How often would you follow up if you were me ????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxx

I am getting ready to start a new job in about 8 weeks, I am wondering if I should just do a follow up appointment soon to get it over with as I don't know what my new work schedule will look like yet.

At my last appointment & Echo December 2011, here was what was determined:

Male, 34 years old, 185lbs, Body Fat 12%
Excellent Health, Excellent Blood Pressure, non smoker, non drinker, exercise no less than 4 days a week.

Aortic Valve is actually NOT the originally suspected Bicuspid, but instead 3 unequal shaped trileaflets.
Aortic Root 3.7
Aortic Valve Area 2.3
Aortic Valve Trace Regurgitation
Diastolic Murmur of S2 our of S6

I presume that my cardiologist assumes that the "murmur" he says he hears is due to the tri-leaflets of my Aortic Valve being unequal in size.

Odd enough, on August 6th, 2012 I had an emergency appendectomy and neither the ER doc, nor my surgeon said they could hear a murmur, nor did either of the first two cardiologist I've had. (Doesn't mean my new Cardio isn't hearing it, but the sound must be very slight at this point.)

Anyway, my last records just say "periodic followup" to check the status of the valve.

If you were me, and these were your stats, would you be thinking once a year? every two years?

I don't have any symptoms.... except for my mind starts to obsess over heart stuff when it's been awhile since an appointment.

I realize that surgery may be imminent someday, but I would prefer to forget about my "heart problem" for awhile if possible.

Thanks for your advice.

See your cardiologist annually for an office visit. That's a small investment on your part. He may order an echocardiogram every few years to keep an eye on things. With your stats, you may never need surgery.

If you are able to see your cardiologist within your 8 week time line, book an appointment. It would be darn close to a year since your last appointment. Also ask your cardio exactly what he means by a "periodic followup" and go from there.

Congrats on your new job and good luck.

Hi Roxx,

I was first diagnosed with a heart murmur at age 6. Was diagnosed with BAV at age 59. In the intervening years, the murmur was often hard to hear, depending on my exercise schedule. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back