I'm on the waiting list!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jane

Just to let you know that I saw my surgeon yesterday about the date of my avr. He wants to operate asap, but of course, in the good old NHS, this means going on the waiting list. However, he says that I should only have to wait 2 - 3 months.

I am so relieved, because I am now getting so exhausted now after minimal exertion, plus tightness across collar bone, chest and throat. I feared I might have to wait another 9 - 12 months and I just couldn't see how I was going to cope.

He says he has to check the clotting of my blood as I bruise easily, but if all is well I will have a mechanical valve.

Seeing the cardiologist again on Oct 3rd.

Keep us posted Jane, we will all be pulling for you. Just take it easy until surgery. Then you will be getting better and better.

Hi Jane -

That's really good news. I remember those awful symptoms when my husband had them. Your surgery will be here soon. You have just enough time to get things ready for your recovery phase. Then all those terrible symptoms will gradually melt away.

We'll be here for you. Let us know the date so we can put you on the calender.

Your Surgery

Your Surgery

Hi Jane,

I hope you get your date soon,

I had my AVR done on the NHS I waited 6 months, so was pretty lucky.

Back in 1999 I had a major surgery on my leg, and I waited 18 months for that.

I too had a mechanical Valve and thankfully have had no problems, my INR is a bit up and down but I suppose that will settle down.

So try and relax and keep healthy, avoid people with colds and flu

You could ask your GP about a Flu Jab as the last thing you want now is flu while you are awaiting surgery

Keep smiling

Jan

Hey Jane - glad to hear things are in the works. But sorry you are on a waiting list. Been through that with Gillian, Scottie and a few others over the pond. Course, they told us if it had been an emergency, they would be taken care of. We are on the road with you so just hang tight and we all will get up that old mountain with you. God bless

Thank you all for your good wishes. Your support helps so much.

Last May (2001) when I was told the valve had to replaced in the next 10 years or so, I was so anxious and knew very little about it all. Then I found this place and got to learn more and more. The best was hearing all the positive news from the people who had already had valve replacements done and were feeling so much better.

I will definitely get a flu shot done, also a pneumonia one ( I should have had it done last winter, but was never well enough!)

I have just made an appointment with the dentist so he can check my teeth and gums over.

I am about 30 pounds overweight, which I am trying to reduce. How vital is it to be a textbook weight for my height? I am not enormous and my fat is mainly on my thighs and bum, not much round the torso.

Also a very delicate question.... How does the scar heal when one has quite an ample cleavage?? I had thought that I might have to tape one under each arm!!..I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I would like to know if anyone has encountered this problem.

At the moment I am so relieved that something is going to be done, but at times I also feel really scared, which I guess is normal.

I only get to use a computer in work, although I can go to the public library. Therefore if I am not in work, I am not online. I guess straight after the op I will have to be wheeled down to the library to let you all know how it went!!

I know your support will help me get through the next couple of months. Many, many thanks.

ok, guys, you don't need to read this one.

While in the hospital, Jane, the staff advised that I get athletic bras in cotton that hook in the front. I got some sleep bras. I always envied my sister, who had CLEAVAGE and I had none. After surgery, by golly, there it was. Guess they did a 'pull together' maneuver. I found that wearing the bra helped when you lie on your back. It keeps 'them' from falling under your arms and pulling in the middle!!! LOL

If you are a guy and you read this anyway, we are going to think up something really gross to post for you next time. Right, Sisters?

Scar Healing

Scar Healing

Jane,

The advice from Hensylee is so right,

Marks & Spencer do some nice cotton front fasteners in ALL sizes

I am what you would call ample size and my scar healed really well, without any problems athough it is now keloid

my only criticism is that the scar is not right in the centre of my cleavage, Its a bit off centre, but hey who cares,

Keep Smiling

Jan

Hi Jane....I'm Evelyn, of Evelyn and Tyce who had an AVR this past June. Welcome!!! This is a great place with lots of people who can help you, as you just saw from Henslyee. We've been here since about May/June and they took me from a babbling idiot to a person who dealt with the surgery just fine...well, pretty fine.

You'll do great! If there's anything we can help you with, just ask. Someone will step up and answer your questions. We'll also put you in our prayers, and that works wonders!!

Again, Welcome!!!

Evelyn

Thanks for all the advice on cleavage control. It is very helpful and definitely not the kind of thing you want to ask the average male consultant!!

The GP has now signed me off sick until after the operation so I will only be logging in here 2 -3 times a week at the local public library. As long as I have petrol in the car and I am conscious, I will come and log in to this site!!

Jane - when you go in for surgery, is there someone who can post to us to tell us you are fine? We always want to know about our heartbuddies as soon as possible - because we worry. God bless

Hi! I am hoping I will be able to persuade one of my colleagues at work to do the deed for me, and also to print out any replies, if I should be so lucky.

This site is a real life line for me, and I am holding on tight!!:)

This will be good - we always want and need to know our heartfriends are ok after surgery.

Hope you are hanging in and not getting too nervous about the surgery. We are so many in number, and most of the members have been through the surgery - and look at all the survivors - and in good health, too. You are in good company. Keep in touch as you are able. Ann (Hensylee)

Thank you, Ann, for your words of comfort! At the moment I am going through a fairly calm phase, this will no doubt be followed by a period of total panic, but I am enjoying it while it lasts.

I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he was so reassuring about the surgery and things in general that I felt really relieved. I just want to be better and to get on with my life. I think it has finally dawned on me that I am NOT going to feel this ill for ever, and I feel really excited about my new life.

This site is so wonderful as it means I can be in touch with real consumer experts in valve replacement and to know that I can get advice on really serious worries and also on even seemingly trivial problems, eg the bra problem!!

I'm jealous! after my surgery, my thingys just sank inward, and now I have NO cleavage, and NO boobs! I used undersirts. Hmmmm, I keep bugging my mom, but she doesn't think they'd do a boob job on me:rolleyes: NEED ONE!

Nah, Joy - you don't want 'em. When you are young, every day they wake up smiling at the sun til THAT day you wake and they have failed you- They are hanging their heads down to the ground and just in the way.

Hi Jane!

Hi Jane!

The people here are wonderful aren't they? I didn't have much time before my AVR to get much info, but since my surgery (2 weeks ago), everyone has been great! We are all here for any support that you may need. Take Care and Good Luck!

Creed3

Jane, I know you will do just fine for the surgery. Have they scheduled a date yet? Keep us posted. I care.

A friend in heart, Alicia

Hi Alicia! I am still waiting every morning for the letter with the date of the op to drop through the letterbox onto the mat . I'll let you know as soon as I do, I promise. Thanks for all your kindness, everybody.

Hey, Jane - hanging in there waiting with you. Shouldn't be long now, should it? Time passes quickly - maybe by Christmas it will be over and done. Take care. God bless

Latest posts

Back