How Soon After OHS Can One Typically & Safely Travel Out Of The Country?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme2

Is traveling out of the country 3 months after OHS (aortic valve & LAD bypass) too optimistic? We're looking at a 10 day cruise involving a 3 hour plane flight each way. I'm 74 and in otherwise really good shape.

Thanks for any input.

If you look at the volumes of patients getting similar surgeries at the "facilites of excellence" like Cleveland Clinic and Mayo, thousands are from out of state and other countries every year. They are usually discharged in 5 to 7 days and asked to hang around for a post discharge check up, for 3 or 4 more days. Then they fly all over the place. I will be doing same as I live in the Pacific Northwest and will be having surgery in Minnesota. My flights will be more than 3 hours and I have been assured at both facilities that it is totally doable. So it seems like you'd be fine for a 3 hour flight, assuming all else is well and rehab is complete. But that is just my opinion. Have a great trip.
McCbon

I will be in your "backyard" at Mayo if all goes as anticipated currently. I do not have surgery scheduled yet, my surgeon says it is still pretty much "elective" but I need it and should not wait until I deteriorate or have overt symptoms. I am stalling as long as possible. It will be an aortic valve replacement with an ON-x mech. Dr. Pochettino.
I know you had Dr. Suri, for different procedure, but who was your cardio? And how did the facility look and work? The parts of St. Mary's we saw in May seemed pretty tired and that worries me a little. Are the surgical suites and cardiac ICU facilities in better shape?
As an aside, none of this is relevant to itsme2's thread so maybe we should relocate?
McCbon

My first OHS, my cardiologist and surgeon both cleared me to cruise at 10 weeks. I did not feel up to it and waited a bit longer. I had an uneventful, smooth recovery and when I cruised at about 14 weeks, I was tired and needed to rest from time to time but did fine. We had a cruise in Europe planned when I learned I would need a second OHS. We cancelled that cruise which would have been at about 8- 9 weeks out. Again, I had a smooth, uneventful, no complication recovery. We chose to fly to Fort Lauderdale to vacation at a resort at about 10 weeks and that worked out very well for me.

If you are really lucky you might feel up to this, but there's a lot of difference between enduring flying home from the Cleveland clinic and actually having the energy to enjoy and make the most of a holiday. I was 61 and in good shape but I had some complications and would not have coped. I would arrange something easier and closer to home - and more easy to cancel - and book the cruise when you know you are fully recovered. We all have different experiences and you simply can't tell till you've been through it whether your recovery will be easy or not.

After OHS, typically people return to work, and their routines within 3 months. I was given clearance to do pretty much whatever I wanted at about 10 weeks. If all goes well, and generally it does, then I think it is doable, but I would discuss with your Dr.

For me the only concern would have been Afib. I had episodes at about 1 and 2 months. The 2nd stopped on it's own after an extra dose of metoprolol. For the 1st I was directed to the emergency room. After a month or two post op you should have a good idea how your recovery is progressing and whether you will be ready for a cruise.

One other consideration - make sure you can get medical coverage - I am in Canada, but there were stipulations about how soon after surgery I could travel (I think it was 3 months) before my coverage provider said I could go anywhere.
Tony

Latest posts

Back