Internet Overload-scared stiff-Newbie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star54

I am having aortic aneurysm surgery (it is 5.0 cm) at Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC, at the end of July. I cannot stop reading everything, but the more I read the more terrified I get. Having nightmares about tubes in my throat. I have been reading now mostly about support group "family members" that are going to help at home after the recovery. I live alone and don't not want the family circus taking care of me, for good reasons. I have already called a rehabilitation care facility for the week after the surgery. Has anyone ever had to go this alone?

Last edited:
I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm very sorry that you have to be here, but you will find a wealth of practical, knowledgeable support here. I know there are some who have gone it alone. They should be along shortly.

Hello. Yes, I live alone and have no family living anywhere near and also am something of a recluse and so do not welcome lots of friends to my home.

I had to go to England for my surgery and was kept in hospital for about ten days after surgery but that was fairly normal, perhaps a day or two longer than most but it wasn't convenient to be collected from the hospital until the Sunday - not for medical reasons.

I did go to my daughter's home for a few days but she was out at work most of the time so I was alone, and feeling quite ill as I was developing heart block due to digoxin toxicity. I ended up in hospital for another week which brought me to three weeks post surgery. From that time on I was completely alone, just had help with shopping a couple of times a week.

One thing that I did was to sleep on a bathsheet as I wasn't able to change my bed. I just changed towels.

Welcome to the zoo .... I?m sorry you are having to have this but at least you can and will be fixed .... there are so many different opinions and experiences that it can and will make your head swim ... I did not have an aneurysm but had to have my aortic valve replaced in February of 2006 .... I had all the anxiety that goes along with this type of surgery but in my case most was unfounded ... I had very little pain and a pretty smooth, textbook recovery .... we will be glad to support you and help you up and over the mountain .... keep the faith.....:)

Welcome to VR.com./ Sorry for the circumstances but glad you found us. Being terrified is normal but I can honestly say, having been through it, that my fears about it were far worse than the reality of it. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I don't have any advise about doing it alone as my wife was there to help me through it. We don't have any other family close by and friends didn't come by (at my request). However, she worked during the days so I did have to fend for myself most of the time. If you set up you're home properly, it is quite manageable. Best wishes and good luck.

First Welcome to VR site. I did not have an aneurysm, but did have my aortic valve replaced May 2008. I totally understand about having people around and yes sometimes family can create a circus. I was alone most of the time. My husband had to return to work the Saturday after my surgery. I had been home one day from the hospital. He of course made sure that both our grown children would check up on me. Since they both work, mostly they would come by in the evening. They made sure everything I needed was kept at about waist level or out on the counter. I would think that if someone sets everything up for you, there wouldn't be to much of a problem. However, try to have someone who can come right away in the event something happens that you need help. Your recovery will likely be smooth but better to be prepared. Good Luck and keep us posted.:)

Nothing wrong with going to a rehab facility after for a week, but check the facility out before you end up being there. Some of them are not a desirable place to be. ;)

I went into a rehab facility after my surgery because I have a physical disability and needed extra time to get back on my feet. My experience was great. I spent 8 days in the hospital after my surgery (aortic valve replacement with full sternectomy) and another 9 days in rehab. After I came home, I had a visiting nurse and PT who came to my home 3 times a week for 5 weeks. My surgery was 4 months ago and I am now 2/3 of the way through my cardiac rehab.

My rehab center was located in a hospital and I would recommend that above one in a nursing home, depending on your age. I was very lucky and actually had a neighbor who had double knee replacement as a roommate! I didn't go to rehab because of lack of family to help, but it certainly was the best choice for me and I received lots of help from the staff that would have been impossible at home. I agree with Ross--check out the facility beforehand. It will help to take the worry out of your transistion after surgery and good luck! Jane

I wanted to say WELCOME! I had an AVR and had my husband with me. There is a lot of great information here. If you have questions, ask away. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I had the EXACT same thing?.5 cm aneurysm plus a sticky aortic valve, so had the package deal of a St. Jude?s mechanical valve and a Dacron sleeve where the aneurysm was removed.

Remember, this is just another day in the office for these surgeons. Personally I never really worried about the surgery itself, but more of the challenges I?d face during the recovery time.

You?re actually fortunate that you have a few weeks to ?get your house in order? both mentally and physically. Even though it allows more time to worry, many patients get the ?you?re going in tomorrow? decree and don?t have time to check out rehab prior, rearrange cupboards and pre shop! Count your blessings.

More good news is that they found the aneurysm in time and can fix it! Try to focus on all the good things happening around this surgery, and know that you have the VR forum to hold your hand (I didn?t find this til afterwards).

In a couple weeks we?ll be high-fiving your success!

Star, first of all, welcome to VR. My wife helped take care of me, but really, after the first 24 hours home I was able to do just about everything on my own. Just make sure you carefully arrange everything in your home so you can reach them easily, and have lots of easy-to-cook meals. And I too was worried about the breathing vent and other tubes, but I ended up so drowsy I barely noticed the vent. The whole experience won't be fun, but I think you'll be surprised how much easier it will turn out to be for you. Good luck!

Star I too had internet overload and was scared to death. I woke up almost every night for months imagining the tube in my throat....I wrote a note with questions I wanted answered when I woke from the surgery (like repair or replace?) thinking I would not be able to talk to ask. I imagined how good it would feel when the tube was removed and I was "moving" to the next step in the recovery......NONE of it happened.....like Bill (above) I was too sleepy to even know I had the tube. I don't remember it in or the removal. I could ask any questions I wanted to ask when I woke up as there was no tube. The waiting, thinking and researching is the worst part of the entire process. Relax and let them take care of you. It truly is just another heart to them. I believe the rehab place is a great idea.....I know several valve patients who have gone that route with wonderful results. Good luck....we are praying for your peace of mind as you wait.

Hi Star. Turns out the breathing tube was not that bad for me either. I realized it was there, but the effects of the anesthesia were such that I didn't really care. It doesn't hurt when they remove it either!
Don't let your imagination run amok! In your head, you can create all kinds of scary situations that will never occur. Listen to those of us who have been through it, THAT is reality.

Thank you ....all of you! I am so glad I found this forum, with all of you cheering me on. I have now stopped researching the net because it can really make you crazy...for instance I read that my surgeon was going to be in Berlin speaking the day before my surgery and freaked! Turns out the wrong date was posted on the site I read..and needless to say my Xanex intake lessened today. From the bottom of my screwed up heart thanks to all of you for being there......
Live long and prosper...well, live long is enough for me now...lol

Hi and welcome!

About the breathing tube: I was worried about waking up with it in place, but when I woke up the only tube I had was a urinary catheter. Well, of course I had an IV. In my case, however, weeks down the line I discovered I had an overgrowth of scar tissue in my vocal cords--a reaction to some sort of injury from intubation. The good news is that the surgical repair to my vocal cords was "outpatient" with instant relief from my throat symptoms. And I really know no one else on this list who had as much throat damage as I sustained.

About being alone. Despite having a grown daughter in a nearby suburb, I was alone. (My daughter had a new baby and her husband was opposed to having me stay with them for 2 weeks. I chose not to fight them.) I had a friend drive me to the hospital on the day of my OHS and, because she needed to get to work, just drop me off at the Hospital door. I walked myself up the the surgical area. My clothes were an issue because no one was available to "take" them away after I went into surgery. Then the clothes remained lost for a few days, but, I was told they were found in an operating room. I have a hard time visualizing that one!

I was visited as a OHS patient post-op, and my daughter and husband did pick me up on the day I was discharged, but I almost had nowhere to go (since I was told I could not be "home alone" for 2 weeks). I started calling friends and acquaintances begging for someone to take me in. Eventually some acquaintances from my church took me in and it was a wonderful 2 weeks! Then I was allowed to be home alone.

Once home, you will need some elevated toilet seats and easy access to food. I used my microwave to cook the frozen dinners my daughter had helped me stock up on. Also, I needed a ride to my INR PT anticoagulant tests. Again, I got out my address book and called and called until I found a person who was delighted to drive me.

Living alone does not mean you cannot get help if you ask for it! I am now good friends with the people from my church who took me in at the last moment. I remember my time with them very fondly!

I have now stopped researching the net because it can really make you crazy...

Yeap! That is exactly why this site exists. For every positive thing you read, you'll find a negative and vice versa The best part of all is, all that so called great information comes from those that haven't been through surgery. We have! :cool:

Latest posts

Back