I Made It Through!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NashvilleDave

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to let you all know that I came home yesterday afternoon from the hospital. I am glad that the surgery is over and done with. I wasn't in a lot of pain when I initially came home. However in the evening, and through the night, I was in SERIOUS pain! I couldn't get comfortable....at all! Enough of that.

About the surgery, it was successful. The scar isn't as bad as I initially thought it would be. It's about 4 1/2 inches long. I can deal with that. I dropped about 14 lbs. of water weight. I was able to move around within 24 hours of the surgery. Probably, the most painful part was when they yanked the drainage tubes from my side. YEEEOOOWWW! That hurt! The breathing tube wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either. I guess I just had to experience the whole ordeal myself.

The one thing I am having a hard time with is the constant "ticking" of the valve. It's annoying. When there is a lot of noise, I don't hear it. However, the first time I went to the bathroom, it sounded like there was a leaky faucet dripping. I looked all over for the source, and soon realized, it was me!

I have been walking as much as I could. It's really warm in Nashville these days. I have been really watching my diet too.

So, I guess that's it. Oh yeah, does anyone have any suggestions for sleeping positions? I cannot get comfortable, no matter what I do! Yes, I do have a Lazboy, but I can't pull the lever down without help. It's also not that comfortable for sleeping through the night.

Thanks again, everyone (you too Joan) for you your kind words and suggestions to get me through the whole ordeal.

Dave:p

Dave,

Congratulations.

So pleased to hear all went well and like me you are on the road to recovery.

I find it somewhat interesting that you can hear your valve and I cannot hear mine. Hope the blasted thing is working, must be at full throttle.

As for sleeping. I did the recliner a few days but found that it was messing my back up. I subsequently went to the couch. Secret for me was lots and lots of pillows. I was able to get somewhat on my left side with out to much discomfort.

Keep the pain pills close by and keep up the walking. I find that really helps, also keep the spiro breathing machine going.

Again great news and keep moving forward.

Walter

Yeah Dave

Yeah Dave

Dave, I am so happy to read that your surgery went well and that you are on the road to recovery. Hope you find a good way to rest. Take care!!
:) Paula

HI DAVE.....WELCOME HOME!!!! SO GLAD ALL WENT WELL AND THAT YOUR ONLY REAL PROBLEM IS LISTENING TO YOURSELF TICK!!!.....THINK OF THE ALTERNATIVE, MY MAN, AND ENJOY EVERY TICK/TOCK!!! SERIOUSLY THOUGH, WHEN TYCE GOT HOME I WENT TO WALMART AND BOUGHT HIM A BODY PILLOW. HE USED THAT AS A BOLSTER TO GET HIM UP HIGHER IN BED, AND THEN AS WALTER SAID, USE LOTS AND LOTS OF PILLOWS. HE WASN'T COMFORTABLE ON EITHER SIDE, SO HE SLEPT ON HIS BACK UP HIGH FOR QUITE A BIT. HE'S 8 WEEKS POST AND IS ONLY NOW BACK TO SLEEPING NORMALLY.

WALK AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND USE THAT SPIROMETER, AND WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN!!!

EVELYN AND tYCE

Hi Dave, Glad to see you're home and everything went well. There's no place like home! Sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort. It will get better as the days progress. As for your sleeping problems, My father bought me a bed wedge from a local pharmacy which helped me a great deal in the first few weeks, Just a thought. Everyone has difficulty getting comfortable and everyone uses different ways to overcome it, Hope you find your way. As for the ticking, I totally understand you, 4 months later I still get bothered by the double ticking I hear all the time. I still sleep with the TV on to muffle the sound, Try putting the TV on a sleep timer, it might help. Well, Hope everything gets better and wishing you all the best for a speedy and uneventful recovery. God Bless!

Great News Dave,

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. My own surgery is scheduled for the 12 September. I have been advised to try the recliner. But, as you and Walter have noted my Lazy Boy is not really that comfortable and operating the lever is tough sometimes. It puts a strain on my side and chest, so I think I will investigate the pillow pile approach.
You really sound good. My prayers will be for your continued good fortune.

Thanks for sharing with us all.

It sounds as if your surgery went well. Congratulations. My husband did sleep on the Lazyboy for about 2 1/2 weeks. Towards the end of that time, his back did start to hurt him. Good luck getting some rest

Hey Dave
Glad your home.
Can't relate to the ticking, but I bet you'll get used to it.
Now, go for a walk.
-Mara

Hi Dave,

Good to see that you are doing well. EVen with the pain, I bet you were sure glad to get home.

I had trouble sleeping at first too, mostly due to the soreness from surgery, and also from the clicking. I had to learn to sleep on my back, until the wound healed, and I also bought one of those sleep sound machines to help me get to sleep. It worked, and now, I am so used to the clicking that it doesn't bother me any more. It's more a a reminder of how good it is to still be here.

Hope you have a full and speedy recovery. If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask.

Rob
Nashville, TN

Welcome back Dave!

I know what you mean about the noise its been 3 weeks post surgery for me, and still it will take time to get used to that tick tick tick, sometimes alone in a quiet room, it really sounds like a racket.

I slept on my back for a couple of weeks until I couldn't take it anymore.

I have started sleeping on my side and although it caused some muscle pain in the chest for the first two nights, now that I've finally had some real post Lasix sleep, I feel much better.

I dont know if the valve gets quiet with time or not, but nothing is wrong with it. Some people maybe have more fat than others, just a guess?

Hi Dave

Hi Dave

Know you are glad to be home..remember it will just be a week tomorrow. Take it nice and easy. I had the pillow wedgr like Nicole. Slept in a single bed alone for first 2 weeks. No since in keeping hubby awake.:D Don't be afraid to take your pain pills..I am 5 months post op..I can go to sleep with tick tick but if wake up during the night..hard to fall back asleep. Only sound in the house.:D Remember to walk, walk, walk,...Bonnie

Hi Dave-

Congratulations on a fine surgery. You did very, very well.

Joe also has a sound machine. He has two valves, and is in afib a lot of the time, so they aren't necessarily on a regular schedule. He uses the sound machine to sleep. The rest of the day, he doesn't even notice them anymore.

Sometimes strangers can hear the clicking and wonder what it is. Joe never tells them. He finds it amusing.;)

Dave,
Hey, you did it, and came through with flying colors! I second the body pillow for helping with sleep comfort. I like it so much that I'm still using it 12 weeks post op; it got rid of the lower back pain I've had for a long time.

Do you have access to a rehab program? Not all insurance pays for it, but it sure worked wonders for me. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery, and welcome to this side of the mountain!

--John

Hey Dave

Hey Dave

I'm delighted to see you ..so glad things went okay for you ...keep doing as the Drs say...rest up and take care
wishing you a great recovery
Scottie

Hey, welcome back to this side of the mountain!

My husband is also in a-fib, two valves. However, he does have the advantage of wearing a hearing aid during the day, removed at night. With, or without, he cannot hear the clicking!!! He does ask me from time to time ...."Can you hear me now?" - Just like the commercial! We roar! Cuz, I can always hear him (he is pretty thin), and no, it is not a regular beat, just like Nancy says. Sweeter music I have never heard.

Marybeth

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear your surgery went well.

You didn't say if your pain was bone pain (sternum?) or muscle pain.
One of the downsides to minimally invasive surgery is that there is a LOT of pressure at the end of the partial sternum incision. For that reason, some doctors prefer to just go ahead and make a full cut which also gives them more room to operate.

When I first came home from the hospital following my CABG, I used a large stiff (cotton) pillow propped up at the end of the couch. I suppose a stiff wedge pillow would also work. After my AVR (second opening) I had ZERO chest pain so I was able to just roll over on my side and sleep in bed. I DID have a LOT of muscle pain around my shoulder blades when the pain pills wore off. NOT FUN. Massage helped relieve that nuisance.

Another alternative would be to rent or buy an adjustable bed. Medical supply places carry hospital beds and you might even be able to get your Dr. to write an Rx if your insurance company will cover it. I've also seen ads for adjustable beds on TV. Just last night there was one at 1-800-213-9300.

'AL'

hi dave!
i was so glad to see you posting and to read that your surgery went well. i remember joey having a lot of pain for a long time. please don't hesitate to take your pain meds, that's what they're there for. in time you will need less and less of them.
keep up the walking, it makes a big difference!
wishing you a continued smooth recovery. just try and be patient. it will all get easier with time. (keep those pillows handy!)
stay well, sylvia

Dave,

I'm glad your surgery went well.

As for sleeping, what worked for me, as I have never been able to sleep on my back or in a sitting position, was to have a bed moved into the corner of a room so that the head and one side of the bed were securely up against the walls, and then I piled a bunch of pillows on the bed and against the walls. That way I was able to recline sort of sideways, neither on my back nor on my side, and with no pressure on the incision or the sternum. Also, in that mode, I could shift just a little and it would feel like a fresh position.

Good luck on the remainder of your recovery.

LKC

AVR - January 2002

Hi LKC-

Just wanted to welcome you to the site. Take a moment and tell us a little about yourself.

Nice to have you here. I hope you'll post often.

Pain and Sleeping

Pain and Sleeping

Dave,

Welcome to the other side!:)

My greatest pain has been from coughing :mad: , so I'm a fanatic with the spirometer. Otherwise I feel like I've been beat up - which in effect I have! I keep lists for everything to help measure my progress and one of them is for exercising including spirometer, arms, chest, walking. A crick in my left shoulder is my greatest annoyance!

I hear my ticker alot! :p I've got enviable hearing and sleep lightly. I find my self mentally chanting mantras or singing songs! I also find it interesting how the clicking varies depending on effort level and postion. I keep telling myself I'm glad it's there!

My greatest challenges so for have been insomnia and constipation. :eek:

I spent the first three nights in a recliner that is NOT of the Lazy-Boy 'lever' variety. There is a lever but it's merely a release and just below the seat cushion. Last night I returned to my bed and my wife hardly knew I was there (sound sleeper! I was up 4x). I find sleeping on my back most comfortable, but I have slept on my right side until it's no longer comfortable. Strategic pillowing has been helpful, but I've not yet nested like some note. I like the idea of wedge pillow and plan to pursue. :cool:

Constipation became a mental and phyiscal problem for me; I lost my appetite, my abdomen was distended (somewhat impeding my breathing), and my energy level dropped. I knew my meds were contributing to the problem and I was motivated to adjust what I could - pain meds were changed (Docs had suggested Extra Strength Tylenol) and I'm happy with the change (my head's a lot clearer too). Suffice it to say everything worked out!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back