Intro

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bendell

Hi all -

I am a 46 M heading into heart surgery in a couple weeks to replace an aortic valve and repair an aortic aneurysm. I'm sure many of you have had the same. I look forward to hearing your stories as I enter into the phase I've been quietly dreading for a couple years.

Hi Justin, I think you will find this forum very useful. Unfortunately for me, patient experience information was not available when I had the surgery and there were times before and after surgery when I needed info.....and support that doctors could not provide. I think you will find this forum can help with your concerns.........we have all been there.

Hi Justin, I think you will find this forum very useful. Unfortunately for me, patient experience information was not available when I had the surgery and there were times before and after surgery when I needed info.....and support that doctors could not provide. I think you will find this forum can help with your concerns.........we have all been there.
Thanks, Dick!

Hu Justin i am approaching my one year anniversary. Do you mind if i ask mechanical or tissue?

Keep posting and you will get great advice daily, another question are you in the UK?

Ok keep in touch on the forum and good luck if you search you will find lots of advice about going into hospital and preparation and beyond

Greetings Justin and welcome to the forum!
There’s a wealth of great info and support here. And lots of people with mechanical valves. It’s a fantastic resource for anyone facing valve surgery.
In no time at all, you’ll be on the other side of your operation, on the road to recovery and the rest of your life.
Feel free to post any questions you have. There's always someone here willing to help where possible.

Wishing you all the best for the days ahead and onwards to a good recovery.

I had surgery 13 yrs ago for an ascending aortic aneurysm. I now have a St Jude grafted valve. This group has been a life saver for me. I so appreciate everyone here. There’s just nothing like hearing from people who have gone through the same thing you’re going through. Good luck to you. Glad you found this site.

Hi all -

I am a 46 M heading into heart surgery in a couple weeks to replace an aortic valve and repair an aortic aneurysm. I'm sure many of you have had the same. I look forward to hearing your stories as I enter into the phase I've been quietly dreading for a couple years.
Sorry, but I had Aortic valve replacement in 2001 and did very well. Coming out from being under, I would bang on the railing, since I was still tubed. Took a couple hours later when that took it out and did fine.

Good morning Justin and welcome.

Lots of our stories are already written down here, so while the weren't written for you (hot off the keyboard) they are exactly what people felt at that time (fresh off the slab and in recovery).

Myself (for what ever reasons) consider it more like just the time in queue at an amusement park and as soon as I'm reasonably done waiting (I don't try to queue jump) I'm doing what I'm there for ... the rides.

Life is a ride and surgery just something to get me back into life. For sure there are changes (as we age) and surgery just gives us a mark on the back of the bedroom door to show how high we were on that date. Its a good time for reflection and from reflection growth.

Soon enough you'll find 10 years have got behind and the big cloud of surgery ahead of you is a squall that's gone.

Best Wishes

Soon enough you'll find 10 years have got behind and the big cloud of surgery ahead of you is a squall that's gone.

Best Wishes
^^ This^^ Time marches on and you almost forget what the surgical experience and recovery were like. Most of us just continue on with our lives as we did before surgery once we’ve recovered.

Welcome, Justin!

Lots of our stories are already written down here, so while the weren't written for you (hot off the keyboard) they are exactly what people felt at that time (fresh off the slab and in recovery).

Myself (for what ever reasons) consider it more like just the time in queue at an amusement park and as soon as I'm reasonably done waiting (I don't try to queue jump) I'm doing what I'm there for ... the rides.

Life is a ride and surgery just something to get me back into life. For sure there are changes (as we age) and surgery just gives us a mark on the back of the bedroom door to show how high we were on that date. Its a good time for reflection and from reflection growth.

Best Wishes
I love it. Thanks, pellicle & Lisa2.

Please feel free to ask any questions leading up to surgery and after. There is a wealth of experiences on this forum. I’m one of those fresh off the table so my memory is clear and my desire to help is front and foremost.

Welcome to the forum Justin.

I had the same procedure which you are heading into, about 27 months ago. Like you, I went with a mechanical valve to avoid future reoperations.

Best of luck in your upcoming procedure and feel free to ask any questions. This forum was a great resource for me before and after my surgery, and I'm sure that it will be for you too.

Back