Im Back!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needinfo

Well folks, its done and the healing has begun. Surgery was postponed until April 8 but all went well, got back home yesterday, and I just came in from a thirty minute walk. I am weening myself off the pain meds, but they sure come in handy at times. For all those who may read this and are questionimg whether or not to have surgery my suggestion is if the doctors says so, do it. I was informed in my post op consultation that my valve and aorta were in much worse shape than what showed on the echo and cath, and in Docs words I was a bomb ticking. I dont like the results of "bomb ticking". Anyhow, I have a new arota, and a porcine valve that are functioning perfectly via echo. These are wonderful words to hear cosidering all my life I have heard I have not so perfect ticker. It was like I recieved a new lease and I am so greatful.
I cant say enough about the Angels at UAB, and Dr Kirklin and his team. Members of his group were with me from the moment I woke up in CCU, until I was moved to the floor, and then were available the moment I needed them. They were in constant contact with my family op and post op updating them on my condition.
The human body and its healers are amazing. 6 days ago I was in the operating room with my heart sliced open and today I am well on the road to recovery. Maybe I am different, maybe I have a positive attitude that contributed to recovery, maybe I am just fortunate to not have faced the problems that others have on VR. I believe that it is the faith I possess in my Savior and the prayers that all have prayed for a speedy recovery.
Take care you guys, its been great....I will be in and out while I am home from work. I am getting used to being waited on hand and foot!
Tom

Welcome back, and congrats on a successful surgery. Just be careful you don't wear yourself out too quickly. 30 mins is a lot of walking this soon after surgery, although it sounds like you can handle it.

Being spoiled by your loved ones is the best part of the recovery. I'm gonna owe my wife a lot if she's ever in the same position as me, heaven forbid.

Good luck on the recovery! Hope it goes smoothly.

Thank you for your post. These details are very helpful to us who may be looking at surgery at some time. Glad you are doing so well!!

Tom,, Good work! You are doing great! Don't push yourself too hard though. All the best, Brian

Tom,

I know your faith and positive attitude are helping your healing. Like most I have been doing a lot of research and "they" can't say enough about how a positive attitude has measurable results in recovery. Good luck to you!!

Kris

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks fo all the words of encouragement. Doc says move at your own pace provided you feel up to it, so that is waht I am doing. Family, Faith, Laughter and a Positive Attitude have gotten me through this. Maybe I will post some pics so you can laugh at me!

Latest posts

Back