How low did you go?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sherrin-

Coumadin levels are not exact. They fluctuate all the time. My husband has been on Coumadin for 25 years. Every time he's on antibiotics, his levels are higher. He's on them now. At one point his level was 7.1, but was adjusted and is now in range (2.5-3.5). However, while on the antibiotics, he's being tested every 4 days.

While on an antibiotic, you should be tested more frequently.

Good luck.

Dear Nancy, Thanks for the information. My daughter talked to a co-worker at Boson Medical and that is what she told her too! But none of the other doctors ever mention this.
Thanks again, Sherrin Hutt

Since I originally started this thread, I've finally got my INR stable and in the right range. We were working through the effects of increased appetite and activity, but the Anticoagulation Pharmacist was making adjustments that were way too small. My cardio had to order an agressive dosage change that ended up being spot-on.

I seem to be fairly stable now that my dosage has been adjusted for "real life".

Johnny

INR?

INR?

Johnny..You are one month behind me. Do you mind telling me what your doseage is now. I" 5 mg. mon-Sat. and half of a 5 on Sun. The last 2 were 3.8..but clinical nurse said to stay on same doseage and eat more greens. So I had a hotdog with coleslaw one day. Lettuce salad 2 nights in a row and I will have some green beans (fresh) tonight. Then will home test again Thurs. If I am still 3.8 I think I will cut back to a half of a 5mg on Sat. nights..but will ask her first. I have my own Protime. Wonderful...:D Bonnie

When I started this thread, I was at an INR of 1.6. At that time, I was taking 2.5 mg of Coumadin per day, every day.

I was 2.9 INR last week (target of 2.5 - 3.5) so I'm right in the middle. My dosage now:

Sun, Mon, Wed, Friday: 7.5 mg
Sat, Tues, Thurs: 5.0 mg

Difference

Difference

I figured I am taking 30 1/2 mg of coumandin and getting a slight higher than I need 3.8(eating greens tonight) per week...but figure you are taking 53 1/2 mg and in the range..I'm too 2.5-3-5:D :D :D crazy ......When will you check again to see if it stays in range? Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,

I take 5mg every day and stay within the 2.5-3.5 range. When I have dropped lower (a couple of times) I take an extra 2.5 and it comes up. If I ate more greens, I'm sure I'd have to up the dosage. I guess everyone metabolizes it differently, as Al has explained.

Isn't it great to be able to home test, tho. I would worry more if I couldn't test often!!! Thanks to this site, we can all compare these things and learn from each other! Whew!!!!

Zipper *~*

Dosage

Dosage

Hi Zip, I'm going to wait until Thursday to test again..1 week to see if eating greens has me down some. If not, I will cut Sat.'s 5 mg to 2 1/2...That's the Beauty of having your own Protime. No phone calls to have to sit and wait around all day for them to call you:) Dear Lord, I hope I haven't dropped too much to have to raise it from eating these greens this week:confused: Bonnie

Hi Johnny,
THe laaaast couple days my INR aas 2.2 range. Sence yesterday I have so fatique and tired. Not to mention just my normal self. MY head feels so foggy and I walk like I am drunk. I'v called two Dr. s to day and I think that I am crazy,All i want to do is sleep . DO anyone out therre have any ideals what this is. THey give you all the infomation if it is for wwhen it is to thin, but not the other way.
Help , thanks
Sherrin Hutt

Sherrin:

I do not think your symptoms are from the meds.

I do think you are right.....you need to see your Dr.

Best wishes!

Marybeth

Hi Sherrin-

I was just going to say the same thing Marybeth said. Please get to see a doctor today. It doesn't sound like INR, but it does sound like something you need immediate help on.

Let us know how things go.

Boy, I am glad I do not have to test my inr levels. I am sure if I did, they would be low, but my insurance company wouldn't have paid for a protime, and I would end up sitting in traffic every other week! In other word, I am glad I chose the bovine valve. That and I am afraid of needles, and hate having them stuck in me! I think it's because everytime I go to the Naval Hospital they always mess up and make it hurt BAD and leave a HUGE bruise on me! Sherrin, it sounds like you have something I woke up with likt three months ago, called vertigo. If you call your cardio, they will probably tell you to get an EKG. YO might have a low platlette level, as well, that happens to me sometimes.
Take it easy!

I called my primary Dr. andd he wasn't sure what to do. My carddiologist is out of town. He wan't me to wait till he gets back. I hope my body can wait that long. They drew blood today for two different test and there were little or no blood comig out. I just afraid infection from my abess tooth is going to go to my heart and that is not a good thing. I saw the spine Dr. today also. I am hoping while they are doing the tooth he can take care off my disk problem that has been bother me for the last for three probblems for the price off one. I really be happy if I can pull this off. SHerrin Hutt

Hi Sherrin-

I hope if you feel any worse or at all strange, you will get yourself to the ER, pronto.

Take care of yourself.

Sherrin, You have to get that absess tooth looked at and taken care of! I had one, and along with it hurting, I also could have gotten endocarditis, and had to have another heart surgery, or even worst things happen to me! I know you are getting it done, but sooner is better than later!
Take care of yourself, please!

Really low

Really low

Well today I think I reach my lowest INR .9. Welll they sent to the hosp. lab and it was 1.1 there. So look how close the protime machine came to the lab. My cardiologist was really surprised!:confused: Well the good new they didn't put in the hosp. told me to come parpared to stay but I didn't. So I got to come home and give myself Lovenox shots twice a day for next five days. THis all happen becaused the primary Dr. gave a new cholestrol meds. This is a warning to the rest of you to bee careful when you start something new what it can do to you PT. The new drug was Crestor it hasn't beon the market very long.
I was a little scared the first time but I did have to do this tto my self 2 yrs ago when I had a blood clot in my leg. Where my daughter the RN when I need her , she is in LA again.
Thanks for listening to my crazy day believe it or this was just little part of my day.

Sherrin Hutt
Valve Repair 5/99
Valve Replacement 3/02

Sherrin:

My PCP has told me, no, demanded that I get an INR reading before starting any med, then about 4-5 days afterward to see what effect it will have.

Found out recently that eating too many oranges daily will affect INR. In early February got a reading of 2.4 on my ProTime 3. Then looked at my Coumadin leaflet, found that excessive Vitamin C will lower INR.

BTW, I've never given myself shots before. Did your Dr. or a nurse show you how? I've given my cats sub-q shots against FVRCP and of oxytocin before, but I'll be you-know-what if I'm gonna try to get to the scruff of my neck to inject myself. :D :D
Seriously, my vet taught me how to give the shots, but I was still very nervous the first time I gave one. I imagine I'd be just as -- if not more -- nervous giving myself shots. And I probably will at some point, what with a colonoscopy scheduled this summer.

Sherrin

It is extremely unlikely that Crestor was the cause of your INR going too low. The only reports have been of slight increases in the INR.

This is directly from the Crestor package insert approved by the FDA

Warfarin: Coadministration of rosuvastatin to patients on stable warfarin therapy resulted in
clinically significant rises in INR (>4, baseline 2-3). In patients taking coumarin
anticoagulants and rosuvastatin concomitantly, INR should be determined before starting
rosuvastatin and frequently enough during early therapy to ensure that no significant alteration
of INR occurs. Once a stable INR time has been documented, INR can be monitored at the
intervals usually recommended for patients on coumarin anticoagulants. If the dose of
rosuvastatin is changed, the same procedure should be repeated. Rosuvastatin therapy has not
been associated with bleeding or with changes in INR in patients not taking anticoagulants.

Cat
Instead of the scruff of your neck when using Lovenox you pinch a "love handle" and stab away. It will cause some "eggplant belly" but you will live. It is what diabetics do several times a day every day.

Latest posts

Back