I set my running baseline

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since there seem to be quite a few newbies here, maybe you'd like to hear from an old timer. I'm 17 years out from VR now.

Here's an article I wrote for the local road runners club two years ago to celebrate my 15 yr anniversary. In another 15 years, you'll all look back at this angst you have now and laugh. I guarantee it.

------------------------

This July is a significant benchmark for me because it marks 15 years since I received an artificial heart valve. It was a fairly rare thing back then to find someone still running after open heart surgery, but quite common now. Perhaps the medical profession learned something from those of use who were tenacious enough to continue. What is most important to me though is that it means I have now spent more of my running life and soon to be more than half of my almost 30,000 lifetime running miles with it than without.

I mark the beginning of my running career on a dark, damp and dreary 5:30 AM in March of 1978. I can remember it very well. I remember where and when and how it went. Not very well, unfortunately. I couldn't make a quarter mile that first day before I had to slow to a walk. It was the days, weeks, months, years and decades that followed it that made that one unspectacular run stand out in memory. That was because I never stopped again.

Oh, it's not that I have a long streak of consecutive days running. There are several folks in the HMRRC that are into that and would put me to shame even if I did. No, I don't care for streaks and yes, I've paused running many times for weeks at a time for various reasons of illness or injury. One rather obvious break being the weeks following that open heart surgery. What I mean by not stopping is that I continued to "be" a runner from that day onward whether I was able to run every day or only once in a month. The mindset was, I am a runner and even if I can't get out on the roads today I will be there the next chance I get.

I first tried to get started in 1963 going out for the high school cross country team. I ran practices with them for about one week after which the team physicals were done. Boy, you sure couldn't do that today, now you need the physical first, OK to run second, but that's the way it was done 40+ years ago. The doctor told me I had a heart murmur that precluded competitive sports. Bummer. On the plus side, it precluded service in the Army which made me miss out an many special events that happened a few years later in Viet Nam.

I can also recall running in 1972. I had recently graduated from HVCC in Troy and had a few weeks off before starting a new job at GE, so I would meet a couple pals from school at Prospect Park for a little tennis. Before a set I would run around the perimeter road of the park. That was about a mile I think. But I wasn't really a runner then. I was just warming up for something else.

Then there was one of those "where were you when" days, August 9, 1974, the day President Richard Nixon resigned. Well, where I was, was out running. My wife and I were in Cape Cod with another couple. My friend Mike Burke was into marathoning at that time, so he was doing 8 or more miles every day. I would tag along but couldn't handle more than about 3, so I'd do the first 1.5 with him and turn back. When I came in the door that's when I heard the news that Nixon would go on TV that night and resign. Moments like that really stick in your mind. But I wasn't a runner then either. I didn't keep it up more than a few months a year. Fair weather jogger would be more like it.

There were several years between 72 and 78 when I was an on-again, off-again runner, each time having to start over from scratch. But for some reason after March of 1978 I never considered stopping again. Not until, that is, the day I was told "Stop running now. It could kill you". That was when the old heart murmur that first evidenced itself in high school finally reached it's worst potential. Not that it was a surprise, my doctors had been monitoring it for a long time and I had even suffered a minor stroke because of it in 1987. That's a long story about which I wrote extensively and mournfully in the Pace Setter back in the day. Suffice it to say it was so minor I was doing laps at the Union College field house the following week and running PR times within months and for a couple years thereafter.

Then in 1990 it almost all came crashing in. The heart murmur (valve leakage) was getting progressively worse as had been predicted but not in any truly noticeable way. I had been running well for a long time and had felt no symptoms of degradation. Preparation for the fall Stockade-athon 15K went normally and according to recent training and racing times, should have gone quite well. I cruised through 4 miles in a bit over 28 minutes and 5 miles in 35-something and was feeling great. Of course, that's with all the downhills behind you. After 5 miles there are some serious uphills to negotiate. But still, having run the Stockade about 10 times by then, I knew what to expect. Under 7:10 per mile at the halfway point should bring me home in about 67 minutes.

Mile 6 was a bust. Yes, I know, it always is. The State St hill will bring anyone to their limit. But this was even worse. That one mile took me almost 9 minutes. I couldn't believe, after having done so well up until then, why I would suddenly slow down that much. Miles 7 through 9 weren't much better. I did finish with a decent time, 71:30, but that was several minutes off of what I expected and was trained for. And, boy was I beat!

At first I was puzzled. You know, even with 30 years of forewarning, there's still a large element of denial when you have to face the truth. What made me know it was truly serious was that three or four weeks after the race, I was still not fully recovered. Recovery from a 15K race always did take more than a week. I would expect to be more tired than usual on longer runs for up to 9 or 10 days out, but not 20 or 30 days later. By then I had an appointment with my cardiologist and it didn't take too many tests for him to arrive at the conclusion that running was now contra-indicated as they say.

So, stop was the order of the day. But I never stopped "being" a runner. I walked every day, vigorously too. Walked with a vengeance and with a solid determination that as soon as I was able, I'd be back running. I kept going to HMRRC events doing 3 winter series races at a fast walk. I walked one 5K in 34:30 which ain't shabby. I can hardly beat that running these days.

It was on July 26, 1991 that I had the aortic valve replaced by an artificial ticker. Oh yeah, don't tell anyone but I snuck in one "last" mile the day before my surgery, just in case it was to be my last and I wrote it dutifully in my log book as such.

Obviously all went well. It did take several weeks before I could try to run again. The first time out I think I got 80 yards before gasping for breath and having to walk. A week later, a quarter mile. Three weeks later a whole mile. Six months later 10 miles on a nice sunny Saturday morning felt good. But the whole sequence from full-stop to "I ran a mile today" was less than a year, mere months. Out of 15 years it's hardly noticeable and it's certainly not a reason to say I stopped being a runner. I just paused my training for a bit is all. A year later you'd never have known I even skipped a beat and now 15 years and 15,000 more miles later, who cares.

It's been a good trip all in all with a few bumps along the route but the enjoyment has been in the traveling because there is no destination, only an endless road stretching out over the horizon. I can't see all the way to the end, I thought I did once, but when I reached the top of that hill there was still a lot more road up ahead. I think from what I see now that maybe I've got at least another 15 to go. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Perhaps a VR.com White Rock relay some day?

Hi Tom,

It would be great if we can form a team for this Dec 14th, I'm up for it and once I give my word, it would take an injury or emergency for me to back out. Tom Price is working with Cardiac Athletes for their next event, I posted on another thread, lets see what becomes of it. :)

Oh, it's not that I have a long streak of consecutive days running. No, I don't care for streaks and yes, I've paused running many times for weeks at a time for various reasons of illness or injury. One rather obvious break being the weeks following that open heart surgery. What I mean by not stopping is that I continued to "be" a runner from that day onward whether I was able to run every day or only once in a month. The mindset was, I am a runner and even if I can't get out on the roads today I will be there the next chance I get.

But I never stopped "being" a runner. I walked every day, vigorously too. Walked with a vengeance and with a solid determination that as soon as I was able, I'd be back running.

Out of 15 years it's hardly noticeable and it's certainly not a reason to say I stopped being a runner. I just paused my training for a bit is all. A year later you'd never have known I even skipped a beat and now 15 years and 15,000 more miles later, who cares.

It's been a good trip all in all with a few bumps along the route but the enjoyment has been in the traveling because there is no destination, only an endless road stretching out over the horizon. I can't see all the way to the end, I thought I did once, but when I reached the top of that hill there was still a lot more road up ahead. I think from what I see now that maybe I've got at least another 15 to go. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Thank you for sharing Jack, you are absolutely right, we never stop being a runner, we just hit a few speed bumps along the way that cause us to take a break. Folks like you provide much encouragement to us newbies. :)

Can you say "SIX AT 6 MONTHS!?

Can you say "SIX AT 6 MONTHS!?

I am 6 months, three days post op. I visited my Mom for Mothers Day in PA and my sister has taken up running. Last week, I was able to get in two 3 mile runs, hilly terrain in PA. :) It rained most of the time I was there, gave pointers to my sister on running form, pace, stretching. She is an avid hiker/biker and so far does not like running!:p

I ran 6 miles today. 1:01:12. Heart rate averaged 168. We saw 1 whitetail deer, she was beautiful. Sometimes we'll see several, depending on what time of day we go through this neighborhood. They come down to ours and eat our hawthornes.

Remember in my first post that my husband was faster than I? I left him at 4 miles, he ran about 1/4 mile behind me to complete the 6 mile run. He will get better though as our training continues. Temp was around 60, little wind, comfortable throughout. Tomorrow, I will run 4 miles to loosen tight muscles, take off Monday, run 4 miles on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, off Friday, run 6 again on Saturday, increase to 7 miles the week after. We are going to 'google earth' to find out the distance around Lady Bird Lake so that we can track exactly the distance we are running. We hope to find a good 10 mile track so that by mid August, we'll be at 10 mile long runs every Saturday. That 1/2 Marathon bug just may bite me by November.

The best part of today is that now I know I can run a 10K without trouble. :cool:

For anyone in the waiting room, I think it is important to set a goal for yourself post op. Obstacles may pop up from time to time but don't get discouraged, you will make it!:)

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks Louise! I saw your comment in my newly started thread and so here I am in yours' getting inspired! I'm focusing on getting in about 15 miles a week at a 11 minute per mile pace. I know I can run faster but I'm purposefully keeping my HR in the 120-130 range. I don't quite feel confident enough to push beyond that range. Once I get to the 5 mile at 10 minute a mile pace (and running 20 miles a week), I'll rethink the HR range and have some discussion with my AVR surgeon (who is a 3:00 hour marathon runner). Keep posting! Your info is inspiring and helpful!

Steve C.

We underestimated....

We underestimated....

Our mileage. My husband and I thought we ran 7 miles this morning, we actually ran 7.75 miles! :p It was 80 degrees with 55% humidity at 7:00 a.m. We're going to have to get up a little bit earlier as the months go into summer, for the long runs. We'll need to stash water along our route so we won't have to carry it. ;) I think I'm acclimated to the heat ok as my afternoon runs the past 4 or 5 have been in 97 degree heat and my heart rate has been the same. I have a lot of time to October and a lot of flexibility so if it's too hot, I can skip the day of running and make up for it another day. I took off on Friday to do yard work catch up, ran 4 miles at 7:00 a.m. it was mid 70s, no humidity, gorgeous!

I used Tom's nifty mapping tool to determine our route in our neighborhood, 3.23, I add a loop in the new subdivision across from ours to get up to 4 miles on our short run days. The new subdivision just finished putting the roads in a couple months ago so they are not on the map. We had to get in the car and drive the route we ran in that subidvision today to find out how far we went, 4 1/2 miles, add on our neighborhood = 7.75.

My stats: 7.75 miles (I was getting tired that last 3/4 mile), time: 1:16:27 (9.80 min miles), heart rate: averaged 165, down 2 to 3 beats a minute. I purposely tried to hold back because I wanted to complete the distance. My breathing the entire time was comfortable. I could talk easily, I usually do not like to talk while running as it messes up my concentration. I'm finding that my heart rate is starting to drop during exercise which is what I expect.

We went to Ft Hood today to pick up a couple things. The walking did not bother me. Now tomorrow morning will tell the tale. ;) I don't have to run tomorrow so there. :p:p

Oh, I almost forgot, we have our airline reservations made, rental car reserved, ready to go to DC.

Eight Before 8:00

Eight Before 8:00

We ran 8 miles today. Time of 1:20, 10 minute miles, average heart rate 170. I have not run since Monday, too much stuff going on in life this week.

We got up at 5:00, out the door at 6:00. Temp was 75, low humidity. We found a great 1 mile looped track, crushed granite surface. We'll be doing our long runs there now. No dogs and no cars. We can drop our water bottles on the side, pick up the next lap through. I felt good throughout. Looks like we're right on target for 10 miles by August.

This is one great thread. As far as good lower body strengthening exercises; squats holding a dumbell in each hand, arms by your sides, and lunges. These will strengthen your entire leg much better then leg extensions using a machine. Extensions with a machine place a great amount of shearing stress upon the knees and have the potential to result in injury, or actually hinder recovery from injury.

More and more PT's who understand sports medicine are getting away from this type of movement.

Keep up the good work!

New Shoes!

New Shoes!

I bought a new pair of running shoes to break in for October. Women's ASICS GEL-Kayano 14, these have some added cushioning, designed for high mileage.

I had a follow-up with my cardio this week, for my own peace of mind. I wanted to be sure that I was not pushing too hard with my training and doing myself more harm than good. He said as long as I'm not pushing it, my reply "That's what I have been doing and the reason for my visit." We discussed my heart rate averages and how it will go to the 170s on hills. He asked if we are running up Bee Caves as it is a very long and steady uphill and he sees people running there. He said you have to be nuts running in this heat. He's only been in TX for two years and has not had a real TX summer heat experience. My husband went with me and we told him we were not those nuts but we are among the nuts running in 97 degree heat. "Don't you get soaked through and through?" Yes, but we feel good and we are sure to hydrate, as long as we do that, no problems. :) We discussed what types of symptoms not to ignore and if I experienced them, I needed to let him know. Symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, anything out of the ordinary that I don't experience now. He said that he is very pleased that I'm doing so well and that if I can run 8 miles, I am in good shape. We discussed my recovery goal of Army 10 Miler, I explained that by the time my feet hit that starting line, I will have already run a couple 10 miles. Big smile on his face!:) I love my cardiologist! I'll see him in a year, echos, aorta and carotid artery scans.

Today, we ran 8 miles. Started at 6:00 a.m., low 70s, 1:20:15. Average heart rate 168. The last mile, I did several sprints to see what I had left and I surprised myself. I could have run longer but I'm being conservative. Next weekend we will go for 9 miles.

You're ready for the Army 10 miler! It's nice to have a cardio that understands runners....mine does...and it helps a lot!

9 miles and counting

9 miles and counting

We did not get to run last weekend, too much packed into 1 weekend. We drove to San Antonio early in the morning (I didn't even get breakfast) for a brigade change of command ceremony in front of the Alamo, drove back and picked up barbeque for a party we were going to Saturday night, had to stock the rest of the frig so a trip to the grocery store during the day, off to the party at 7:00 p.m., had a great time, home by midnight. The plan was to get up at 5:30 and head to our 1 mile loop......well, you know how it goes after a night of food and fun, we hit the alarm and slept in 'til 8. Lately, the TX heat is already 80 at 8, we felt we're ahead of the game, so we took a break from the running. Actually, when you do this, it's beneficial as it gives your body a chance to rest and maybe it needs it .

I ran solo today, DH's hip is bothering him. He's been training for an obstacle course type event also which involves carrying a rucksack of at least 50 lbs, repelling, target shooting, and a bunch of other stuff. It's held every year, last year was his first time participating, he had a blast, and this year it's the weekend after Army 10 Miler. Two marines ran the course last year so he's hoping our training will enable him to run it this year. He's been walking 8 miles with full rucksack on Mondays. Last week someone saw him and offered him water and a ride. It was already high 80s when he was out there. :D:) Men, they do crazy things; that testosterone can really be dangerous. :p Women, they do crazy things; that estrogen can really be dangerous. :p:p

I ran 9 miles this morning at 7:00 a.m., temperature was 77, humid, light breeze. Average heart rate was 172, time of 1:31:23. Army 10 Miler: BRING IT ON! For some reason, mile 8 was more difficult than mile 9. My pace slowed a bit but I picked it right back up for number 9.

This is for Scott, ctyguy, I checked my heart rate at 10 minutes after my run, 100, at 30 minutes after my run, it was at 74. I think my heart likes the higher mileage than the low, I was never uncomfortable during my run. It's also amazing how a 20 degree reduction in temperature (running in the a.m. rather than p.m.) makes a difference in heart rate recovery. I sweat really well so now I take a change of clothes with me for the long runs so that I can drive home dry.

Well, I can take tomorrow off from running, a good thing as it is supposed to be a high of 101 or so tomorrow by the time I get home. Anytime the temp is over 97, I don't run, I'm nuts, but I do have common sense. ;) I walk the pups in the morning before I go to work and I get up at 5:00 a.m. already, I'm too lazy to get up any earlier, let alone get a run in before work, besides it's dark and we have deer, foxes, cats, and who knows what else, outside this time of day, I want to be able to see who I'm facing.

A Long 10 Miles..........

A Long 10 Miles..........

I did not run this past week except for Thursday and Saturday. This coming week will be better, only problem is we'll be in the 100s again.:eek: Last Sunday, I ran 4 1/2 miles came home and trimmed shrubs in our backyard. Had a little accident that resulted in 5 stitches in my left hand, middle finger tip. Thought I took the tip off. I have to admit I did not have my garden gloves on, I know better. I freaked at first because of coumadin, my INR on Friday was 2.5, but then I remembered what ROSS, my coumadin buddy:D has said on this site several times, "You won't bleed to death, apply pressure" I think you said this before Ross...:eek: I kept my wits about me, got a towel and applied pressure, off to the ER. They took me right away and were actually curious about my heart valve, what kind, etc. So if you live in Austin, St Davids on 290E and First Street, they have their act together, and they have a 'fast track' system in place for folks like me. The doc who stitched me up did not panic and call in the vitamin K. Heck, he said that's why they call them accidents and he did it to his toe. In and out in 2 hours, gave me vicodin for pain and believe me I needed it on Monday and Tuesday. Oh, and I can type with 9 finger tips....:rolleyes:

It was a long 10 miles today. Temp 77, light humidity, light breeze. I made it, achieved my goal of 10 miles by August, though it seemed like the run took forever. Time of 1:44:00, average heart rate of 169. My heart rate has been going up while running in the evenings with the HEAT here in TX so I concentrated on keeping my heart rate at or below 170, burned 1,077 calories. I ran 5 miles yesterday morning, this may have played a part in my energy level today. Anyway, my long runs from here on out will be 10 miles every weekend depending on how I feel, otherwise every other weekend. Now I just have to stay healthy. No more electric hedge trimmers until November! I had two hedges to go, I actually thought about finishing up when I got home from the ER......my husband was not home, he would have killed me for sure.

6 weeks to raceday,

6 weeks to raceday,

and one more 10 mile training run to go. We've switched the training regimen just a bit. Last Sunday our long run was 7 miles, today we ran 10 miles, next Sunday we'll run 8, 10 on Sept. 7th, 9 on the 14th, then taper into race day on October 5th.

The 2008 Silicon Labs Marathon Relay will be held on September 21st in Austin. My employer is sponsoring teams, I'm trying to get on one of my preferred running teams (men and women in BLUE),offered to run a 7 mile leg, gave my stats, and now I wait to see if they can place me. I have until September 12th to register with a team.

Today's 10 miles was not too bad. Mid 70s, but humid, light breeze. My average heart rate was 168, time of 1:39:20, I shaved 5 minutes off my time from 2 weeks ago, :):) in my old running shoes to boot!:D

Last 10 mile training run leading to race day

Last 10 mile training run leading to race day

Well, I ran my last 10 mile training run this morning, next 10 miles October 5th, race day. I have the marathon relay on Sept 21st, 7 mile leg. I don't think I'm tapering too soon. Beautiful morning, low 70s, light breeze, but 87% humidity. I took it easy, time of 1:40:42, average heart rate 164, the lowest I have had since I started training, and the biggest news: I stayed in my heart rate zone for 1:14:26, my zone is set at 90(50% of maximum rate) to 165(88% of maximum rate).

I did not say anything before but my neighbor across the street, retired COL, 2 tours in Vietnam, helicopter pilot, purple heart, 2 bronze stars, one with valor, passed away while my husband and I were out running the prior 10 miler. When we got home, police cars were in front of his home. Very good people, I'm going to miss him. :(

I don't know why, but I just did not want to run today....grumbled to myself all the way to the track. YES we were doing our 10 milers on a high school track, boring as all get out, 40 laps! The hard part of training is not that actual running, but just getting started. So I sucked it up, told my neighbor to myself "Come on Mike, let's do this.", and we did. My husband was tired to begin with from 24/7 ops doing all of this hurricane stuff, of course here we go again with Ike. I lapped him at mile 9. He told me afterwards how proud of me he is and he could have just cried. Now, how lucky am I??

Later in the day, I was hungry for a piece of coconut cream pie. I LOVE IT! Well, I went over to check in with Mike's wife, and I kidded with her. "Do you have any pie?" I explained that I was hungry for it and of course coconut cream. She told me that was Mike's favorite pie. :)

louise

louise

Dear Louise, so sorry to hear of the passing of your neighbor and friend.
I'm sure you'll be of encourgement to his wife.
Take care Debbie :)

Your doing awesome and on your way now! After my surgery I found every time I increased my mileage, the nerves kicked in until I put the 8 mile mark behind me. By that point I realized I was not going to drop from a heart attack. Enjoy the time with your husband and have a great race.

The picture below is the flag that is flown in my yard. Thank you for your famlies sacrifice.

Latest posts

Back