Irregular heart beat

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcreyes

So Its been 9 months since my AVR surgery and I am now rocking a On-X heart valve. Unfortunately about a week ago I noticed my heart was skipping a beat every now and then. Its way more active at night, and every time my heart skips a beat it leaves me with the feeling like I forgot to take a breath. its not debilitating but has definitely raised some concerns. its sounds like this (tick. tick. tick. .... tick. tick.) and so on. I've scheduled an appointment with my cardiologist for monday, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. and whether or not this is something serious or just an easy fix. Im not an old guy I turn 26 in november. And I recently started a low carb diet (less than 30 carbs a day) about 2 months ago and have already lost 20lbs. so i'm eating lots of veggies and lean meat. Could my diet or weight loss have triggered this? hope that answers any possible questions. here's to hoping it not A-fib.

Hello. I'm just passed 4 months post opp and I'm experiencing a very similar thing. I'm also only 31 years old so not an 'old guy' either. My cardiologist seems to think that they are ectopic beats and benign, but has me getting a holter monitor next week for 24hrs to see whats up.
FWIW - pre opp I also suffered from terrible A-fib, so along with my new valve the surgeon also performed a S.T.A.R procedure (i thinks thats what it's called) to help stop this from happening.

Let me know how you go and I'll do the same. Seems like we've got a similar experience.

They're called PVCs and they're harmless. I got them heaps post-op. Mine have settled down. It was tick.. tick...... ticktick....pause etc... I got about ten really fast ones at one stage.
Lots of people get them, but unlike us they would never notice. That would apply to tissue valvers as well. They may not be able to hear it, but they're more sensitive to anything related to their heart.

Same, I was told it's normal and everyone does it, it's just unnerving when you can hear every tick and then tick .......tick :)

Warrick;n867598 said:
Same, I was told it's normal and everyone does it, it's just unnerving when you can hear every tick and then tick .......tick :)

You've got a mechanical as well. 'Unnerving' is a good way to describe it.
But, I haven't had one I've noticed for weeks. I'm on Atenolol though.

I used to have this in a big way BEFORE my PVR surgery. The only thing that was consistent about my heartbeat was its inconsistency. I found it was worse at night when I was going to sleep but figured it might just be that when resting I was able to be more aware of it? I actually noticed my heartbeat regulated itself with intense exercise, just becoming super speedy instead, haha.

I haven't noticed any irregularities post surgery (6weeks Monday) but curious to know if it would return without my teeny dose of Metoprolol twice daily?

I am about 7 weeks post-op and I've experienced a few PVCs when I tried to taper down off of Beta Blockers (Metoprolol). If you're not already on these perhaps they could help your situation? Good luck.

I take beta blockers long-term. People don't like them, but I haven't had problems.
Having tried both, I think Atenolol is a better option.

I'm on metoprol as well as Losartan. I ate a lot of carbs today and I'm laying in bed right not and I haven't skipped a beat. I guess my on-X runs better on carbs then it does on ketone. Glad to know others have experienced this, and that I'm not dying. Anybody here live in Dallas? I need a bionic friend

Latest posts

Back