Is 4.2 cm to 4.9ish in 5 years significant growth?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

My aneurysm was 4.2 on a CT Scan in January 2004 which the radiologists called "normal." Huh?

Now I am measuring in in the high fours or low 5.0s depending on who you listen to. I am told that this isn't significant growth to the cardio guys and I can understand that it is a lot over one time, but it still seems significant to me who has it inside me!

What are your thoughts?

At this point, I just want this thing done with so I can get back to exercising and running after my kids, etc.

I would think that any growth of a great vessel, that's not supposed to change in diameter after our growth hormones have been turned off in our glands, is significant. Go and tell your doctor the truth about everything you've been asking about here and give him the tools he needs in order to give a timely and correct assessment.

About that Helicoptor trip from Holy Cross...

Tell your wife to prepare to move you to Baltimore, if you are conscious.

Last night I talked to the mother of the long-tall-Marfan guy who had a mis-diagnosed aortic dissection. He was not sent by helicoptor to Hopkins from a nameless-Maryland hospital, but went by vehicle. I am confusing his story with my friend Patricia's dissection, I guess. (I remember now that Patricia said how "cool" it was to ride in a hellcoptor.)

The Mother I talked to thought you were rather "nuts" for not paying proper attention to your situation. Her words, not mine.

Still praying for you. Have you cancelled your July date at Cleveland Clinic? As my father used to say, "Tempest fidgets"!

;)

About that Helicoptor trip from Holy Cross...

Tell your wife to prepare to move you to Baltimore, if you are conscious.

Last night I talked to the mother of the long-tall-Marfan guy who had a mis-diagnosed aortic dissection. He was not sent by helicoptor to Hopkins from a nameless-Maryland hospital, but went by vehicle. I am confusing his story with my friend Patricia's dissection, I guess. (I remember now that Patricia said how "cool" it was to ride in a hellcoptor.)

The Mother I talked to thought you were rather "nuts" for not paying proper attention to your situation. Her words, not mine.

Still praying for you. Have you cancelled your July date at Cleveland Clinic? As my father used to say, "Tempest fidgets"!

;)

Maryka, I have not cancelled the appt. I am still going forward towards surgery and using this time to think about whether or not to do it, and what options to choose. I also am trying to get more info to Dr. Cameron.

Dr. Cameron said I am not Marfans, even though I am tall.

My aneurysm was 4.2 on a CT Scan in January 2004 which the radiologists called "normal." Huh?

Now I am measuring in in the high fours or low 5.0s depending on who you listen to. I am told that this isn't significant growth to the cardio guys and I can understand that it is a lot over one time, but it still seems significant to me who has it inside me!

What are your thoughts?

At this point, I just want this thing done with so I can get back to exercising and running after my kids, etc.

On average an aneurysm grows about .1cm a year, This looks like a normal progression. Significant growth is .5 or above in a year. I was called "stable" with a 4.0 aortic root for 4 years, I am now at 4.6 and in the waiting room.

When they found my aneurysm it was already at 5.6cm. That was last March and my cardiologist at the time said it was ok to leave for the time. My next appointment was the following November which happened to be with a new cardiologist who strongly felt this should be dealt with promptly. Within a week I'd heard from the surgeon, meet with him and a date set. I think the second cardiologist was surprised something hadn't already been done.
After reading posts on here(ross) I'm glad to have had it fixed so quickly. I was always worried about a rupture after I found out I had it.

C.H.D. -

Have you shown your wife, or someone, anyone, else, how to post to VR.com so that they can give us the Gory Details if/WHEN your aneurism disects or ruptures?

On average an aneurysm grows about .1cm a year, This looks like a normal progression. Significant growth is .5 or above in a year. I was called "stable" with a 4.0 aortic root for 4 years, I am now at 4.6 and in the waiting room.

I should add a PS to this, I prefer not to be in the waiting room, I would much prefer it to be taken care of now --I just need to convince the medical community that I am right:D

Back