Iron Supplementation?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, folks-
I haven't seen this mentioned before.
In prep for my Jan 13 surgery, surgeon has put me on Iron Supplements to build the red blood cells. He says taking extra iron in the weeks before surgery is what you do to reduce the need for blood during surgery.

Now, Iron supplements in the past have always made me queasy even when it was a component in a daily vitamin.

Surgeon put me on 4/day of the Kroger brand slow release Iron Supplements.

I must say these rock! No nausea at all when taken two at a time with meals. It will make your poop black, which is a little freaky, but apparently is a good sign the Iron is being absorbed.

Just thought I would share.

I was on iron for about a month after surgery. I also used the slow release tablets. I did not have any side effects either. I did continue using colace as long as I was on iron.

Debbie

I forgot to add that my blood counts stay on the high side of normal so I did not have to take iron before surgery.

Debbie

I was slightly anemic preoperatively and was actually given iron infusions to avoid intraoperative blood transfusions (despite being told this was covered by insurance, it was NOT! UGH). It did help my health and prevented need for transfusion, but did not help the bank account ;) . I was also kept on 325 mg Iron Sulfate BID after surgery for several months.

Latest posts

Back