I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorsai

Had my six-week followup (I had surgery to fix an aortic root aneurysm on 10/21/09) with my surgeon today. In short, I'm good to go - sternum has closed up nicely and my heart sounds good, so my activity restrictions have been lifted and I'm back to work tomorrow morning.

I've been very lucky with this whole thing...I feel every bit as good now as I did before the surgery. So for those of you still early in the recovery process, hang in there, it does get better!

Great news!

I support your decision to start working tomorrow, but just remember that you are not Tarzan and you should still take it easy! 6 weeks (even though you had a great recovery) is still early in the process.

Lots of fluids and remember to eat 5 small meals during the day :) That is Smiley's orders!

Congrats on getting back to work... I start again next Monday after 8 weeks. Im ready and not ready, gonna miss the time at home..lol.

Smiley, thanks for the good advice - fortunately, I work in IT, so for me a strenuous day at the office is one where i have to get on two conference calls instead of one.

Danny, I've enjoyed the home time as well, but it's starting to wear a bit, particularly since I haven't been able to really do anything around the house. It'll be nice to get back into a productive routine again.

Really glad to hear your able to go back to work-just take things a little slow and baby yourself a bit. Its even better if others baby you too:)

Love your jingle!

Well, I did my first day back at work today. The highs and lows:

High: I got a raise while I was out. Woot!

Low: Some dirtbag stole my dry erase markers. WTF? :mad:

But from a medical perspective, no issues whatsoever. It was good to be back.

hey congrats on the good news from your followup. I am glad your feeling better. it sucks about your markers though. i hope you continue to have a bump free recovery.

Just so everyone knows, my markers magically reappeared while I was at lunch today. :)

In non-work-related news, I almost learned the hard way this week how much arm strength I've lost due to activity restrictions; I very nearly squashed myself unloading a Christmas tree from the car that I wouldn't have thought twice about the year before. Not that I'm Charles Atlas even on my best days, but geez. Time to get some small weights to work with.

Six Weeks?

Six Weeks?

Geez...six weeks off work! How could you stand it? I took five days off including my hospital stay. On a more serious note, it'll probably feel pretty good to get back into your normal routine. Normal is not a bad thing after what you've been through.

-Philip

Dude, five days? I hope you're either pulling my leg, or your job is as a tester of hospital beds. I've had an extremely easy recovery, all things considered, but I was not fit for work at five days.

Time to go back to work

Time to go back to work

I knew it was time to go back to work when I started humming the theme song to Law & Order while I was in the kitchen. :)

Phillpi B. You must be self employed like me. I was 8 days back part time, 19 days to full time.
I could not heal at home.
16 days after surgery I was on a practice field coaching middle school football.
Had a couple new rules;
1 - No throwing the ball to coach.
2 - No hitting coach while setting example.
New rules lasted about 2 weeks and I was in the trenches popping. Kids found out quick that Coach could still boot them in the butt if they missed a block though!
Most folks never knew I had surgery unless someone told them.
Everyone heals at their own rate.

Remember you will have good days, great days and not so good days yet to come. Dr. Terodac, says do NOT lift anything heavy and don't try and over do yourself. So glad you have had smooth sailing. You just want to keep having great days!

I'm self-employed, too - worked at e-mails and telephone calls from home the day after I was released; back full-time (= opening of my first retail store) in 3 weeks from surgery. Oh yeah, and I don't drive, so all my commuting was done by public transport - fortunately they didn't charge for my heart huggy pillow!

I knew it was time to go back to work when I started humming the theme song to Law & Order while I was in the kitchen.

LOL!!!!

For my last surgery (January 2003), I was out of work until late February that year. Then, a few days after I returned, I switched to half days ... and that lasted until the end of March.

It was nice to get back to work ... at least in terms of accomplishing things. But, I was frustrated that I wasn't able to spend SOME of my recovery time accomplishing things at HOME. I always seem to have enough energy to do things at work ... then falter at doing things at home. :(

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"You can say there's no such thing as Santa" ... Elmo'N'Patsy ... 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'

Latest posts

Back