I Made It Through!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave

Hi Dave

Congratulations Dave,

I've been out of it for a while but decided I better get back to some kind of schedule.

I came home Tuesday afternoon from the hospital. I can tell you I always heard my valves. You eventually don't hear them as much, and they never bothered me. The alternative is much worse. My original valves were stainless steel and had a really crisp click. Now I still have one stainless steel and two St. Jude's and the tick is differecnt. I noticed that right a way. I think these may be more noticeable...not sure yet.

As far as comfort sleeping I'm glad you asked because I have slept very little I am so uncomfortable. My husband is on his way to Walmart for a body pillow as Evelyn suggested and since there were a few more votes in favor I think I'll try that. Don't have a lazyboy.

Good Luck Getting comfortable!!

Becky

Congrats Nashville Friend

Congrats Nashville Friend

Dave,
I would like to say congratulations on your surgery Dave. I'm new to the site. I live in Clarksville and I am going to have my surgery in Nashville in the next few months. It might be at St. Thomas or Vanderbilt it depends on what procedure I have done. That is a tough choice that has not been made up yet. Maybe when you get going a little bit more (with some sleep) I can throw some questions at you about your surgery and where. Once again congratulations!!!!!!! Brian

Hi Dave,

Congratulations and welcome to the other side! I'm glad everything went smoothly for you.

In answer to your questions about the clicking. I'm a dual valver like some of the others on here. I heard my clicking all the time at first. I'm heavy set so being fat doesn't really have anything to do with muffling the sound. Depending on the position I try to sleep in, sometimes I hear it really loud and thumping and sometimes barely at all. Actually feel reasurred when I hear it, considering the alternative!:D

I had a hard time sleeping laying down for about three weeks. I too slept in a recliner and the worst part was trying to pull the lever to get back up. I took it slow and easy though and would eventually get the recliner pulled back up. Later on I realized that was probably good to do, as long as I wasn't straining myself, because I was stretching my body and muscles. When I finally was able to sleep in a bed, I had a body pillow and slept partially on my back/right side.

I weaned myself off the pains meds as soon as I could. But don't hesitate to take them if you still need them. Also Walk, Walk and Walk! Start out slowly and continue to increase the amount each time. You'll be amazed at how much further you'll be walking a week later!

Be patient! You'll be feeling better and better before you know it. Take care!

Hi Dave,
I glad to hear that you are doing great. My surgery was in 5/20/02 and the ticking is driving be crazy too. But I guess I really better worrry if I can't hear it. TThe nurse's at the hosp. told me I could get in the bath tub as long as the water didn't cover in stitches. It really relaxed me and help me sleep. Good Luck
Sherrin Hutt
mitri Valve repair 5/99
" " replacement 3/02

sleeping

sleeping

For me, I've found that the most comfortable way to sleep (and I've been sleeping this way ever since my first open heart surgery five years ago), is to hug a pillow to my chest while lying on my side (I HATE sleeping on my back). And for the first few weeks after surgery, I would wedge a pillow behind my back so I didn't feel like I had to hold myself up. When I first got out of the hospital I stayed at my mother's house and she has one of those beds that can sit up, but I didn't like sleeping sitting up. I'd just sit it up, get into bed, then have it lower me down so I didn't have to work those muscles to get down to a flat position.

Good luck in finding the position that works for you!

sleeping with fan on

sleeping with fan on

I just returned from visiting my Daddy in Alabama..and slept in a guest bedroom where there was a tall free-standing fan. Turned it on and away from me..the humming put me right to sleep and couldn't hear the ticking..We have a table model but will get hubby to rig up something high where I can hear it..Bonnie

Latest posts

Back