I'm on the waiting list!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T-shirts

T-shirts

I actually found that taking OFF t-shirts was much more difficult than putting them on. I had this one sun dress that I wore after I'd come home (it was a comfy outfit I could wear out of the house) and it went on without a hitch. Then I tried to take it off. YIKES! I had to call my mother in for help to get out of it. A little bit embarassing, but oh well.

Button shirts are definately best for awhile. I actually went ahead and wore the hospital gowns the whole time in the hospital, simply because they would provide new ones and wash them for me. Also, not a problem if any blood happened to spill on it (which I think it did once). I always asked for two, though. I'd put one on with the opening in the back, then the other over it with the opening in the front like a robe. Didn't have to worry about tying it, even. MUCH more comfortable to walk around in that way. Just a suggestion, if you can get a second gown.

It's going to be a while longer

It's going to be a while longer

Just to let you know that I had my pre-admission appointment yesterday, and I am unlikely to have my surgery for another 6 - 8 weeks, but it may be sooner if a cancellation crops up. In fairness, the surgeon did only say at my original appointment that he hoped to do the operation before Christmas, it was just my GP who felt it would be 2 - 3 weeks after the pre-op appointment.

I am being positive about the delay as it will allow me to be more rested and to sort a few more things out at home.

The pre-op was good, although different in some ways to what others had said. Didn't see the anaesthetist or physio, but got a booklet on breathing exercises, plus one on warfarin. That was other information available in printed form, but the other patient and I already had it. Saw a video. Had a scan on carotid artery (routine with my surgoen) also tubes of antibacterial cream to apply to nose and groin 5 days before admission to help prevent MRSA (hospital infection). ECG, lung function, Chest Xray. Nurse spoke to us at length on what to expect. Interview with a junior doctor who booked me in. Didn't see consultant, but already had decided on type of valve - mechanical if bloods ok to take warfaring (coumadin). Bloods taken, and the best of all, ..... a cup of tea!!!

All the things I have learned from all of you helped me a lot to ask the right questions, so once again, many, many thanks.:cool:

Hi Jane....So glad you have been through preadmission. It seems as though you've been waiting a long time for this. I agree, this list is absolutely the best in that everyone is such a wealth of knowledge and advice and will point you in the right direction. I know things will go fine for you and wish you the very best. I will definitely put you in my prayers when the time comes.

Evelyn

Latest posts

Back