If your not into exercie-then what!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sylgeren

If everyone says you should walk alot. But you just don't. Then what.?? If you are alone and can't find a partner to walk with. Then what? I've run out of answers. Can anyone help.??

Syl-
I hated the walking too, but did it because I didn't want to mess up my new vavles. After my husband had to go back to school, he's a grad student, I walked on the treadmill at the gym. I watched t.v while I did it so I didn't really miss having a partner.

But, i get so burned out by the gym. I need to do an activity not just "go to the gym" So I decided to take up rollerblading. I can skate around our aparment complex and then skate around our neighborhood when we move to our new house. Plus, our new development has a clubhouse with basketball courts and I can go shoot some hoops. My husband is a total couch potato and hates any form of physical exercise. However, I see this all changing once he is done with his chemo for his brain tumor. I bet the docs put him on a strict regime.

I can also get out my bike and start ridig again.

I know it's a drag to go by yourself, but sometimes you just gotta.
-Mara

If you just hate to exercise!

If you just hate to exercise!

Hi Sylvia,

What helps is having your very own treadmill. It is there whenever you want it, and the weather is always right. Summers are too hot in AZ to walk outside unless you do the early morning thing, and I don't do early mornings too well. What I also do is get together with another heart buddy (AZPam lives right here in Tucson) once a week and we walk, talk, have lunch, talk some more, and do a movie when there is time. Such fun! When the weather is right we walk at the park and otherwise we meet at the mall.
What I also have done already for years is make cassette tapes of my favorite music and walk/run to the beat of that music. It has helped me so much and gets me energized. Sometimes I just don't feel like it, but once I start and turn the music on, the endorphins activate in my brain and I have a hard time stopping. Those times I can walk, and walk and walk. Nothing too fast and nothing too slow, but just very upbeat music that you get happy with. I also have a heart monitor that I use every time, and have been using that for years, not just because of my heartvalve replacement. It helps to know if you are in the "Zone" and burning fat. It takes some people up to 20 minutes to get their heart rate up, so a person needs to walk at least 30-45 minutes to reap the benefits of the exercise and to burn any amount of fat.
Hope this helps you a bit.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's Mechanical

Hi Sylvia,

My advice to you is to try walking instead of driving (or maybe that should be being driven) or to use stairs rather than the elevator. In other words, take every opportunity to walk as part of your daily routine rather than worrying about 'going out for a walk'. Or maybe think about a bike? I don't know what the weather is like right now in California, but it's bound to be better as a rule than the weather here in England, so perhaps you could consider cycling as a means of transport. Any form of exercise is good - recommendation here is a brisk walk for 20 minutes three times a week to maintain cardio-vascular health - it's not really that much.

Good luck with your rehab,

Simon

Hi Sylvia

Walking is the best exercise to get you back on your feet and give you energy and increase your fitness level. I used to do lots of hillwalking before my op. I'm not quite able to do that yet but I am now 3 months post op and have been out walking almost every day since. I just go walking by myself as my friends are all at work. You feel at bit strange walking on your own but you get used to it. Just think of the benefits. I found that by increasing the amount every week or so I was able to do more and more and gradually take in some hills as well. My heart rate was around 100 after my op. Almost double what it was at rest before my op. The surgeon said this would come down with plenty of exercise. My heart rate is now around 75 to 80 at rest. I have now bought a bike and am taking up cycling. As for work I am going back to work on Monday after 3 months off. I could probably have gone back sooner as I felt able but the Dr recommended 3 months. Give the walking a try Sylvia you will feel so much better for it.

Waddle on!

Waddle on!

Sylvia,

You don't have to become a marathon runner to reap the benefits of exercise. Any form of "movement" routinely done is acceptable these days as exercise.
They say you can get exercise by gardening. Try whacking some weeds or doing a vigorous shrub/flower planting marathon. Many shopping malls cater to walkers and walking groups. Like Simon said, using the stairs instead of the elevator, or walking or bicycling to the corner store vs. driving is good. Over time, you WILL notice a difference. Your stamina will increase, you will sleep better, etc. Make a conscious effort and you won't regret it.

Who knows? Perhaps some day the valvereplacement.com reunions will incorporate a 5K walk/run?!

Good luck.

Last edited:
If I didn't have a good book to read on the treadmill, I would not exercise much at all.

We purchased the treadmill for my wife, long before my surgery was dreamed of. She watches TV or videos while she walks. We recently got her headphones which makes it much easier on her and the rest of the household.

I read while I walk, which means I keep the speed down a little. Currently, the book I'm reading is too heavy to hold comfortably and too technical to keep my interest, so my walking time is decreasing. I'll have to read something more interesting.

If a treadmill is not an option, continue with cardiac rehab. Phase II of rehab is a must; if you're not into that already, I urge you to insist that your cardiologist arrange it. You can continue with Phase III of rehab indefinitely. Perhaps your insurance will cover it; if not, here they offered it at $6.60 a session, or roughly $100 for six weeks, which is worth it.

Think you will remember from the hospital staff "WALK, WALK, WALK That's what they kept telling me. I did from day one, but not far. I would go to local BIG stores and walk around - stroll, if you like and the dr told me it was ok for ME as I am old. As you're young, go, but don't stroll - step it up. That way, you get the exercise, are not alone, are doing something interesting while you walk and have company as well. I also had a treadmill, but finished that up by hurting my hip, but it was a wonderful exercise and you can adjust to whatever your body can take. Don't overdo or you will lose interest. Wish I could still do it. But do WALK even if you do nothing else. God bless:D

Hi, Peachy's other half here. You are asking can anyone help. The simple answer to this is YES. You can help yourself. Everybody on this forum has tried as politely as possible and given you all the information you need to make the best possible recovery. If you ignore this advice then the consequences are yours and yours alone. Personally I have been able to walk since age 1 and I am assuming from your point of view that you are able to do this simple function. If the choice is walk or die it isn't too hard to work out. Don't go looking for other people to give you an easy way out, simply get off your f.l.a. and get on with it. You have a fantastic opportunity to get on with your life that would have for sure ended in death otherwise. You know what to do, there are no excuses.

This reply might seem a bit sharper than the other very polite replies and hints from other people but you don't seem to be taking the hint. The rest of your life is up to you. Please do everything required to make it a good one.

For those who think that this reply is a bit pointed then I am sorry but I think it had to be said, please don't flame Peachy it has got nothing to do with her. Furthermore all the best to you anyway.

LtCdData

P.S. I fully understand that everyone's situation is different but in this particular case she has admitted in another post that she is a couch potato and that she does feel better after having been out walking.

Last edited:
It might be that Syl has some lingering medical problems left over from her condition. That may be the reason that she's exhausted.

Heart valve conditions can leave your body depleted in many ways and have other medical side conditions in addition to the main valve problem.

The surgery is bad enough, and the recovery is grueling. If there are some things that need to be corrected medically, it could leave her feeling very exhausted because just recovering alone takes every ounce of energy the body can muster.

My husband has been through 5 major thoracic surgeries, and I've witnessed this recovery many times over. It's just not cut and dried. Sometimes there are little complications and adjustements to meds that have to be done. Not everyone recovers at the same rate, and not everyone can recover smoothly.

Good luck, Syl. Check it out with your cardiolgist, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it. Maybe it's anemia.

Hello!

I'd like to add a few cents here as well.

My husband went to cardiac rehab. They kept having to cut back on the program, as his heart rate went to fast. Just whipped him for the day after.

Then, he tried walking outside on his own. Went about 4 times, and twice he had to sit down. He maxed out at around 4 city blocks. I went with him a couple of times. Both times, he had a difficult time when we got to this area that was really a modest modest incline. This was about three weeks ago. He is now 6 months post op. He needs a pacemaker and AV node ablation, we were told, about 2 weeks ago. And he now has a severely leaking tricuspid valve. EF of 40% and CHF. Also has an arrythmia that we don't know the name of yet. Oh. He also is in chronic a-fib. He is 55 years old, double valves in October 01.

So, Nancy is right. (as usual). Not everyone recovers at the same rate. And not everyone fully recovers. You do have to get out, try it, and just do the best you can. Keep it on a regular schedule. Not overtaxed. But, do it.

Best of luck.

Marybeth

hi syl!
they're all right.... my suggestion to you is start small scale. i am an exercise freak,but have also taught aerobics to the elderly (not implying anything here...)and i know it can sometimes be hard to get motivated and moving.
i tell my daughters the story about how i got interested/started in exercise.... when i was a kid i danced. we then moved to this country and i stopped dancing but wanted to do something physical. i started by running (you would walk it) once around my parents' house. the next day i ran (you walk) around the house twice, the next day 3 times, and so on.
by the time i was up to running around the house about 150 times, i took to the streets. (walkman/discman and headphones are great_ get a cassette/cd of music that you love and that inspires you).
i'm now almost 46 and am still an avid runner/aerobiciser. i can't live without it and often plan my days around my workouts. when i'mnot running on a trail with our dog or taking a class at a gym, i run on our treadmill while watching all the shows/ movies i've taped...before i know it,i've run 5 miles!!!!
other than this, maybe check into a local dance studio_ if you like to dance_ and take a "soft" dance class (no hip hop!!lol). or a stretch or yoga class (i know many churches offer them around here).
bottom line... try doing something you like, it will make it more fun. (maybe call a local sports/ running store and ask if they have a walking group_ they often do).
good luck and please let us know how you make out.
be well,
sylvia

Last edited:
You know, I forgot to add this, sometimes (most patients don't like to admit this, I bet), you might just be a little afraid to walk out on your own. If you're not feeling right and you go out alone, what would happen if you were to faint, have a heart rhythm problem, go too far and not be able to come back. That has happened to Joe. Or what if there just wasn't a place to walk that you felt safe.

Early in the recovery, when you can't drive, how would you get to a mall to mall walk, if the weather were inclement

Getting a treadmill is a good thing. We did and also got a home gym. Joe needed that. He can't walk in the cold weather, nor can he walk in the hot weather, and he's a slender man who's been very athletic all of his life.

It's so hard for healthy people to understand the ramifications of this type of surgery, there are many problems the patient holds inside themselves and would never share with another.

What I have just said might not apply to Syl, but I mention them in general and in passing.

Let's all be understanding and kind as our friends and family make this arduous journey. Everyone wants to be able to be healthy and do things, afterall, why would you put yourself through this difficult surgery.

Help is good, criticism is not.

Exercise-the final post.

Exercise-the final post.

Hi Nancy, I have just read all the posts. Got to say some aren't to polite, but guess they have a right to say what they want.
Just got home from Cardio. Dr. I checked out great, I can drive now. My sternum is good too, nothing to worry about. Chest x-ray good too. The only thing he is still concerned about is the beta-blocker which we can't seem to regulate. It makes me so tired all the time. So he changed the dosage to a lighter dose. He said it should do the trick. I will continue the Rehab. 3 x a week. Gave me the OK to go back to work April 29th. Good news huh.? Thanks for all you input, it was a lot of help. To everyone else (Zazzy, Hensylee,Rob,Perry,Christina)and all the other nice people, thank you. Syl:cool: :cool: :cool:

Dear LtCdData: You might as well have posted in caps. I, for one, was shocked and insulted by your post and I, too, am saying it like it is. The purpose of this forum is information and support and I don't think your post was supportive nor informational to Sylvia or the rest of us. You pointed your arrow and it hit the mark - We are not cry babies; we are adults and need the support - gently - or we wouldn't be here.

What we have been through is traumatic and life threatening and when we are done with the surgery, we are finding it difficult to find our way back to good well-being. Therefore, we come here to either get it or provide as much as we can.

While we welcome all comers, I urge you to be more thoughtful and less thoughtless to feelings of those who have been through such a trauma. We are only trying to 'get there' without cajoling and harrassment - I feel your advice is both.

In Syl's subsequent post, it shows the results of what you said. And I hope it didn't cause her to leave us forever.

I promise that Sylvia will get it right, in her own way and in her own time - we all did and will.

Can't believe nobody else took offense to your post.

I avoid confrontations - it isn't good for my heart, but feel this one should not go unchallenged. In my opinion your post should be expunged; on the other hand, it should be left right where it is as an example to everybody of how not to advise and support.

If you ever find yourself in a position to need support from us, you will, of course, be honored by the great sympathy that is here. Our hearts are big, repaired and available to all.

Anybody else? Your turn.

God bless

Hi Hensylee

First point is, this will be my last reply on this topic.

First of all my comments are based purely on the title of this thread which very much speaks for itself and not on the personal experiences of other people as everybody has had their own experience. Since the person in question has admitted herself that she just can't be gassed doing it and nothing to do with her ability as she has always been in her own words "a couch potato" and even has a treadmill in her house that she doesn't use. I would like to think that if I was in any situation myself in the future which required me to do what was necessary to aid my recovery, somebody would give me a very big kick up my a$$ if all I could do was sit around on the couch especially when they have admitted themselves that exercise helps them greatly. The gentle gentle approach has its time and place but sometimes it takes a bit more. I know you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink but don't then complain of thirst later on. Since this is an American site I believe I have the right of free speech and my view is as valid as anybody elses. The world would be a dull place if everybody said and did the same things all the time. Anyway a little bit of flaming is a good thing as it always gets things moving. Why do you think tv producers use this trick all the time. Anyway all the best to you all and no doubt you will hear from me again whenever I feel the need :)

LtCdData

I'm with you Hensylee, see my above posts. I was a little more subtle, but you hit it right on the mark! Well said.

Hang in there Sylvia

Hang in there Sylvia

Sylvia,

First of all...stop beating yourself up about not walking. You've just had major surgery and the Drs. are still getting your medications corrected.

Like you, I never exercised. I was definitely a couch potato. Until 3 years ago, I thought that it was because I was just lazy. Now I know that it was because exercise was always very uncomfortable for me. I got so out of breath from the aortic stenosis that it just wasn't worth it.

You've taken a good step in that you are going to cardiac rehab. The people there will help you very much. You will find that they give great advice, and they can give you alternatives to walking.

Once you have clearance from the rehab folks to do other things, you may want to try and find the right motivation for exercise. In my experience, I found that it was very easy to talk myself out of exercising. When I was going to rehab and had to be accountable to someone, it was much more difficult to "not exercise". Once I finished rehab, I found an exercise class with women my own age. I have made friends there, so when I miss class others will ask where I was, and I'm not comfortable saying "I didn't feel like coming." So I go! For me the right motivator is being accountable in some way for my exercise.

You just have to find the right motivator for yourself when the time comes. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

A Post of Thanks

A Post of Thanks

We need to feel more to understand others,
We need to love more to be loved back.
We need to cry more to cleanse ourselves
We need to laugh more to enjoy ourselves

We need to establish the values of honesty and fairness
when enteracting with people
we need to establish a strong ethical basis as q way of life

We need to see more other than our own little fantasies
We need to hear more and listen to the needs of others

We need to give more and take less

We need to share more and own less
We need to look more and realize that we are not so different

from one another.We need to create a world where we can all peacefully live the life we choose. Susan Schutz (Syl)

Since surgery, I find myself unconsciously shying away from bumping into anyone -- lest that incision, which was so painful at times, get bumped. (In college I worked on the loading dock for Roadway, hardly a couch potato job.) That carries over into verbal confrontations, since stress seems by far to be the most important factor in arrythmia and its avoidance.

I felt LtCdData was harsh (both times). He might want to let everyone know where to line up if he ever gets in our position of undergoing heart surgery.

It is difficult to be dogmatic about the concerns of people we have never met, whose problems we only know of through these messages. It "seems" to work well to use words that "appear" to leave things a little vague and uncertain. I felt a little uncomfortable with the discussions about the unsupportive husband, since we only heard one side. We do not need to be judgmental and to pronounce the final verdict on any situation, but only to offer support and comfort and a sounding board.

The people at cardiac rehab are so friendly! I've stopped by to say hi twice since I finished Phase II, both times with other excuses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back