interesting mini-article

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netmiff

caught this as I was zipping through Yahoo Canadian pages :

PETERBOROUGH, Ont. - An 11-year-old girl from Peterborough, Ont., girl is scheduled to undergo a unique heart procedure today in Edmonton.

Grace Wood will have a pulmonary valve replaced in what's believed to be the first operation of its kind for a child in North America.

Doctors will insert the valve through Grace's jugular vein and thread it through her system, then balloon it open when it gets into place.

The procedure could take anywhere from four to eight hours at Stollery Children's Hospital.

Grace - nicknamed "Amazing Grace" because she wasn't expected to live past the age of 2 - has a condition known as DiGeorge Syndrome and has endured three open-heart surgeries among at least 35 procedures.

If all goes well, the youngster should be back in class in September.

Interesting story. I wonder why they are not inserting the valve via the femoral artery? There must be a reason. She is one brave little girl who has endured alot.

caught this as I was zipping through Yahoo Canadian pages :

PETERBOROUGH, Ont. - An 11-year-old girl from Peterborough, Ont., girl is scheduled to undergo a unique heart procedure today in Edmonton.

Grace Wood will have a pulmonary valve replaced in what's believed to be the first operation of its kind for a child in North America.

Doctors will insert the valve through Grace's jugular vein and thread it through her system, then balloon it open when it gets into place.

The procedure could take anywhere from four to eight hours at Stollery Children's Hospital.

Grace - nicknamed "Amazing Grace" because she wasn't expected to live past the age of 2 - has a condition known as DiGeorge Syndrome and has endured three open-heart surgeries among at least 35 procedures.

If all goes well, the youngster should be back in class in September.

Hey Jeanette,
Why don't you post this in Heart Talk too? I know more members will be interested in this latest development and might miss it in Small Talk.
It is an important milestone.

Latest posts

Back