How to deal with bone loss and calcification of the arteries (effects of coumadin )

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunonwaves

I have read a number of studies where coumadin has been shown to calcify the arteries and cause osteoporoses.
Being early thirties I really want to know if there is any way to stop the bone loss and to protect the arteries.
Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Please post the links to those studies that you have read.

Middle aged women going through menopause will have to consider bone loss and osteoporosis possibilites, but
taking Coumadin won't be a primary cause. My osteoporosis started long before I took Coumadin and I make
sure to take Calcium supplements.

I've also heard that coumadin/warfarin was linked to osteoporoses in the past....never heard of artery calcification. Most of these "terror tales" come off the internet. I have no evidence of either problem...and I am 75 and have been on warfarin since 1967....and I will guarantee you that I do not take extraordinary measures dealing with this drug. I only encourage taking the drug as prescribed and testing routinely.......then EAT, DRINK AND BE MERRY.

I have read a number of studies where coumadin has been shown to calcify the arteries and cause osteoporoses. Being early thirties I really want to know if there is any way to stop the bone loss and to protect the arteries.
Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)
I'd be interested in seeing those studies. All that I am aware of are laboratory experiments that implicate warfarin because it blocks some vitamin-K dependent proteins involved in those issues. But I'm not aware of proof that it actually produces clinical disease. There are retrospective surveys that seem to show an association with increased risk of osteoporotic fractures and others that do not. These type of studies are fraught with problems. Some rat experiments on calcium levels and effects of vitamin K supplementation seem to make a link too, but there's no good human data, as far as I know.

Bill B's comments about Vitamin K, and this may be the factor to consider. In the past, common advice was to avoid Vitamin K at all costs -- eliminate from diet as much as possible, don't take supplements containing Vitamin K, etc.
The more recent school of thought is to include Vitamin K in your diet -- it does many other beneficial things for the body that you shouldn't be without - but keep track of your INRs and just adjust for the coagulant factors that Vitamin K is involved in. Having Vitamin K in your diet is also said to make it EASIER to maintain a stable INR.
I'm not sure the old studies considered effects of low vitamin K, or other factors (like pre-menopausal and post-menopausal bone loss), but it's my uneducated guess that keeping a stable diet that includes Vitamin K, and regularly testing INR to maintain a stable INR will probably NOT contribute to arterial calcification or bone loss. (I've been taking warfarin for nearly 20 years and am unaware of any issues like the ones you're asking about).

Latest posts

Back