Introduction from Vancouver Canada

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D1GGY

Hello all, Sorry if too long. I wasn't even aware there was an online community for people that go through what we have so I think that's cool.

So I guess around 6 months ago I started getting oddly ill atleast 2 times a week missing work. Doctor wasn't sure what it could be all the tests seemed normal at the time.

Around 4 months ago I lost vision in my left eye. Eye doctor asked if I had Diabetes or any recent infection which was No to both questions. So doctor ran all blood tests and found out my hemogoblin levels were very low. At this time I had lost close to 20 pounds. I mean geez i was only 160 pounds when this all started. I was getting night sweats and a fever everyday for 30 days.

Finally one night I was awaken due to spleen pains in my ribs. Doctors at thsi hospital refered me to the internal medicine doctor for further examination.

now I was born with a heart murmur and a hole in my heart which was good for 41 years no issues. They did a blood culture test on me to find out all this time I had what is called Endocardits. They figure form a bad tooth I had was the cause.

So with heart issue they rushed me to the trauma hospital to run more tests. they did the ultrasound down my throat to look at the heart to find out my Aortic valve was heavily vegatated. The surgeon came to see me the next morning and say I needed to get that replaced ASAP. I was in shock and nervous as hell.

They also discovered the emboli form infection went up in behind my eye causing the loss of vision. I also has a piece sitting on my brain that they had to clear up before surgery due to the blood thinners I would soon be on.. So I was on multiple antibiotics for 3 weeks prior to surgery.

I decided on goign with the mechanical valve which was a 23 as he stated a tissue replacment means I may have another surgery in 10 years and wasnt about to go down this path again lol..

I had my surgery on August 31st 2016. Went in at 7 in the morning and wife says they rolled me into ICU around 2 in the afternoon. I had to spend 4 days post op in ICU as i kept goign into AFIB and heart wasn't pumping the blood as it should have been. It was a long 4 days in ICu with a nurse sitting right outside my door for 24-7. Due to the anesthetic form surgery i had weird day dreams and found myself talking to people that weren't even there. Then finally the tubes came out of stomach and tubes out of arteries and was time to head back to the Cardiac ward.

Wouldn't you know it I wasn't in the clear.. well I caught pneumonia and we all know since the lungs are collapsed you are constant coughing flem up.. Well this was extra hard for me and really drained me for atleast 4 days. I also started to finally hear my mechanical valve for the first time and thought this was cool at first.( later needed sleeping pills just to get to bed as it would keep me up)

I was finally able to get out of bed an get top the physio they had at hospital for all surgery patients. Within 3 days I was able to do my 2 flights of stairs they make you do before releasing you. My hemogoblin keep getting low and they kept me on Antibiotics . I left hospital with my piccline in and still hooked up to Antibiotics for 3 weeks.

Sorry for this novel just wanted to share my story with others. I got a new Boston terrier puppy when i went in hospital to keep me happy and help with the recovery. I am now walking 2-3 kilometers daily and happy to say not once have I been shorten breathed and enjoy walking. I do need to get blood work done once a week to check my INR levels. I am stable at the time being and taking 6mg of Warfarin a day.

I had my surgery done at Royal Columbia Hospital here in Vancouver/New Westminster by Dr. Latham. I have nothing but respect for all the nurses, doctors and physio staff on 2 south Cardiac ward.

Is anyone else from Canada in these forums???

Thank you for your time if you read this. Cheers.

P.S they also filled the hole in my heart I had

Wow, what a story ! Good that you've made it through after getting such endocarditis, but what a journey you had. There was a discussion on the forum a few months ago about endocarditis and getting it from tooth/gum problems, not that anyone had that at the time but discussion about it nonetheless. Good they filled your hole in the heart.

Hi and welcome

well ... that's quite a ride!

Glad they've got things under control now.!

There are a few Canchucks on the forum ... one's a real card actually (from northern BC). We've got a diverse selection here ... I'm Australian (there's a few of us too) but I live at the moment in Finland (seem to switch back and forth).

Best Wishes

Gasp. And hurray ... that they got to the bottom of the initial trouble when then did. Great to hear you're making good progress after such a roller coaster ride.
May your dog keep you active, happy and well! ;-)

Glad you're ok.
I got the eye thingy too, as did a woman I know. In both our cases it was due to the 'hole in the heart' (Patent Foramen Ovale).
Fascinating that you had this and endo.
My vision returned too.

Always happy to say "Hi" to another Canuck (pellicle wrote Canchucks lol), there's nothing like having a warm puppy to make things feel better and knowing laughter is the best medicine.

All I can say is WOW! Glad you are mended and rockin' and rollin' with your new furbaby. Tell your wife I commend her for staying strong through the ordeal.

honeybunny;n870518 said:
All I can say is WOW! Glad you are mended and rockin' and rollin' with your new furbaby. Tell your wife I commend her for staying strong through the ordeal.
She deff redefined the vow through sickness and health. She was up in the hospital everyday form 9 in the morning until 1. Then we had rest period until 3 and she would be back up with my mom. All the doctors waited for any info to tell her and she's the brains of the operation. A lot of the stuff I went though was jibberish to me sadly. Glad she was able to take 2 months off work to be there and help. I wouldn't quite say rockin and rollin yet but walking a good distance daily helps keep the blood flowing.

Back