I should write a book on how to have heart surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabyan64

Hi all,

Y'all may have seen me post a few things mid-march, when my cousin recommended this site after I was told that I needed my St. Jude AR replaced and a 5.3cm ascending and 5.7cm aortic arch aneurysm repaired. Well, I was lucky is more ways than one. On March 23 I met Dr. Lawrie in Houston (just called him up as my recommended Chicago surgeon was not covered by the insurance) where he decided I enter Methodist Hospital the next day for a heart cath and surgery the following day. In preparation for everything I had a few chest x-rays, another echo, ekg and lab work done. Nobody checked my INR that day, so when I was about to begin the cath (to the point of needle insertion) the cardiologist came in and asked about the INR, and followed up with 2.0 - No go. That evening Dr. Lawrie came to my room with his assistants and apologized for the delay with the heart cath, and suggested I go to some considered the world's best aortic aneurysm surgeon, Dr. Joseph Coselli at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital (across the street from Methodist). Dr. Coselli's speciality is aortic aneurysm (thoracic and abdominal). He takes in patients from all over the world, and has an incredible team of people. The Texas Medical Center is an incredible campus!

Getting to the point, I checked in at 5:30 am on March 31, and woke up in ICU on April 1 at 7:30 am. I'd always thought I was allergic to opiates since I vomited so badly in 1991 during my last surgery with the respirator installed, but it seems this is not an allergic reaction at all. I'm pleased to know that, but vomited 4-5 times in ICU from the Fentanyl. Due to a lack of available rooms I did not get to my room until 3:30 am on Thursday. Thursday morning the first chest tube was removed (this time it was absolutely awful as no pain meds were administered - but did not have the same issue in the past). I requested Fentanyl for the second tube and the pace maker electrodes left in-place.

They released me Sunday morning - much to their own shock and surprise. I can tell you a number of factors played into such a successful surgery.

Previous experience:
- Aortic valvotomy is 1978 (at 12 years) for a severe aortic stenosis
- AVR (St. Jude Medical Nr. 25cm) in 1991 - I spent 7 days in the hospital and I was more impressed with their therapy then than I am now. For instance, the first day out of ICU a woman came to my room, got me to sit on a chair facing the back (pillow between my chest) and gave me a massage before beginning stretching exercises 15-30 minutes every day, plus the breathing exercises.
- AVRepair / Aortic Aneurysm 5.3cm and 5.7cm repair, using a 24cm dacron graft and repaired 10mm of Innomiate vein affected by the aneurysm.

Positive attitude:

- I was shaken up the day I found out I need to have surgery on March 4th.
- Support from friends and relatives, and from a few people here - I was only lurking here for a few days after finding out and had to leave for Houston.
- The feeling that there is no reason the outcome should not be anything but good
- Keeping in mind that if my time were up, what a great way to go - no pain whatsoever.
- I trust in God.

Lifestyle:

- I spent the last 4 months working out, mostly just strengthening my core muscle group.
- Shame on me - I've smoked for a long time, but quit a week before the surgery - all lung function tests, CT scans show clear results and my pulse-ox is 98% - I have zero desire to resume smoking and I will not touch another cigarette.
- Occasional drinker, a beer here, a glass of wine or a vodka/tonic, but only rarely
- Diet okay, not special, but since November I had cut down in sodium, cholesterol, caffeine, etc.

Environment:

- Good hospital (It seems all TMC hospitals are excellent)
- Good surgeon and assistants (Dr. Coselli with Drs. Huh and Choo :)p)
- Good nursing care in ICU and room
- Great food

What else can I say? The process each of us deals with when it comes to learning that we or a loved one must undergo heart surgery is pretty awful, but it is up to each individual to make up his mind how he wants to proceed and develop a mental checklist of what they need (who can help?), what they can do to prepare, check out the physician and hospital, check out the insurance, check out what support will be available after the surgery, etc.

Keep a positive attitude. I remember what a pediatrician told me when my identical twin girls were in NICU at 31 weeks when I saw a priest standing in the room near one of my girls (he was standing near a little boy, but I could not see him). He told me, "Mr. Read, some children are sick, and some are not." Keep that in mind, I think it says a lot.

Now, if I can help anyone in anyway to prepare for an upcoming surgery please let me know. I've begun reading about many of the issues I will face here shortly, driving, sex, work, exercise, etc. We are all different, and I'm familiar with a lot of the information, but my last surgery was in 1991. This time my mom who came to Houston to give me support had to be put into the hospital for a cellulitis, which turned into a staff infection - she had surgery last week. Both of us are now stuck in Houston. LOL My wife filed divorce on me the day of my surgery. Wonderful. However, my children call every day to check up on me, or I call them each day.

I do have one question, and wonder if any has experienced this? Besides having my sternum reopened, the also open a 3-inch horizontal section in my right pectoralis, about an inch or so below my right collar bone. This seems to be only place I now have any pain. It's a bit numb, like I've shot a 10-guage shotgun 50 times without holding it tight enough against my shoulder. It seems this was a connection point for the heart-lung machine. Has anyone had this? How long does it take to heal? Are there any exercises to speed the process along? Any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Roderick

Anything you want to know about sex, just ask. ;)

Sounds like you have some nerve damage and if so, it's not going to resolve for a very long time.

Unlike Ross, I know nothing about sex, so can't help you there.

I don't really have any specific advice other than to just keep walking, breathing, eating right, and keeping a positive attitude.

And by the way, my electrophysiologist is Dr. Yeh. Yay! :D

Best,
Debi (debster913)

Ross,

That's a good point. It could me some nerve damage there in my chest. I forgot I had some after my last surgery, on my head - took about 6 months for it to disappear.

Debi,

I like that, Dr. Yeh!

Cheers and thanks to you both,

Roderick

Hi Rod,

I have that same scar above my collar bone. The way they explained it to me was that this is a way that they route your blood when they are working on your coronary arteries. This keeps blood flowing to your brain rather than cutting it off completely. This means that they don't have to lower your body temperature so low. It also prevents a lot of the issues with short term memory loss, etc. I think it is fairly new. My home health care nurse said that I was the first one she saw.

Welcome Roderick! You've certainly had a journey. Why did your valve need to be replaced this time? Did they replace it because they had to do the aneurysm repairs or was the valve itself also bad due to encroaching scar tissue, Myxomatous tissue or something else? Do you know if you originally had a bicuspid valve?

I find it interesting that you had to go to Texas, even though you live in the Chicago area.

Cheryl,

That cut probably has more to do with the blood flow to the brain, my cut is 1/2-inch to 1-inch below the collar bone - it's just very very uncomfortable.

Rod

Karlynn,

I got lucky, they did not have to replace the valve, they repaired a paravalvular leak, and the echo done this past Saturday showed no leak at all. Yes, I originally had a bicuspid aortic valve, and that was originally repaired in 1978.

Regards,
Roderick

Hi Rod, I'm glad everything went so well. Justin (who will be TWENTY ONE on Easter YEAH) Has that 3-4 inch incision you are talking about, but his is in his groin area and I agree probably a little nerve damage. Origonally that incision was more painful for Justin than his sternum, (but sitting and walking tended to annoy it) and quite a bit of his thigh was numb but it HAS been getting smaller and almost 2 years later he said he still notices more feeling coming back. During his pre op testing, beside the regular echo, since he had so many surgeries before they knew they might need to put him on the bypass machine thru his groin or neck area before they completely opened his sternum, so they also did echos of each side of his neck collar area as well as both sides of his groin to check and make sure the areas were wide open and not scarred to they would be ok to use.. When they explained it all to us, Justin did ask the surgeon IF possible he rather have the extra scars in his groin area.

I'm glad everything is going so well, your attitude sounds alot like Justin's, I hope he is able to stay as possitive as he gets older, I really think it helps.

I am sorry your wife did that to you, I can't imagine being that cold hearted, no pun intended. Your children that checked on you, are they the sick little twins grown up?
I'm sorry your Mom ran into problems too, I can imagine the stories you 2 will have as you recover together.
Thanks for updating. It always makes me feel good to hear from adults older than Justin, that had surgery as children. I'll keep you and your Mom in my prayers for smooh bumpfree recoveries.

Karlynn,

I forgot to mention why I went to Texas. My insurance would not cover the suggested surgeon, just the hospital, but neither looked all that appealing. Other doctors I checked out such as McCarthy, etc., were either too busy, or did not bother returning my call. So, I called Houston, and told them we have a problem. LOL

The home life is not good, and can't depend on any care there, so I figured why not spend the time with my mom while I still can.

Regards,
Roderick

Lyn,

I can tell you my initial response to the news of having surgery once more was devastating. It took a few days of soul-searching and research and common sense to realize I'm healthy, there really is no reason why anything should happen and that I will come through the procedure with flying colors. I've gotten my third lease on life and I'm looking forward to doing the very best I can to make it last.

Give Justin my regards. I won't wish him an early Happy B-day, as that is considered bad luck in Switzerland.

Best regards,
Rod

Yes, the other thoughts about 'what-if?' did remain, but it is the job of my surgeon to do his best because that is his job.

WOW! Filing for divorce the day of your surgery. Whew! Meaner than a junk yard dog!. At first I got angry and wanted to bad mouth her but after my OHS I've become less prone to wish others ill or get angry period. I'm just sorry for you and her. She obviously is suffering from something or she would not have done that. This sounds weird, but try to help her when the time is right. She's cruising for a bruising for sure!. No one can do such an evil thing and get away w/ it. I believe in Karma.

Yes, it is pretty awful, but does me know good to get angry about it - I also believe very strongly in karma. What comes around goes around. Oh well, life goes on, right?

I wish everyone a very Happy Easter!!

Roderick

Rod, Congrats! Wonderful post! Hope the nerves heal up and get back to working. You might try taking Phosphatidyl Choline. It helps reconnect things in the brain, and I assume would help with any nerve damage. If you don't write the book, we should get Ross and Hank to compile one from posts, then Lance can publish it! All the best, Brian

Yes, it is pretty awful, but does me know good to get angry about it - I also believe very strongly in karma. What comes around goes around. Oh well, life goes on, right?

I wish everyone a very Happy Easter!!

Roderick

I'm a big believer in Karma too, sometimes it doesn't roll around as soon as "I" would like, but it does.
I hope you and your Mom are doing better.

Back