In shock – 12 great years later -- UPDATE

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristine55

Thanks to everyone for keeping my thread alive. I'm glad that my situation has generated good discussion and debate.

It's been almost three months since my diagnosis and initial post. As many of you will remember, at my annual cardiology exam, a dilated aortic root (5.3mm) was observed in the Medtronic Freestyle aortic root bioprosthesis I had implanted 12 years ago. While the valve is in pretty good shape, the aortic root aneurysm is driving my need for surgery. The valve will be replaced at the same time the root is addressed.

During these last two months, I have spent lots of time talking to many people and thinking through options for my replacement. My first surgery was at Northwestern in Chicago, but I sought a second opinion at the Mayo Clinic (my aunt is a retired cardiologist and is my third opinion). Given the location of my aneurysm, all parties agree that open heart surgery is the only option for addressing the issue. I have debated, and debated (and debated some more) the decision between a mechanical valve and a tissue valve. As everyone on this forum knows, there is no right or wrong choice. It's such a personal decision. And given the great experience I've had over these past 12 years, I am going to have a Vascutek dacron graft with an Edwards Perimount valve. I am scheduled for surgery this Friday, June 29th at Northwestern in Chicago. The entire Freestyle bioprothesis will be removed, the aortic root will be addressed and the valve will be replaced.

A few things:

1) I am SO happy to have this decision made. We all know that once you've finalized what you're going to do, you just breathe easier. It's the indecision that is really unsettling!

2) I underestimated the emotional toll of these past 11 weeks. The last time, it was six weeks between my diagnosis and my surgery... enough time to find VR.org, do my research, make a decision and have surgery. Bang, bang, bang and it was over; I was on the road to recovery and feeling great. This time, the surgeon I wanted to do the procedure was traveling outside the country in May, so my surgery date was pushed out. Having twice the amount of time this go 'round felt like a LONG time, I think mainly because I was unsettled with the valve choice. (I now have great empathy for those of you that have been in the "waiting room" for years!) Time and indecision can play tricks with your head. Finalizing your decision really gives you strength and peace.

3) Thanks to this forum, as well as my past experience, I feel ready for Friday. I know what to expect and I feel very prepared. Apprehensive? Yes. But sooooo ready to have this behind me and move on with my life.

I'll make sure the forum is updated with my condition after surgery. Thanks again for all of your recommendations and good thoughts. I'll talk to you on the other side!

Kristine

"In the Waiting Room", June 2018, age 55
AVR May 2006, age 43
Medtronic Freestyle Aortic Root Heart Valve 29mm, Ascending Aorta Repair
Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you are happy with your decision. You are so right...it is a very personal decision and the valvers on this site helped me make mine almost three years ago.

I wish you the best in your surgery and recovery and look forward to seeing you on the other side.

Hugs,
Michele

Hello! I have heard briefly from Kristine's husband. Her surgery was almost 6 hours long and successful. Her old aortic root and porcine valve were replaced with a Dacron sleeve and bovine valve. The surgeon thought that she might have a few rough days in the beginning, but that all would be well. Hopefully she will be able to get online soon and give us the full story.
Best wishes to Kristine!!!!!

Marguerite53;n883915 said:
Hello! I have heard briefly from Kristine's husband. Her surgery was almost 6 hours long and successful. Her old aortic root and porcine valve were replaced with a Dacron sleeve and bovine valve. The surgeon thought that she might have a few rough days in the beginning, but that all would be well. Hopefully she will be able to get online soon and give us the full story.
Best wishes to Kristine!!!!!

Thanks for the update, Marguerite! Continuing my most positive thoughts for Kristine and praying that she has a smooth recovery.

I wish you the best with your surgery.
I was just diagnosed with a thoracic aortic aneurysm at 4.7 cm. It came right at the one year mark of my AVR surgery.
Is this common for people who have had value replacement surgery?Can’t believe someone else is going through the same thing. Praying for you!

Hello from the other side!

It's Kristine55 and I am thrilled to say, nearly three weeks after my second open heart surgery, that I am feeling so good and happily recuperating.

Following surgery, I spent 3 days in the cardiac ICU and then 4 days in the step down unit (it probably would have been a day less but I was hospitalized over the July 4th holiday). The pain drugs seem to be even more improved than 12 years ago and I floated through that week in the hospital feeling good, with more discomfort than pain. I was discharged almost two weeks ago and I've seen progress, albeit slow, every day. My surgeon and cardiologist warned me that it would be a more gradual recovery than the first time and it has been. I just have less energy and stamina than 12 years ago -- aging is just tough all the way around!

I'm on Warfarin for these first 90 days, then my surgeon and cardiologist expect me to transition to the 2 baby aspirin that I took daily for the last 12 years with my previous tissue valve. I'm walking a little every day and, at this point, I can walk to the end of the block with my husband. I expect to be cleared to start cardiac rehab in September, however, we've dubbed this the Summer of Recovery... no timetable, just healing and recuperation!

All in all, I just feel so good. Gratitude is my overwhelming emotion. I'm so thankful to the entire staff at Northwestern: the surgeon and his group, my fantastic cardiologist and, of course, the incredible nursing and support team. As many of us know, those nurses are the ones who truly make your hospital stay. Northwestern just has a top-notch team of professionals all the way around.

Finally, thanks to Marguerite53 for sharing the news of my successful surgery with the forum. I so appreciate the support and dialogue with Marguerite, as well as all of you here on VR.org. This is such an important and valuable community for those of us going through heart valve issues. Thanks for your support -- onward and upward!

Kristine

AVR and aortic root repair, June 29, 2018, age 55
Bovine tissue valve; Edwards Perimount 2700TFX 25mm
AVR and ascending aorta repair, May 12, 2006, age 43
Porcine tissue valve; Medtronic Freestyle Aortic Root Heart Valve
Both surgeries successfully conducted at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL

Kristine55;n884245 said:
Hello from the other side!

It's Kristine55 and I am thrilled to say, nearly three weeks after my second open heart surgery, that I am feeling so good and happily recuperating.

welcome and happy to hear you're ok

Latest posts

Back