I understand...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

I apologize for not posting much sooner than this...I now understand why many people who are on the other side choose not to come back to post, but this site helped me so much that I feel obligated. I'm on the mend and it wasn't really a pleasant experience, so I'd really like to just forget about it...

Day 1 - woke up with breathing tube still in. I was writing that I was going to be sick, and they were saying, "that's normal, many people have that reaction to the anesthetic" I tried to write that it was because of gagging on the tube, not nausea, but I don't think they understood. Needless to say I wanted it out, and they took it out relatively soon.

The rest of that afternoon was a blur, I vomited several times due to meds, but surprisingly it didn't hurt too much...not any more than a cough.

Next couple days were all about adjusting meds and forcing me to walk and do PT.

I stayed in ICU a little longer than expected because they didn't have a room on the regular floor for me. When they did get a room, it was a private room, so that is a BONUS!

They took my chest tubes out right before they moved me to the regular floor, and all I'm going to say about that is, I agree, it's the worst part. Actually, pulling the stitches closed afterwards was the WORST. Thankfully, I only had two tubes and two fabulous nurses pulled them out at the same time. I do have to say that as awful as it feels to have done, it was the best thing by far for easing my back pain!

I had a massage one night...Highly recommend taking advantage of that service if it's available.

My nurse on the last day in ICU was fabulous (others were OK...not bad but nothing over and above). The fabulous one washed my hair and braided it for me, so that I looked a little more human when I got to see my daughter that night. They snuck her in to the ICU!

When they told me I was moving to the floor I had a minor panic attack because I didn't think they'd be monitoring me as closely, but it turns out that they have been very attentive. When you are a general status in ICU, you lose that attention quickly.

I was off all meds but Tylenol, but will end up on a very low dose beta blocker and Warfarin for a short time as well. Initially they tried to give me a pain med that ended up dropping my platelet counts, so they didn't give me the warfarin right away.

Pacing wires came out today (not fun, but not as bad as the tubes). Doctor came in and wanted to send me home today, but I wanted to be at least started on all of my meds first because of how I react to them. I should go home tomorrow. 5 days...not a record, but not bad.

So that's my story so far...not fun, but feeling better every day!

Glad to hear you're doing well

Glad to hear you're doing well

I apologize for not posting much sooner than this...I now understand why many people who are on the other side choose not to come back to post, but this site helped me so much that I feel obligated. I'm on the mend and it wasn't really a pleasant experience, so I'd really like to just forget about it...

Day 1 - woke up with breathing tube still in. I was writing that I was going to be sick, and they were saying, "that's normal, many people have that reaction to the anesthetic" I tried to write that it was because of gagging on the tube, not nausea, but I don't think they understood. Needless to say I wanted it out, and they took it out relatively soon.

The rest of that afternoon was a blur, I vomited several times due to meds, but surprisingly it didn't hurt too much...not any more than a cough.

Next couple days were all about adjusting meds and forcing me to walk and do PT.

I stayed in ICU a little longer than expected because they didn't have a room on the regular floor for me. When they did get a room, it was a private room, so that is a BONUS!

They took my chest tubes out right before they moved me to the regular floor, and all I'm going to say about that is, I agree, it's the worst part. Actually, pulling the stitches closed afterwards was the WORST. Thankfully, I only had two tubes and two fabulous nurses pulled them out at the same time. I do have to say that as awful as it feels to have done, it was the best thing by far for easing my back pain!

I had a massage one night...Highly recommend taking advantage of that service if it's available.

My nurse on the last day in ICU was fabulous (others were OK...not bad but nothing over and above). The fabulous one washed my hair and braided it for me, so that I looked a little more human when I got to see my daughter that night. They snuck her in to the ICU!

When they told me I was moving to the floor I had a minor panic attack because I didn't think they'd be monitoring me as closely, but it turns out that they have been very attentive. When you are a general status in ICU, you lose that attention quickly.

I was off all meds but Tylenol, but will end up on a very low dose beta blocker and Warfarin for a short time as well. Initially they tried to give me a pain med that ended up dropping my platelet counts, so they didn't give me the warfarin right away.

Pacing wires came out today (not fun, but not as bad as the tubes). Doctor came in and wanted to send me home today, but I wanted to be at least started on all of my meds first because of how I react to them. I should go home tomorrow. 5 days...not a record, but not bad.

So that's my story so far...not fun, but feeling better every day!

I've been following your progress closely and I'm happy to see that you are doing well. I'm heading to Cleveland from Denver for my surgery on April 4th. I pray that your recovery continues to go smoothly. Glad to hear that you got to see your daughter in the ICU. I hope to do that same with my 3 year old son once I'm on the other side too. Thanks for the update!

Tom

Congrats

Congrats

Hey CONGRATS! I can finally say to someone......I know EXACTLY how you feel!

Make sure you tell those nurses to be CARFUL TAKING YOUR CATHIDER OUT! They forgot to deflate the balloon on my Foley and really did a number on my.......well........internal plumbing if you know what I mean!

Luckily I have a good urologist who does……well…….plumbing repairs!

Mom2izzy,
Glad to see your posts. Rest, eat, and walk. And keep us informed.
Best
John

Very helpful post mom2izzy. I can totally see why no one would want to relive these first couple of days in ICU. Here is to your quick recovery.

Congratulations. You will put all of this behind you soon. I realized while reading your post that I don't even remember my drain tubes coming out any more, though I know that I used to remember, and have told others about it in the past. As John says, your responsibilities to yourself are simple now for a little while. Enjoy the relative calm enforced on your life for the next bit. Best of luck and a speedy, and more importantly deep, recovery.

Paul

Glad to hear things are moving along, and sorry to hear about some of the issues you've had. My experiences with the breathing and chest tubes wasn't too bad at all, but I think it's because I was so doped up. For me getting out of ICU was a blessing, I hated it and thought it was terrible care, felt the floor was much more caring and concerned. But I bet you're glad to have all this behind you, still have a road ahead of you, but at least a big chunk and the not so much fun part is behind you. Hope nothing but a continued healthy recovery!

Yes, your post brings back memories! The lovely part is that now, after nearly 3 years, it is all just a vague memory and certainly worth it considering my present healthy, active, full life!

Hang in there the worst is behind you and you will feel better day by day and step by step. Be good to yourself, you have earned it.

I should go home tomorrow. 5 days...not a record, but not bad. So that's my story so far...not fun, but feeling better every day!

I'm glad you decided to come back. OHS is no walk in the park, for many of us your experience mirrors ours in some ways, some have an easier time, some have a tougher time. Without you sharing your experience, how can others who are facing OHS prepare themselves? No two OHS experiences are alike.

Please don't stay away, share your experiences if you are open to that, most folks are not. That's what this site is about.

Take it one day at a time, each day you wil get stronger and healthier. It takes a full year, sometimes a little more to feel 100% again. Rest easy.

Glad to hear you are well on your way to recovery. Your unpleasant memories of your hospital stay will fade in time, especially when you have healed enough to get big old hugs from your little girl. Keep getting better and keep us informed. There are times you'll need to vent during the next few months, and that's what we are here for.

Latest posts

Back