It was a very good year

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

Let's have a year end wrap-up.

I had a great year. I know some among you on the front end of this process are thinking this may have been a terrible year, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm just one example So whether you had a good, bad or mediocre year, share it.

I'm 17+ years out from AVR and turned 60 last January. In 2007 I got my weight down from 250 to 204 and as a New Year resolution in 2008 I set some goals. Most I met, some not.

One was to run 1000 miles for the year. I haven't made that in several years. I've been running about 35 years and that's always been my number one target. Of course I did it with miles to spare even though I was injured and couldn't run at all for several weeks in the summer.

I knew once I turned 60 the competition would be sparser in road races, so I determined to place in my age group in a race or two. I ran 20 races and from 6 of those I got two 1st places, one 2nd and three 3rd. That was beyond my wildest dreams.

I wanted to run a 5k in 27 minutes but failed. I was down in the 28s by summer when I tore a muscle and had to back off. No great defeat there. I'll try again in 09.

I ran my favorite 15K race for the 25th time, one that I've run most years since 1978. That's 30 years where I've been fit enough to run 9.3 miles and most of them are post AVR. I was so pleased with myself, I literally danced across the finish line.

Yes, it was a very good year. (Did you know that Sinatra sang that woeful tune when he was only 50 years old?) Ain't no melancholy in my voice when I say it though.

Let me be the first to shake your hand Jim........Congratulations .......well done!!
Your an inspiration to us all.
Keep up with achieving your goals, your doing awesome.

As for the year; the highlight was when I went out and met another VR member...Zipper2 and that was after having a black eye and before having 4 stitches :)

Jack,

May all the coming years too be good to you:)

This year has been good to us too and we received many blessings: my son (step son) graduated with three honors from high school, and is doing great at UCLA--of whom I am proud. My niece gave birth to a beautiful boy and all are healthy. One of my sisters had knee replacements and is doing great.

My husband is healthy, thanks to God, and has been my angel since I met him, and especially this last year...since I heard the news about my surgery, until I had the surgery, during it, and now. All these blessings are wonderful and MY RE-BIRTH with a new lease on life erased all the emotional turmoil I went through in 2008 before the surgery which brought closer, than I am already close, to my God--without Whom I am nothing.!

Another blessing I received this year is having found you, dear members of this wonderful website in addition to my wonderful and loving immediate and extended families.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL, hoping 2009 will be good to all of us and bring peace and joy to the world

Good year

Good year

Yes it was! Another year added to my life that I almost didn't have.
What a guy you are!! Keep up the good work! Stay happy, healthy, and prosperous in this year and more ahead!
Viki

Jack,

A true inspiration. Congratulations on a terrific year! Keep up the great work. You are right that for those of us just starting this journey, it's hard to see getting back to the condition where we could accomplish what you have.

Any secrets?

Mike

Jack, GREAT YEAR!!

Anytime we set goals and try and accomplish them we are winners!!!

I had a great year too and look forward to many more.

Take care Debbie :)

Overall this was a good year for me but not a great one. Pretty much every race I ran was a personal worst.

Nevertheless, I did 1111 mi running and 532 biking, and I still can fog a mirror.

We should appreciate what we have.

Latest posts

Back