INR Rollercoaster/Dad's Heart Attack

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiddo

Hi All.

I need some help. My dad had a minor heart attack almost 2 weeks ago (on 10/31) and was hospitalized for about a week. While in the hospital, they held his coumadin dose in prep for an angioplasty, which he never had (long story). In order to raise his INR, he was placed on a heparin drip and ultimately resumed coumadin but was given a larger dose than usual….I don’t have all the details of what he took while he was in the hospital. He came home last Saturday and here is his INR record since then. His normal range is 2.0-3.0.

Saturday – INR was 2.5 when he left the hospital…since dad was given a large amount of coumadin while in the hospital, he was advised to hold the dose this night due to the prolonged effect.
Sunday – 10 mg (usual dose is 12.5 mg)
Monday – INR was 1.7….he was told to resume his usual dose of 15 mg this night.
Tuesday – 15 mg (usual dose)
Wednesday – 15 mg (usual dose)
Thursday – 12.5 mg (usual dose)
Friday (today) – INR 3.1, coumadin clinic is advising him to hold his dose tonight and resume his usual schedule starting tomorrow and retest on Monday.

Dad’s usual schedule is as follows: M, T, W, F – 15 mg & S, Th – 12.5 mg)

Since he came home from the hospital, he has been eating healthier, so his diet has somewhat changed. He has also started walking about an hour per day.

What would you do….hold coumadin tonight, reduce it below the usual dose of 15 mg or take the usual dose?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jennie

NO hold. Just go with regular dosing. If he's slightly over, it's not a big deal. It is a big deal if he's under.

Thanks for your advice. He ended up holding his does and now his INR is 1.8....he is also in the hospital for more heart issues....I will post in a different forum. Thanks. Jennie

Latest posts

Back