INR Ups and downs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit, a cold Lone Star in downtown Luckenbach on a hot afternoon isn't bad, but ,,,,,

I'm just glad to find out i'm not the only one going for a ride with my levels durring these hot summer months.. running high, they wanted to cut 2 days worth.. I said no, will cut one day, but not 2.. they're like you'll be fine because your 4.4 (4.9 last wk) i still insisted i did'nt want that big of a drop.. can't wait until september.

ps.. for those not familiar.. Tea Tree Oil is anti-everything.. it's a natural antibiotic, antifungal, you name it, it kills it.. it's great durring the flu and cold season.. i put some drops in a water difuser.. (tea light candle under a popurie burner) and it keeps the air sanatized in my home..

laugh more later.. have more news to share.. need to tell the boss first..

christine:cool:

Over here in Scotland, where the sun's an occasional but most welcome visitor, my INR has also shot up this summer. On holiday, so eating and drinking habits are a bit different but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. Does anyone have a simple answer to this? What foods make it go up and, you guessed it, what foods make it go down? Cheers.

A first, for me

A first, for me

Well, last Sunday I had a first. I'm assuming that my INR was high, as I ended up with a nose bleed. Not just a "blow your nose and there's blood" kind of nose bleed, but a "running out of the nose" kind of nose bleed. I had had a salad and broccoli the day before, and then had spinich that day because of the nose bleed. When I finally got home (I was out of town for the weekend and heading back that day) I tested my INR and it was only 3.7. I've been MUCH higher than that and not gotten a nose bleed. So why would I get one now? It couldn't be drier air, as it was much more humid in the city I was visiting. At any rate, it was QUITE embarassing, to say the least.

I don't know Niki, the other day while shaving I knicked my face and that little spot bled and bled. I thought I was going to have to wrap my whole head up in gauze. I mean to tell you it wouldn't stop. Pillow case is all bloody, woke up with dried blood all over my face, etc,. I tested at 3.7. It never happened to me before either. :(

Hi All
Yep, checked Tyce's INR last night and it was back to 4.7....veggies and v8 and tomorrow 5.0 instead of 7.5. No way will we give up our glass of wine!! He has also been working outside sawing down our deck and rewaterproofing the block as we had a leak, so he definitely has been busy.......Actually, I just think it's summer!

E

Weather?

Weather?

Hi everyone!!

It sure is curious..I'm on the coast where the temp stays between 55-75 all year around with a few exceptions. My INR stays the same regardless of season.

Now you all have me wondering if that would change if I were to travel and stay somewhere in the heat. I avoid the heat simply because I don't like it..but..hmmmm...I wonder.

If I ever take a vacation in the 'hot' months (not likely) I'll be sure to keep a close watch on my INR with my handy-dandy Pro-Time..:) and report it here. Everyone comes to see me and cool off in summer so here I stay!:cool:

Now it's MY turn

Now it's MY turn

Moseyed into the lab this past Monday - OOPS - inr 6.6! Nothing odd during the weekend - not a single extra drink, didn't change diet, no company, no trips, no nothing, etc. I was sure the lab was mistaken, but drank a V8 and skipped my evening glass of wine. Retested on Tuesday, 4.7. ARGH

So doc had me cut dosage in half for two days and reduce by 10% over the week (it's so nice to have a doc who at least tries not to rock the boat like the last one).

It must be the summer curse - and Rain, if it helps, PLEASE keep your dog out of the garden.

Seems odd, tho - when the inr has been high in the past I've had symptoms - even at 4.5 my gums would bleed, have mild nosebleeding, and nasty taste in mouth. This time, even tho it was much higher, I had no clue.

I've had nosebleeds with "normal" INRs. But remember, our "normal" is still high (real normal is 1.0), so an occasional nosebleed is expected, as long as it stops in a reasonable amount of time. I've also had nosebleeds with high INRs, so it's probably smart to have a stick just in case.

My highest INR of 7.2 caused bleeding from my ear. I'm not exactly sure where the blood was coming from.

My gums have bled for my entire life, so this is never a good indicator for me.

Stick?

Stick?

Shat kind of stick are you taking about, Lisa? I've yet to have a problem with nosebleeds, but one of the lifeguards at the camp I was workin at was sent to the hospital because they couldn't get her nose to stop bleeding...
Will

Sorry, I should have said INR check or something similar - fingerstick or stick with a needle is what I was referring to. Too long in healthcare I guess.

Ok, here's the latest in the continuing up and down saga!!!

Yes, Tyce has been working outside shoveling dirt and taking down our deck in prep for a new one.....Yes, we have been having battery trouble with our protime unit from day one....doesn't keep a charge fully, even when it was discharged completely. Yes, QAS sent me a second unit so they could take our unit back and correct the battery problem.......SOOOOOO when Tyce tests 5.8 on our unit, on a charge, and 8.3 on the new "professional" unit......what do ya'll think is wrong.

Anyway, we decreased his warfarin tonight from 7.5 to 2.5, faxed his results into our cardio's office to see what they say, and will test again in a few days....Any suggestions????

Evelyn

Treat it like it is the 8.3. With your own unit you can check every day.

Remember that the INR was designed to give correct readings in the therapeutic range. The higher the number, the less likely it is that two units will give the same number. It is not a very good system, but it is the best so far.

mine's too low

mine's too low

I've been reading through the posts about all the high readings in the summer, but mine has been too low for many months now. I really watch my green intake, plus my hubby and I enjoy a glass of cabernet and some great jazz on the back porch every night, but my darned readings are always dipping. In fact, I had a gray curtain episode a few weeks ago (1.9), my nurse pumped me full of a few days of 12 mg. -- it went up to 3.6 and then wouldn't you know it, last Friday, it was back down to 1.9. She's got me on 6 mg. alternating with 9 mg. three days per week now so we'll see.
To my fellow Hoosier buddy,Chris, I agree with you on the Black Opal - especially that cabernet/shiraz blend. Although, I recently bought a bottle of Cosentino (sp) cabernet franc for a sis-in-law who recently returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan, and let me tell you....it was pure heaven. (expensive though)

Sherry

Sherry

Do you home test? Protime.. After 6 years..you should be fairly stable after finding your correct dosage .Have you been fairly stable?Other than Vit K lowing INR'S...I, wonder what else could do it? I am so lucky. My dosage has been the same for over a year and always in range. If it does hit 3.5..I eat cabbage..Yummy with cornbeef. Home testing is wonderful. You can catch it quickly if you feel like you may be out of range..Like gum bleeding, ect..Best of luck on getting it back into range. Bonnie:)

Hi All

We just tested at the cardio's and Tyce's crazy INR was 4.0.....came home and tested on our trusty Protime and he was 3.7. He halved his dose on Sunday and Monday to 2.5 and will resume normal 5.0 from now on.......just love that Protime!!! I do think the Protime is more accurate than the coaguchek.....any opinions?

Evelyn

Back