Incision Site/ Type

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

My doctor has indicated it is completely up to me whether he does a mini-sternotomy (or is it sternectomy?) or an incision on the side between my ribs (thoracotomy??). I have been told that the sternotomy is less painful because there's really no muscle there, and you don't really move your sternum during normal movements, but a thoracotomy incision is stretched every time you breathe. I've seen back and shoulder pain discussed here often...does that come more from the sternotomy or does it happen with both? I've also seen people mention what seems like longer term sternum pain/aches. If I choose sternotomy am I trading less severe long term pain for more intense short term pain? I'm also curious about whether there is a difference in weight restrictions. I have a 35ish pound 3 year old...Will I be able to lift her again sooner if I don't let them cut through my sternum? I should also mention, that the only other surgery I've had as an adult was a C-section, so I don't have much to base my pain tolerance on. I am however super sensitive to medication and have been sick from any pain meds stronger than tylenol that I have taken (morphine, codeine, vicodin).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...I think this is my last major decision...(already picked my surgeon, Dr. Bolling at U of Mich, and already made a valve selection (Moo!) just in case the repair is unsuccessful...which it won't be...that's my positive attitude)

Hi. Going in myself 2-9. & had same decisions. So while I've not gone thru it I have talked w- drs who say that the rib thing is verrrrry painful. I'm hoping for a mini myself & while older that u - am I good shape & great attitude. I'll be mooing too
Stay well & in touch. What's interesting is your dr offering u a choice. While I asked for mini was told i am a good candidate for it & he do it unless he needed to do more. So between a rock & a hrd place les just get it done & move on.

Thx & best of luck. Nancy Jane

Best of luck to you as well Nancy! My surgery is Feb 28, so I should still be here watching for your post op post when your time comes, but I'll be joining the team shortly after! (I tried to respond to your PM, but I'm not sure if it went through...I love my iPad, but it's not always as easy to maneuver around on th touch screen)

This is fine & yes I love my I pad too. We ll both do great I know. Sounds as to we re healthy enuf to handle it all. I'm still travelling - speaking a lot this January & then 2-8 thy will do tests & next day zappo ! New muffler as I told the grand kids !

WQLR. territory ! Have dear friends there & very close cousins in ann arbor ! Great hospital. Good luck & can't wait to hear fro m u. I always wonder to why there s. so much difference in. The time spam of the Cathy's. Hmmm,

I can't speak for anything but the "zipper". I had little pain in the incision area and did not need anything but an occasional Tylenol. You WILL WANT your heart pillow for that cough or sneeze close by. My major discomfort was not being able to lie down to sleep for two weeks. I slept in the recliner. I was good and didn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk!

Bob

I had a discussion about the different types of minimally invasive procedures with my surgeon when we were getting our second opinion (the first surgeon did not have nearly as much experience). He said that he preferred to go with a mini over the others, because if anything serious happened during the surgery they would have to go with a full sternotomy, which was far easier if they had started with a mini. He also said that there would be pain involved with any of the three procedures, because the bottom line is that they do have to disrupt large parts of you body to get into your heart for the repair.

My if-needed choice going into the surgery was to moo too, and only thing I recall from first waking up from recovery was giving a thumbs up when the doctor told me that he was able to repair instead of replace my valve.

Hey 2izzy, I go in Feb 23, just a few days before you. As far as these procedures I wasn't given an option, I was told what is best for me. However my surgeon told me he may not have to cut all of my sternum open, I'm not crossing my fingers. I most likely will have it fully open.

You're in my thoughts and wish you nothing but success with your surgery.

PS. Go Michigan!!

I was supposed to have a mini. But doc said when they got in, they found the heart was deeper in the chest and larger than they expected and he felt it was safer to go with a full cut. He told me healing would be no different after 3 months, which I am coming up on. I had researched going elsewhere and getting the one between the ribs, but started finding people who said they got permanant nerve damage.

Latest posts

Back