interesting video from last year on stem cells creating heart valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool video! By the time I'm 60 in thirty years they should be doing some amazing things in medicine. Can't promise it but its very likely that virtually every standard in medicine will be changed because of it.

Yeah, forget the valves, hopefully they can give us all brand new hearts!! One reason I went for a mechanical valve was because if it did need replacing in 25-30 years something like this would be the standard. I was also very interested in reading the q&a from cleveland from the other post saying that the number of operations you have isn't so risky if you are fit and healthy.

Tissue engineered valves and conduits have always been my big hope for Justin, hopefully that would be the last valve/conduit he would need. The fact in theory they may be able to place them by cath instead of another OHS is even more exciting, but even knowing that OHS might be the last needed would be huge. Alto I think itwill be a VERY log time before they could growa whole heart, valves where they "just" have to strip valves down to their scaffold and grow the persons cells on it and does involve alot o f electrical, muscle that pumps etc, seems much more doable.

They've been working on them quite a while now, I know a family whose daughter has a heart close to Justin's and had the same "main' surgery as a baby, that sent up an org about 10 years ago, that fundraises JUST to help with the research going on with tissue engineered valves at Boston Childrens, to hopefully help things move quicker to benefit their daughter and everyone else who needs valves and /or conduits replaced, but especially children since hopefully they would grow with them and not need as many surgeries because they outgrow their parts. I really admire people who think ahead like that and work hard to help make things happen.

Latest posts

Back