Info Needed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roberdowski

WOW have been reading everything i can on Heart Valves and what to replace them with. Is there something as too much info? I was aware of a Heart Murmer when I was around 12 Years old. I'm now 57. My family Dr. at the time had me taking Penicellin daily as a child. Ignored that advise as a teen but was reminded by my Dr that my heart was enlarged and I still have a murmer. 40 yrs later I needed a hip replaced so as part of the pre surgical testing i took a stress test. having a hip problem it was administered by injecting a necular??? solution into me. I failed it miserably. thought it was all over, felt like i was going to pass out etc. I was cleared for hip surgury But not my heart has become the issue. Echos 2 so far since march 2005 and a T.E.E.scheduled for friday 11-11-2005. My heart efficiency is 58% per my doctor. I had an angioplast done before my hip Surgury in march showed only (only) a 40% blockage in one artery. I guess thats what helped clear me for my Hip surgury. So, where am I . I asked my Dr. what valves are damaged . He said all show some damage but Mirtal and Aortic valves have to be dealt with. The TEE should give me more info but then it looks like surgery. Mechanical or Memorex thats the question any thoughts. Bob A.

Bob A., you're maybe five miles from me, as I sit here on the eastern fringe of Bridgewater, NJ.

We've certainly had a lot of discussions on this site about what valve types are best. The consensus is: whichever one lets you continue to live and thrive.

I assume by efficiency you're probably referring to your EF, or ejection fraction. If so, 58% is right in the normal range, believe it or not.

It will help if we know your age, and any major health issues that might affect your choice. Also, if you've had some time to look at things, how you feel about what you've seen so far.

It would also be best to move this out to a separate thread in Pre-Surgery, so that we don't step on Patty's input, and so there'll be room for yours.

Perhaps Ross can arrange that in a spare moment?

Best wishes,

update

update

Had my TEE done and then had a meeting with my cardioligist. Looks like my Mitral valve needs repair and the Aortic valve needs to be replaced. I've made an appt. with a surgeon for Dec 8th to talk about what he feels needs to be done and when. In talking with my cardiologist he said that repairing the mitral at my age (57) is the better idea even though the downside is staying on the bypass machine longer to do the repair along with the aortic replacement . Many questions................any thoughts? Bob A.

Confusion

Confusion

Bob.
Congratulations on finding this site pre-surgery. I am also in the waiting room & have surgery scheduled for January 18 here in Atlanta. As mentioned in the threads above "valve choice" is definitely the hottest topic on this site and you will find ALOT of info here...the problem will be deciphering all the info and making the decision thats best for you. I have recently gone thru this process and can assure you that you will receive support from everyone on this site regardless of your valve choice. As one of the members told me the only wrong choice is "not making a choice". Go back and read some of the threads on AVR and specifically the threads from tobagotwo who has done tremendous research on this topic. Ultimately the decision is yours however sometimes on this site, especially with the topic valve choice, members will question the reasoning behind your choice & it can become annoying & confusing. The only person that needs to be comfortable with the decision is YOU & the purpose of this forum should be to provide you with the hopefully un-biased information so that you can make the best decision. Good luck with your quest for info & your forthcoming surgery. Be thankful that you have the time to research your options, then make a decision & rest easy until surgery...easier said than done I know...but do your best.

From the waiting room...
deane

Bob

Bob

I read your profile..Hobbies, woodworking and motorcycle riding...... Now, about which valve choice..:D You are age 57..in the zone..where you need to think..should I go tissue and keep going with my hobbies..and not be worried if I fall on my motorcycle or cut myself doing woodworking.. and..yet, face another surgery at age 67-72?..........Or..should I go mechanical..take coumadin every day.. and never face surgery again....Hard decision....Now, I am age 65..take coumadin so I will never have to put my family thru another surgery...They were wonderful helping me out..for several months...but, they are young with their own family....and would hate to think..if I had gone tissue..they would have to take care of me in another 15 years.......Coumadin is not the bad drug..only have to be careful not to fall and hit my head..:eek: I have an age 13 year old Grandson that cannot keep up with me.:D And 2 new ones from Russia .Ages 2 and 4..that climb all over me..No bruises or bleeding from them.:D ..Drugs do affect your INR..when taking coumadin.. and seing that you had a hip replacement..don't know what drugs you are on..me..none.:D ......So far..:p Like all other said..read all the threads..on this forum...and make up your own decision..which is what all of us have done....Must be working for all of us...we are still here posting:D Bonnie

Latest posts

Back