Infection valve replacement Nurses/Doctors

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManEmu

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
After my AVR the doctors were enthusiastic on getting me out of hospital as soon as possible to avoid infection of my new valve.
We all know about hospitals being repositories of particularly virulent infections.
For medical staff (Nurses/Doctors) that work in the hospital sector that may have had a valve replacement/repair is this risk of infection an ongoing issue after you valve replacement incision has healed.
If so do worry about this or take extra precautions.

So far as I have been able to determine, the heightened risk profile for both endocarditis and stroke lasts until all the epithelium inside the heart and blood vessels has properly healed, as unhealed areas seem to be the magnet for bad things. The general estimate for this is two months for a "standard" AVR and up to six months when extensive arterial/aortic work is also done.

During that time, it is best to avoid invasive procedures (such as colonoscopies or piercings) and dental work (such as cleanings) which would normally require the use of antibiotics for a valver. If you really must do something of this nature, you should strongly consider an IV drip antibiotic for it during that time span.

I would also be fastidious about Coumadin usage or maintaining prescribed aspirin or Plavix use during this period.

Remember that at least one study has shown a reduced efficacy for enteric-coated types of aspirin, so if you're taking low-dose (81 mg) and they're coated to avoid stomach upset, ask your doctor about upping your dose. Example, two, instead of one. A regular aspirin is 325 mg. Two 81 mg tablets is 162 mg, so you're still at very low dosage. I take two 81 mg tablets every day, as it's hard to find aspirin that's not enterically coated.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back