INR Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hello all,

In the last week, my INR has dropped by .7, from 2.8 to 2.1, so I am still within normal limits for On-X (I believe it's 2.0-3.0). I am taking 5.5mg, except for Mon/Wed/Fri, where I take 6mg. I upped my dose today to 6mg per day, 7 days a week. My goal INR is 2.7-2.8.

Is it possible that the HOT weather is lowering my INR? Because I've been therapeutic for over 6 weeks now..

Also, I've been way more active as of late. Could that be a factor in lowering my INR?

For all of you AVR'ers that have had your valve throughout the seasons: do you see INR fluctuation between the seasons? Namely Summer and Winter?

Thanks for your help! God bless!

Pgammo, I am still in my first year on all this, but so far, having started in the cold of winter (if you can call our winters here in San Diego cold), and leading up until this hot summer weather, my INR has been pretty stable right at 2.3 with the exceptions of when I had antibiotics, etc that were clearly the cause of big swings.

Hello all,

In the last week, my INR has dropped by .7, from 2.8 to 2.1, so I am still within normal limits for On-X (I believe it's 2.0-3.0). I am taking 5.5mg, except for Mon/Wed/Fri, where I take 6mg. I upped my dose today to 6mg per day, 7 days a week. My goal INR is 2.7-2.8.

Is it possible that the HOT weather is lowering my INR? Because I've been therapeutic for over 6 weeks now..

Also, I've been way more active as of late. Could that be a factor in lowering my INR?

For all of you AVR'ers that have had your valve throughout the seasons: do you see INR fluctuation between the seasons? Namely Summer and Winter?

Thanks for your help! God bless!

The 2.1 may have been due to a test variance and a .6 variance is not a "huge" deal. You will not be able to maintain an INR goal of 2.7-2.8 and anywhere between 2-3 is a realistic goal.

I have not found that weather has much, if any, affect on my INR

Activity will affect my INR....a little. Since your surgery was very recent, it is probable that your increasing activity level will cause your INR to drop some and a dosage increase will be warranted. Always increase your dosage in small increments to prevent a yo-yo effect. Your .5 increase x 4 days/wk should move your INR up closer to 3.0.

There are a lot of things that can change INR....diet, activity, testing tolerances in meter/strips, and, as I found out recently, changing brands of warfarin. INR maintenance is not an exact science and trying to stay within very close ranges, for me, has never been possible. I only guard against trend changes when I show a trend towards the hi or lo end of my range(2.5-3.5). Nowdays, with the convenience of "finger stick" testing.....and realizing that successful INR management allows for a fairly wide range, ACT is, normally, not difficult.....that's why they give us a one point spread, either 2-3 or 2.5-3.5. Personally, I ony get concerned when I fall to around 2 or above 4.

Hot weather, interesting question. I do feel for me activity level and metabolic rate affects my results. When I work out more it seems I need a little 2.mg booster from time to time. It could be that heat may also affect the metabolism depending on how much time you are out in it and what you do while in the heat. The same argument could be made for being very cold. Sometimes I think INR drops just to mess with us.

i have found that weather (actually hydration level) make a difference.
so when its hot if you dont keep yourself well hydrated (or more exersise) you get
changes in INR.

I think the reason there is an INR range, such as 2-3 is that it is constantly changing. As Julian said, everyone is different- alcohol, weather, exercise, food all effects INR in different ways. For me, being more active, doing more lowers my INR slightly. The great thing about home testing is that we can monitor this on a much more frequent basis.

Peter my cardio gave me a standing lab order so I can check my home unit and the same unit they use at the clinic all at the same time along with the lab results. He wants to see how much of a difference between the 3. A couple of weeks ago I got 1.5 at lab while my home unit got 2.0 and a week later the clinic unit also showed 2.0. Geez...

Are you eating more fruits and veggies, especially the green, leafy veggies? Are you more physically active, like walking more? Either one coudl be the culprit, or medication changes. I have had mine drop once or twice during the summer if I am suffering allergies and take meds for it. Or doing more walking or eating more salad. Just do not change anything, it could be normal the next time. Good luck and hugs for today.

Hot weather, interesting question. I do feel for me activity level and metabolic rate affects my results. When I work out more it seems I need a little 2.mg booster from time to time. It could be that heat may also affect the metabolism depending on how much time you are out in it and what you do while in the heat. The same argument could be made for being very cold. Sometimes I think INR drops just to mess with us.

Ditto on what hook said. The harder I lift the more warfarin my body requires.

Latest posts

Back