Is surgery really necessary?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matunucktuna,

My situation was very similar to yours. Only mild SOB during exercise. However, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be recommending a surgery like this if it wasn't necessary. Do it while you feel good. That will make a great long-term outcome more likely. After 4 months I feel almost back to pre-op exercise power.

-Steve

You know what you have to do. I hope you make the right decision and have it done, symptoms or not. Waiting is the worst, you will be fine!

My aneurysm was 4.8 cm, but because it had increased 0.4 cm in one year, plus my connective tissue disorder, surgery was right for me. My BAV was actually functioning very well, and was not the trigger for surgery. However, it was replaced with a mechanical anyway, because it would have needed replacing at some point.

My aortic stenosis progressed over many years untill one day all the measurements indicated it was time for surgery. I still procrastenated for 6 month because I was "asymptomatic". The surgeon then called me in and in a very excasperated voice told me that sudden death was also a symptom, sometimes the first one.

I second that! I was in the same position. I asked the surgeon what would happen if I didn't do the surgery and his response (and I quote) 'You'll be dead in less than a year'. So.....4 weeks post-op and here I am. In 98 I had gall bladder surgery - the full incision and not the Hoover suck job (the stone was too big) I couldn't believe how easy the AVR actually was compared to the gall bladder.

You've received great advice here. I'll just add that I was diagnosed with a heart murmur in my 20s, monitored over the years, and eventually had to have the surgery in my 60s. My ascending aneurysm was measured at 5.5 cm during the surgery. It increased rapidly in the final few months, so I think it was taken care of in the nick of time. By no means do you want that sucker dissecting. I, too, had very few symptoms -- just a little more out of breath than usual walking up basement stairs. I was doing a stressful commute to a D.C. job.

You are making the right decision. You will do fine. All best to you....

Just found out from my post that you and me will get our fixes on the same day. Best of luck!!! It looks like there will be at least 3 people from this forum getting surgeries on 3/27/2012.
My thinking is that my September 7th, your daughter's wedding, you will be able to cut a rug better than most of us on here. I hear our dancing skills, like wisdom, get better with age ;)

I too had entertained putting surgery off because of an upcoming planned family event however; my Doctor's sense of urgency frightened me and so I canceled those plans in lieu of surgery. Good move. With only mild symptoms and a lifetime of unrestricted activity, surgery revealed that the situation was in fact far more severe than was diagnosed. A seemingly short recovery time with minimal issues and life has resumed with increased vigor. Just do it!

Latest posts

Back