I just wrote to Sen. Frist about cardiac rehab for valve patients

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Because so many valve recipients are routinely denied cardiac rehab from their health care insurance companies and from Medicare, this has annoyed me no end. Bypass patients have access to this, but not heart valve patients. It doesn't make much sense to me, and I think many folks end up getting very deconditioned, because they cannot judge what is safe for them.

If it annoys you too, here is a link to write to Sen. Bill Frist who is a cardio-thoracic surgeon in the Senate. Maybe he can shed some light on the issue. I just sent him an email.

http://frist.senate.gov/

Geesh, I didn't know I was lucky

Geesh, I didn't know I was lucky

At least 30 - 50% in my class have been valvers. I think companies around here routinely approve people with valve replacement.

I'm glad you brought this up.

Nancy

Nancy

I was denied, it's still in the appeal process, I will definately send an e-mail.

Thanks for the info,

Terry40

Rehab for valvers?

Rehab for valvers?

Nancy, Four years ago I ran into this problem at Inova Fairfax. My cardio prescribed a course of rehab but Medicare said it would not pay for valvers, so I had to shell out $400 up front. It was money well spent however because the rehab was all important in smoothing out the path to full recovery. Its expensive because rehab is monitored by trained RN's and exercise physiologists,
EKG telemetry, blood pressure, etc. The treadmills, bicycles, Cybex, etc. also cost plenty. I never thought about making an issue of nonpayment for valvers but I now believe its time has come, particularly since we have a heart surgeon in the Senate. I will Email Sen. Frist today.

Insurance appeal for cardiac rehab

Insurance appeal for cardiac rehab

Hi rehabbers -

BC/BS denied my insurance claims for cardiac rehab after I had valve surgery. When I complained, they told me I could make a written appeal. I wasn't really sure what I had to convince them of, so I just tried to justify rehab as medically appropriate. They ended up paying the full amount. I still don't know what reversed their decision; was it my eloquent appeal, or did they just decide I was too big a PITA? At any rate, the following is an excerpt from my own appeal -- plse feel free to borrow any of the language if you think it may be useful to you.

-Bill

Rationale for Appeal:

Here are my thoughts on why I believe my treatment is in fact a covered benefit:

1) Phase II cardiac care is standard protocol for patients following open-heart surgery. This is not a recreational exercise program; it is carefully controlled and monitored clinical evaluation of my heart function to rule out exercise-related complications. A key objective of monitored sessions was to demonstrate that I had achieved a stable level of exercise tolerance without ischemia or arrhythmia.

The American Heart Association recognizes heart valve surgery as an indication for cardiac rehabilitation:

Indications for Referral to Cardiac Rehabilitation

· Coronary artery disease (particularlywith modifiable coronary risk factors or poor exercise tolerance [ 6 METs or inadequate to meet domestic or occupational needs])
· Myocardial infarction
· Coronary artery bypass surgery
· Cardiac transplantation
· Heart failure
· Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty
· Valvular surgery

From: "Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs, A Statement for Healthcare Professionals From the American Heart Association"

2) Prior to my surgery, I had several tests and physical examinations to assure that I was healthy enough to undergo surgery without undue risk. These included chest x-ray, echocardiogram, blood tests, physical examination by a cardiologist, and an ECG. All of these were covered, as one might presume. Using that same logic, it seems to me that similar precautions (careful monitoring of supervised exercise) would be covered to assure that I could safely resume a normal and active lifestyle without undue risk of arrhythmia or cardiovascular accident. Such risks are well-documented in medical literature, per the following excerpt:

COMPLICATIONS SPECIFIC TO ORGAN SYSTEMS
Heart and Pericardium
Postoperative complications involving the heart and pericardium are common after cardiac surgery primarily because of arrhythmias, conduction disturbances, and manifestations of ischemia.
From "Cardiac Surgery in the Adult," L. Henry Edmunds, Jr.

I would like to point out that my cardiovascular function was significantly diminished following surgery. My ejection fraction was 35% (see the attached echocardiogram report), I had rapid resting heart rate of 110 BPM, and resting blood pressure of 90/40.

3) My rehabilitation services were limited to what was medically necessary. I opted out sessions that provided lifestyle counseling, limiting services to monitored exercise. Although 24 sessions were prescribed by my cardiologist, I terminated treatment after 12 sessions when I demonstrated achievement of moderate exercise levels without adverse effects.

I ask that you please review my case and reconsider payment of claims made by xxxxxxxxx Hospital. If, after your review you conclude that benefits are not covered, I ask that you please provide an explanation of your rationale in writing to me.

My guess is that you will get receive a response. Better yet, how's about a bill in progress;0 Being a former resident of the state of TN I can assure you Frist supportive and involved. He may help. Great idea. T

There was another option that was going to be put up for individual's age 50+ to take early Medicare if needed for a chronic conditions. Hope we see that happen too.

Comment and Question

Comment and Question

Bill - informative post, thanks.. Um, is your avatar also your heart? As Zipper would say, "kewl."

Gina - regarding the "individual's age 50+ to take early Medicare if needed for a chronic conditions" -- is this unique to TN or nationwide? Any new info available on the subject? I think it's a great idea...

Gina..Very interesting..I wonder about the early medicare also, and would love to learn more about it. I understand supplemental policies are difficult to obtain and very costly when under 65 and on medicare. Anyone have experience with this??

Janie...I agree..Bill's avatar is 'kewl'..and Bill, that was a great correspondence to obtain Rehab coverage!! I had bypass and valve at the same time and I was the only valver in a large rehab group! Nancy has the right idea to get someone to take action on this.

Happy Day to all...

Zipper/Joan

Latest posts

Back