on the surgery going well! I'm sure you'll have just as good a recovery. I have my surgery to replace my mitral valve with a mechanical one on October 30th and am always glad to hear and read about people's successful surgeries and good recoveries. Keep us updated!

So glad to know that your surgery is behind you and you are on your way to recovery!

And like you, I have always believed that the Lord is the force that has seen and gotten me through some of the roughest times in my life! In my opinion, doctors and surgeons will do everything they can to keep us alive, but I believe God has the final say!

Stay well!

I do admire your faith guys. I think life is somehow "easier" in difficult times (don't know if that is the best expression), if you believe in God. I lost my faith when I was in my teens, and I thought that the struggles I'm going through will help me regain it, but no, no sign of "improvement" in that area. Any suggestions on how to get it back (and the faith in life in general)?

Hi Newbie

NewbieSlo;n847583 said:
... I lost my faith when I was in my teens, and I thought that the struggles I'm going through will help me regain it, but no, no sign of "improvement" in that area.

indeed. I would say that I have had my faith tested to the point where I'm so close to an atheist that its not funny. I remain however open because I believe that even athiesm is a kind of religion pushed by zealots.

Where was "God" when I had my troubles? I guess if I wished to "prove" anything (and I do not for a micro second consider that the success of the OP's sugery is a testament to God but rather a testament to mankind and their stepping aside from all the religious BS which held back science for hundreds of years in human history.

My own "testament" is that the Almighty God gave me a heart valve which required surgeries, were it not for mankind and science I would be dead probably in my late teens. Then that wonderful God arranged to kill me with an aneurysm, but again mankind and science came to my rescue identifying it and rectifyng it. Then that loving God made sure that bacterium (invisible to the human eye) could be placed in the wound of my chest so as to later infect me and perhaps kill me too. So far that plot has failed but not without substantial damage.

To really show me how much he loved me he arrnaged for my father to get an agressive bone cancer, kill his partner (via heart failure, she was fine when we left) while he was getting his first radiation treatment, he then died painfully from the cancer (in a matter of a month). Then while I was praying for my father and working through the difficulties we had during life with my very understanding wife he has her killed while she was travelling to be with her grandmother. She was going across the world (Australia to Finland) to help her because she had a broken hip and her parents (farmers) were very busy with harvest and could not do enough to help her (grandma).

She never made it because God struck her down with a brain tumor that bled.

Loving God listened to my fairly constant prayers (she didn't die instantly you know) and kept her alive so that I would just miss her as I was rushing to Finland myself.

Then after her funeral, I returned to Australia to sort out my things and return to Finland. It was then that those planted bacteria came to the rise and after two painful surgeries and painful recoveries (aided by mankind again) I seemed to be free enough of them to eventually return to Finland.

Since then God has left me alone, thank God for that I say!

Of course another way to view the same thing is that there is no intervention by God, that God is impartial and does nothing to help, instead (as in the Parables) God wants us to develop our talents in his absence.

So that is to say, all of the stuff I went through had nothing to do with God. All of the stuff we all go through has nothing to do with God. Its just what happens.

Looking at it that way (rather than peackocking out the positives and ignoring the negatives) its clear that nothing that happens is PROOF of any kind. Its just what happens.

Instead we can use our minds to see that and teach ourselves something about ourselves and others.

Any suggestions on how to get it back (and the faith in life in general)?

I don't want "Faith in God" if it is some wishy washy goodie two shoes feel good human rubbish, to me after what I've been through that's plain insulting. Instead I have faith in the human spirit. I know through my wife that goodness is in mankind. I know that our love was a brilliant thing , something which to this day I am learning about at a conscious level.

What we had and how our love developed over the years has taught me to be able to see goodness in people and avoid those who are unkind and manipulative.

Much of the science we have today was developed by good people. People who wanted to make a positive difference in human lives. Rejoyce in that what ever was created it has also created goodness.

I beleive firmly that God makes no interactions with us (indeed IIRC it was the evil which effected Job in that little story).

Get your faith back in the positive, in that you are empowered to do things and that you can make a difference. That if you don't like the situation you are in, then you can change it. For the real power in this world is the human spirit.

I know only a little, but mostly what I know of the world is rooted in physics and chemistry. I feel that there is a spirit in humanity and I wonder about the cosmology question of "how was the universe created" and all that this implies.

I do feel that there was a "Creator" and in my tormented times I wrote this post:
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/06/atheism-does-not-mean-there-is-no.html

I believe that humans are unable to grasp the concepts required to understand this question (hell, some can't even add up their shopping or understand their power bill), so when human minds say "this is how it is" I know they're wrong. I know that as hubris

When people say I don't understand but it seems like this, then probably they're on the right track (with some errors).

Lastly I abhor "Prayer" as "begging for an outcome" ... I feel that Prayer should if anything be seeking the power and the wisdom to do it myself

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-power-of-prayer.html

as I finish that blog post off with this

serenityPrayer.png

I hope that this helps you in some way to get back strength and motivation and to not need to lean on God or require him to carry you (cos he won't)

Tejumurthy, Sorry your thread got hijacked. We are not all "godless heathens" on this forum : ) Actually your post is not about your beliefs, too bad some focused on the title. Hope your recovery is going well.

Pellicle, What a sad testament. I've read your posts and am aware of your struggles in life. As well as all the sadness you have had to endure. I don't think there would be anybody on this earth who doesn't feel for you. Please don't take me wrong, I am not here for an arguement. People find peace in different places. I sometimes wonder if I am upsetting someone with my faith based encouragement. I know not everyone believes as I do. But I say it anyway, because it goes very deep with me. And since it helped "me", I always offer the suggestion to others. And I guess it may work the opposite for you. It is not necessary to knock someones faith if that is what helps them. I have never heard you put someone down like this, but you have always, thoughtfully, helped people, in your way. You are very knowledgable and offer ceratinly a different insight to people going through or on the same road we all have been on. I am dissapointed that you would condemn something so real in peoples lives. Humans capacity to love one another is what God is about. Some people have a heavier cross to carry than others. No one understands why that is. It just is. Maybe there is someone that does not have the strength to carry one and you helped. I hope everything is ok with you. Peace.

Yes, Tejumurthy, God is great! God certainly gave me peace of mind and peace of heart when I went through my surgery. It will be two years next month with my tissue valve!

Guys, this discussion reflects the biggest cultural difference between Americans and Australians. I read Pellicle's response carefully, and I don't think he put anyone's faith down. The topic's heading clearly made reference to God, so the response wasn't a hijacking of the topic, just a different opinion. If God is only responsible for the 'good things', then he cannot be 'all powerful', in which case he can't be God. The term "godless heathens" sounds a bit derogatory, but I doubt it was intended that way.

"I don't think there would be anybody on this earth who doesn't feel for you." That's just not true. There are millions of people out there who just don't care.

In defence of Pellicle. I Debated saying anything.. as I am new to everybody but I feel someone has to say something. I know religion/faith/ spirituality is one of those hotbed topics you should avoid at all costs but.... hinting that Pellicle is a godless heathen seems cruel.. especially given what this man has gone through and how much he has contributed to members on this site over the years.

I have been lurking on this site for 3 years after I became ill with intractable presyncope / lightheadedness and chest pain--due to a newly discovered aortic valve problem. One of the most traumatic times in my life was dealing with that and then a basement flood 2 weeks after I went on disability due to heart issues ( probable TIA due to valve ) . His posts over the years have helped me and numerous other people and I would count him as one of the most valuable important contributors on this site. For that reason alone he should have been given the respect he deserved.

I think he was just trying to express his views as he finds it cathartic and it helps him-- I don't think he wanted to depress or hurt Tejumurthy or put him down for his faith in God.... he was just trying to prepare him for the next bumps ahead on that road to recovery because lets face it .. there usually is one bump for most of us.. or a perceived bump anyway.

What I read -- wasn't that Pellicle thinks people shouldn't believe in God or be thankful to God... he just wants people to not rely solely in their faith in god and that we all have to actively look after ourselves to the best of our ability. His posted prayer kind of was the point -- I can't seem to copy it or attach it

Sorry Tejumurthy -- we have in defence of pellicle --hijacked your post-- for that I am so sorry. I am so glad everything went well and God bless you.. I hope your recovery is fast and event free as we hope everybody on here has the best possible outcomes. Please keep us posted how you are doing and once again I do apologize for taking your post sideways.

Pellicle-- I am so sorry for everything you have been through-- it totally is not fair-- your posts show your extreme intelligence and caring for people--- please don't stop posting-- you have kept my head above water more than you can know. I wish you all the best and that your infection is totally gone now and life finally gets better.. I wish I could do something to help

God bless all of us--

Hi well firstly I wanted to say that my reply was to NewbieSlo, which if you notice, is who I was answering.

So my post was in not a reply to Teumurthy. It may seem a small point, but it is significant.

ewbieSlo asked questions and I tried from my heart to answer them. I am a little sad that no one seems to give a rats arse about NewbieSlo and her struggles and (aside from me) no one took an interest in answering her plea. Depression is part of recovery, I'd expect a little more compassion from "christians".

For the reading comprehension challenged I'm actually a believer in Christianity, just not the variety which says I should just pray for something different if I don't like what God has set before me.

I am challenged by the views that somehow God wants us to not take command of ourselves and just sit around praying for a different hand than we got dealt. I believe you'll not find much in scriptures to support that notion. God is tough, no two ways about it. Again and Garagegym and indeed Knotguilty seem to have comprehended that I'm not denying gods existence and indeed to quote from Garagegym
"His posted prayer kind of was the point"

exactly!

lastly I think Again is on the money with his last point
I doubt anyone is going to lose sleep over this.

I didn't think the forum was intended to be a Christian-only zone LOL
Nor should one have to make a declaration of faith to have an opinion.
If there are such rules, someone let me know so I can leave.

Oh dear... What a mess I caused. I wanted to answer in a couple of days, when I'm back from my short trip. But since the debate got so heated, I feel it is necessary that I clarify some things.

Firstly, as Pellicle wrote, I was the one, who brought up the question of faith or lack of it. And, as he correctly states, I'm battling depression and that had led me to question everything in life, including faith. I should have known, that this is one of the topics, one whould not start, as one way or another people might get hurt by the opinion of the other. Not to go any deeper, I will conclude by sincere apologies to:

- Tejumurthy: I'm sorry that we, as Garagegym said, hijacked your post. I'm glad to hear that you are having such a great recovery!
- Pellicle: I'm sorry that your answer to my post got you "in trouble" with some of the members. If I had to endure half of what you've been through I'd be in a nuthouse or cemetery!
- To everyone whose religious feelings were hurt by this discussion: I'm sorry I did not think that this discussion /exchange of opinion is likely to result in someone being hurt.

Hi Newbie

NewbieSlo;n847874 said:
Oh dear... What a mess I caused.

Firstly I'd like to say that you should not apologise, for if this is truly a place where those who need support come to seek such support then your question is totally in place.

Those who should apologise are those who are so trumped up with the "Love of Jeezuz" that they can not offer a hand of assistance to one in need, but instead offer scorn for those helping "because they do not approve". Its funny to me because Jesus himself threw scorn on such actions. So anyone who acts in such a way as to make you feel worse is hardly compassionate.

Secondly Newbie you should not concern yourself with "hijacking a thread" there are no strict rules, and indeed often "the best stuff" comes out when a tangential quesiton is asked.

I understand that in your present condition you feel like "this is my fault" , but it is not.

Anyway, if you feel that discussions like we had are at all helping, then please feel free to contact me and we can take this elsewhere. OR start a thread in post surgical under the topic of post surgical depression. I believe that such is what you are feeling now.

In terms of heated debates, it matters not if people get angry that others disagree with your opinion (although I know that it hurts your feelings), it only matters that you get out what you need to get out, and perhaps all the better if anyone says anything helpful to you.

What matters to me is that those who claim to believe in God do not drive those who seek compassion from this site because they instill fear in them. That is reprehensible.

Hi

Garagegym;n847784 said:
--- please don't stop posting-- you have kept my head above water more than you can know. I wish you all the best and that your infection is totally gone now and life finally gets better.. I wish I could do something to help

thankyou for your kindness and understanding. I would prefer to have PM'd you so as to keep this private, but I can't PM at the moment (I suspect noone can). You have done something to help, actually you, and dick, and steve and ottogal and many others who have been supportive and sent me messages in my times of deepest darkness. You've all helped me to move towards a point where I can say I feel less horrible.

Please don't attribute any special strength to me, as I'm just taking my recovery 1 step at a time ... just like the survival manuals say.

Thanks

Teju, glad to read it all went well. If it were me, I'd also include Dr. Svennson and Cleveland Clinic with the good outcome. NewbieSo, you created no mess and broached a subject that is, and should be, discussed. I hope you find the answers you seek, and they provide comfort when you do.

I don't think these topics should be taboo, so there is no need to apologise. It's all relevant, and people talk about this stuff all the time. What's the big deal?

Latest posts

Back