I have a date!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEM

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi All, thank you for all your good advice on getting the surgery done sooner rather than later. I am now scheduled for AVR on 10 December 2008. I'll have a heart catheterization to check whether I need any bypasses (I'd be shocked, but ya never know) on the 8th of Dec. Regarding the issue of another surgery in 10-15 years, my cardiologist said that the organic valves have improved considerably in terms of longevity and he is skeptical I would need replacement. He advised against a mechanical valve because of the need to take blood thinners and that my age suggests that an organic valve is better for me. I'm having my surgery at Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park, MD. The heart institute there does 800-1200 open heart surgeries a year and is the best in my county. My surgeon is Dr. Militano, and he has been doing AVRs for many years and has excellent stats. So, looks like it's a green light and it's all about waiting until the 10th.

Dave

Good you have your date. The wait will be difficult.... most of us find the wait the hardest part.

We are here to help you in any way we can.

I had bovine valve implanted in February and for me it was without question the right choice. I am very happy I made that choice.

I put you on the calendar, Dave so now it is "official". It sounds like you have a good surgeon and a good facility so all will be fine.

Glad you have your date Dec 10th not too,too long

keep busy and keep posting,does a mind better to

keep busy.......Good luck and all the best in rest of

your short waiting period.

zipper2 (DEB)

Dave, I'm not sure of your age but my surgeon said the same thing about mechanical valves - that they are generally more suited to folks a bit older. I had my AVR at 26.
Now that you actually have a date, maybe the waiting will be a bit easier...I found it much harder waiting for a surgery date.
Good luck - try to keep busy! Best wishes on the 10th.
Melis

Sounds like you're all set to go, Dave. Excellent!

These will possibly be very long weeks ahead since waiting is the worst part! We aren't kidding. Of course if it is a breeze for you, let us know how you managed to stay so relaxed! :D

Wishing you (and Anna, too!) all the best.

Marguerite

Dave ~ Congratulations on getting your surgery date. My best wishes and prayers are with you. Dawn-Marie

Latest posts

Back