I guess slowing back into a work isn't an option all of a sudden...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_L

I was released yesterday for return to work Monday. I was hoping to manage my work load and ease back into it. I get a call today from my boss, my co-worker (dept. supervisor) has a new job (internal) and I'll be covering both jobs (I'm technical) practically from the first day back.

I told her I was already stressed. My BP has already shot up 10 points. This is just unbelievable. I just know she waited until she got the official notice that I was 'OK' before she called to tell me the big news.

My job is like so many - we've eliminated so many positions to save money, our ability to handle one absence is very limited. Plus, I'm one of two (soon to be the only) salaried positions in the dept. Nothing against the hourly employees, they're great, but they need a fair amount of face-time and guidance. TIme that I don't have with all my other duties.

I just don't want to subject myself to this level of stress right away.

My job is like so many - we've eliminated so many positions to save money, our ability to handle one absence is very limited. Plus, I'm one of two (soon to be the only) salaried positions in the dept. Nothing against the hourly employees, they're great, but they need a fair amount of face-time and guidance. TIme that I don't have with all my other duties.
This is seriously the best thing I've read all week.:D Reading what you wrote, no one would suspect that you had a valve replacement only two months ago. They've obviously missed you.

Hi

sorry to hear that your company is like that. My only suggestion in the face of that it to 'work at your own pace'. If anyone gives you a hard time about it just mention that if you over-do it you'll be off again and that won't be good for anyone.

and that would be the complete truth.

I just don't want to subject myself to this level of stress right away.

I don't know what it is you for a living but as long as its not physical work you shouldn't be too threatened health wise by it. Just make sure that if you feel too tired to just go have a sit down in the tea room.

Remember this: no one who cares about you wants to see you worse off.

You probably knew that, but personally I've found it nice to hear these things from others from time to time.

:)

Best wishes

Reading what you wrote, no one would suspect that you had a valve replacement only two months ago. They've obviously missed you.

an alternative view is that work simply is such a meatgrinder that they don't care about what he's been through and want him back on deck. I used to work for a pack of assholes like that. I got measles and they wanted me back at work (I was about 32 at the time). I mentioned to them that (if that was how they felt) they should tell the pregnant ladies at my office that I was infectious so they could get out, but was happy to spread it around the rest of them.

George Carlin sums it up nicely: but *warning he swears a lot (if that offends you)
[ link ]

Thanks for the comments. Yes - I guess that they really need me, which is nice to know. Good point - I will have to manage my workload myself or I'll be worse off.

I have three more days to mentally prepare.

big_L,

My atttempt at explaining it with humor is to say that "Stress is only there if you accept it." In other words, as pellicle suggested, I would work at your own pace and do the best you can, but don't worry about not being able to "do it all" at the start. Over time you may find, as many of us have, that you can now handle even more than you did before, without feeling the stress. Your body can take far more load now than it could before surgery, just work your way into it gradually.

I was doing great post-op until my division director called me in and informed me that my hours are being cut to 50% from now until the end of the year, and if I can't find coverage on a new contract by then I'll have to retire. My plan was to continue full time for another year, and then go part time for a while at then retire. I'm not ready financially to execute that plan a year early.

My BP has gone up a good 10 points; I have an appt with my cardio next Tuesday and I'm certain he's going to want to push more meds my way, which make me feel lousy. As some say, life sucks and then you die (but in my case at least not of cardiac insufficiency).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back