Hypertension and Valve/Aorta Issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francie12

Just checking in to see other's experience with hypertension, along with their valve and aorta issues. My question is if hypertension commonly goes along with diagnoses like moderate aortic regurgitation, BAV and dilated asc aorta. My son was 11 yrs when he was diagnosed and I started on this site. He is 24 now, doing fine, but on 6-month follow ups now, due to increased asc aorta measures. He is, of course, fully in charge of his own medical situation now but consults with me as his old advocate. He's still on 20 mg/day of Lisinopril, which he says keeps his blood pressure down sufficiently. I'm just curious if the hypertension relates to his valve/aorta issues, or if it is an independent issue all together. We have no family history of hypertension that I am aware of. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm of the opinion, and it's just that, that hypertension and vac are independent of each other. I have bav and my resting BP has always been great and there are plenty of people with normal aortic valves and hypertension.

My valve problem was due to scarlet or rheumatic fever, not BAV, so my experience with hypertension may not be applicable to your sons problem. I never experienced hypertension until decades after surgery so I doubt that the two always go hand in hand but I would suspect that a valve situation might increase the risk of hypertension. But like cldlhd posted, "plenty of people with normal aortic valves have hypertension". That's a good question for his PCP or Cardio.

Thanks, cldlhd and dick,

Yes, it is definitely a question for his cardio. He is not due for his next appointment for a time, and has a brand new young pcp who just gave the hypertension diagnosis. In a way it is easier being the the parent/patient advocator now that he is older and in charge, but in a way it is more difficult. Thanks again!

I had my BP checked today: 105/65. No problem.
As long as there are no symptoms, Lowish BP is a good thing.
I take Losartan 50mg twice a day and I think in my case it might have protected my aorta.
Valve calcification is another issue altogether.

Latest posts

Back