Induction oven and mechanical valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc_kowal

This may be a stupid question, but do us mechanical valvers have to worry about being around induction ovens since they basically use magnets to cook? We were looking at maybe getting one, but wasn't sure if this could be a problem for me.

~Marc

I have an induction cooktop (actually, just a disk with the magnetic stuff under the surface). I don't think there would be a problem with this oven. I doubt that, even if you were to rest your chest directly on top of the cooktop, that the magnetic drivers would be powerful enough to do anything to your mechanical valve.
It's not like the microwave oven / pacemaker issues that we used to (and possibly still do) hear about -- The magnetic stuff is too weak to have any effect.
One more thing -- I have a 25 year old St. Jude Valve ticking in my chest. I have a card that I got along with the valve - the valve was free but the card cost $8800 - and it said that this valve is safe for use in an MRI. MRIs generate many orders of magnitude stronger magnetic fields than an induction cooktop.
You can always call your valve manufacturer for an answer, but I'm pretty sure that you can get that cooker without concern about your valve.

marc_kowal;n867399 said:
This may be a stupid question, but do us mechanical valvers have to worry about being around induction ovens since they basically use magnets to cook? We were looking at maybe getting one, but wasn't sure if this could be a problem for me.

the valves these days are pyrolytic carbon ... not metal ...

In an induction cooker, a coil of copper wire is placed under the cooking pot and an alternating electric current is passed through it. The resulting oscillating magnetic field induces a magnetic flux which repeatedly magnetises the pot, treating it like the lossy magnetic core of a transformer. This produces large eddy currents in the pot, which because of the resistance of the pot, heats it.
For nearly all models of induction cooktops, a cooking vessel must be made of, or contain, aferromagnetic metal such as cast iron or some stainless steels. However, copper, glass, non magnetic stainless steels, and aluminum vessels can be used if placed on a ferromagnetic disk which functions as a conventional hotplate.

:)

Didn't think it would be a problem. Now my wife needs to figure out another way to collect on my life insurance! :Face-Laugh:

Latest posts

Back