Intensify prayers for Ross

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JenniferO

I couldn't hold off any longer so called Aultman Hospital (would be 3:45 in Ohio).

Patient information tells me Ross is in the ICU in "guarded condition."

Pray hard everyone!!!!

Last edited:
I've heard from people who were checking on Joe when he's been in ICU after heart surgery, that they always mention serious or guarded condition, because the surgery is so serious.

I'm hoping that is the case with Ross. He has extra prayers from me at any rate.

Go Ross, you can do it!

Just heard from Ross's son

Just heard from Ross's son

I just got a private e-mail from Ross's son Steve..How can I forward it to Valvereplacement so everyone can read it..Quite long. Let me know some

Here is the same e-mail which I also got:

This is Steve, Ross' son. I'm emailing you all to give you the much
anticipated followup.

Dad went in around 5:30am, and the heart surgery started around 7:00am. Dr.
Novoa did the job, as he replaced a small part of the aorta, and inserted a
mechanical (St. Jude) valve. What was at first believed to be a blood clot
in the heart turned out to be a cyst on the ride side paracardial wall,
removed that. While in there, Dr. Novoa found that the left lung had 2
Blebs (leaking air), and they were removed. We were informed that his left
lung will cause trouble in the future, with the possibility of removing the
lung. This successful procedure lasted around 6 hrs.

Dr. Myerhoffer then came in and repaired dad's hernia by placing a plug in a
hole and putting mesh over the top of that, then tying the tissue together.
We were told that dad's tissue there does not heal well, so it may come
back, and it's recommended that it is not repaired again. This lasted 1/2
hour.

Dad's total surgery went successful, and he is currently resting, and
sometime between 2-4am tonight they will begin to ween him off of the
ventilator.

Thank you for your concerns, the Young family appreciates it.

Take care, God Bless.

Steve Young

This is Steve.

This is Steve.

I was just going to post the email. Hope this answers everyones questions. Thanks for your concerns!

Steve

Steve

Steve, PLEASE keep us posted. Your Dad has SO many people who love him and are praying for him...We know you will be busy but try to keep us updated. Thanks a million..Bonnie

Hi Steve-

Welcome to the site. We're all so thrilled that your dad did well. We've been waiting to hear. Now that you know how to get on the site, don't be a stranger.

Hi Steve,

I'm really glad to hear your dad is doing good! A little scary about the cyst and the lung problem, but hopefully he'll come out of this better than when he went in, so as long as he's going in the right direction...! Please give him a big HELLO! to him from all of us here, whenever he gets around to waking up. I tell you, it sure is lonely on the board tonight without him lurking around!

thanks for keeping us posted!

-JEnnie

Ross, I'm so glad and relieved to hear of your successful surgery and I wish you all the best for a speedy and uneventful recovery. Welcome to the other side of the mountain again, Can't wait to talk to you! God Bless.

YAHOO!!!!

YAHOO!!!!

ROSS.....MANY CONGRATULATIONS, ALTHOUGH I'M SURE YOU'RE NOT FEELING LIKE CELEBRATING AT THIS POINT. YOU'VE BEEN IN OUR THOUGHTS ALL DAY AND WE WERE SO RELIEVED TO SEE THE NOTE FROM YOUR SON STEVE.....NOW GET THAT BODY UP AND WALKING AROUND THAT HOSPITAL......COME HOME SOON, WE ALL MISS YOU. EVELYN AND TYCE

He made it!!!

He made it!!!

Hi Ross,

You son Steve brought us up to date on how everything went, and it seems you made it buddy. Hope that your recovery will be uneventful and that you soon will be home with your family and cyber family.

God bless.

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
TMC, Tucson. AZ
Dr. Gulshan Sethi
St. Jude's Mechanical

Mail to Ross

Mail to Ross

I just finished a card to Ross. You can find the Aultman Hospital adress under pre-surgery..his thread about his new date..about 5 post down. Let's bombbard him with cards...Bonnie..Have a feeling he will be more than the standard 6-7 day stay.

Thanks for the update on your Dad, Steve, and our prayers are with you for a recovery much less eventful than his surgery and preparation for it.

Hopefully he's over the biggest bumps in the road and will make steady progress from here on out. We welcome him to this side of the mountain.

Godspeed and God bless.

2nd Day

2nd Day

Steve here.

Today I went in at 5pm, as mom was with him from 9am to 12pm, then came back up at 5pm as well. He was writing things, such as "How long till recovery" "where's everyone" and those type of things. It was hard for him to write, and it's also still hard for him to breathe as he is still on the ventilator. Today he has been pretty hot (no fever) and needs constant cooled towels on him. He also needs suctioned every once in a while, since it causes him discomfort to cough it up all the time. He zones in and out, one moment he'll be listening to you, then the next he's half asleep. Pressures and heart rate are good though. Other than this, he is just resting and trying recover as best as he can. I'll be going back tomorrow.

Take care,
Steve

Thanks, SuperDragon

Thanks, SuperDragon

We appreciate the update on your dad, Steve. Sounds like he is doing about as expected. Give him my best wishes - you and your mom, Lyn, too. Thinking of you all. God bless Ann

Hang in there Steve. Recovery begins rough but each improvement breakthrough along the road will be a milestone of relief for your Dad and they will gradually become more numerous and frequent on this side of the mountain.

Many fellow travelers are here to help him and you with advice in case you encounter any more bumps on the road.

Keep us posted and we'll keep you in our prayers.

Hi Steve-

It's hard to view a loved one in the ICU with all the tubes and the ventilator in. Right now, it's probably a good thing he's drifting off to sleep often. The ventilator is not a comfortable thing to have down your throat. When they can wean him off it and get some of the other tubes and things out, he'll feel much better. Some patients take longer than others.

Send him my best and all my positive thoughts for getting off the ventilator. And best wishes to you, your mom and the rest of the family during this difficult period, post surgery. He'll do OK.

We're all rooting for ya, Ross. :) :) :)

Steve:

When I was in the ICU, another patient who ultimately became my roommate on the nursing floor had also had her surgery the same day as mine by the same surgeon.

She had had a collapsed lung before her mitral valve surgery, so she was longer on the ventilator than I. I still have vivid memories of how she kept asking by gesture and by writing messages when they were going to get her off. So, I am sure the ventilator is uncomfortable for him and it must be so frustrating not to be able to communicate.

Please let him know that in addition to your family being there, all of us in the VR family are here in spirit thinking of him and praying for him.

Even though he seems "in and out" of awareness, patients often are aware of much more than we think. So keep giving him support messages even if you don't think he hears.

Latest posts

Back