Insurance that covers pre existing conditons

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyR

Hello guys,

I am planning to continue my education in the US and hence looking for a insurance that covers pre existing conditions. Anyone who can help me with that, i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi Amy. Here are a couple of ideas to consider:

1. Effective Jan 1,2014 I understand that pre-existing condition restrictions will no longer apply to getting health insurance in the US......assuming that the Affordable Care Act is not repealed. I sure hope not......I fought the pre-existing condition problem throughout my working life.

2. Currently, in the US, if you have medical insurance in force you can transfer to a different insurer without re-satisfying a pre-existing clause....assuming you had satisfied that clause in the older policy. That is the way it was when I retired from the health insurance business...and I think it still applies. However, how that might work coming from a foreign to a domestic insurer, I am uncertain.

3. I would certainly contact the school you are planning to attend.....they may have special programs for foreign students.

4. You may be able to continue your home coverage and can return to India if a serious problem develops and if you can't get domestic coverage.

Good Luck

Thank you for the reply, i was just going through the norms and was confused abt this point

"One exception: Grandfathered individual health insurance plans
The only exception is for grandfathered individual health insurance plans--the kind you buy yourself, not through an employer. They do not have to cover pre-existing conditions.

If you have one of these plans you can switch to a Marketplace plan during open enrollment and immediately get coverage for your pre-existing conditions."

I did not really understand what they meant here. Can you crack this point for me pls?

P.s that norm link is "https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-i-have-a-pre-existing-health-condition/"

thanks

Amy, I have been retired from health insurance for 17+ years and am not up to speed on all the provisions of the new US "Affordable Care Act"....and I sure don't want to mislead. I am not sure what "Grandfather exception" really means, altho it appears that current "in-force" individual plans may be exempt from the new laws. I also saw a section regarding "student heath insurance" while searching "www.healthcare.gov". Sounds like that might be an answer to you concern. Contact your school for information on those plans. Most schools now have large group insurance plans designed for students while they are attending that school and those plans will have to adhere to the provisions of the new law.

Amy, I just looked at the health services page on the website for my alma mater, Stephen F. Austin State University (Nacogdoches TX). It says that most of its medical services are free, with the exception of immunizations and a few other items. I remember visiting the clinic several times (sore throats, sinus infections, etc.) when I went there. There is also a link to a university-endorsed insurance policy offered by an outside business.
http://www.sas-mn.com/
At the website you can look to see if your school works with this business for student insurance policies. It does not operate in all states or with all universities in each state.
I checked out the website for the University of Texas at Austin, one of the largest state-supported universities in the U.S. with approx. 52,200 students in the fall of 2012. United HealthCare apparently has provided insurance for UT-Austin students not covered by other insurance.
You'll need to check the website for the university where you will be attending to find information about health services and links to endorsed insurance plans offered by outside businesses.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info dick. :)

Catwomen thank you so much but my state does not come under that insurance plans. :(

Have you explored your university's website for what health services are offered? It should have a link to a company it has endorsed for offering medical insurance for students. With the University of Texas system's website, I had to play around with different pages to find the health service information.
A number of companies offer medical insurance to students. Some work with the larger university systems, some work with schools that are smaller independent. Not all companies operate in all states in the U.S.

Amy,
What school you are planning to attend? More than half of colleges and universities sponsor their own health insurance plans for students, according to a 2008 report by the GAO.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/perfi/college/2010-08-20-personalfinance20_ST_N.htm

I suggest you call your schools admissions office and confirm. I checked Northern Arizona University and they offer healthcare with no limitations on pre-existing conditions. If you are set on a school that doesn't offer health care, then at least in 2014 the health care law changes will prevent insurers from imposing pre-existing condition limitations. In the meantime it could be tough to find a private plan, and it may change in 2014 when the new law kicks in. The benefits page of the plan that you linked above has options with either a 180 day waiting period for pre-existing conditions, or a limitation of 25,000 coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Thank you guys, i dropped a mail to my college to check with then on it. lets c what they suggest. :)

Latest posts

Back