How loud are the mechanical valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My own experience

My own experience

Since I was 11(just a kid in 6th grade) when I got my first one and three valves
since and different kinds- my experience has been more like Jim. It didn't
seem to make a diffference what size I was, the shape I was in or the amount of body fat vs. muscle. They still sound pretty much the same, all these years. They do seem to have gotten quieter with the newer ones- the Starr-Edwards was by far the loudest, then the Bjork-Shiley and I barely hear the CarboMedics.
I would be interest in other "dual valvers" with the same type of valve implanted, which one, mitral or aortic is louder? Joann B. and Johnny S., what say you?:)

My St.Jude valve was loud when I was still under sedation. I can still remember just how loud it was when I first woke up. I thought sure I'd never be able to handle it. After all the nice drugs were gone, so was the loud valve sound. Now, I can hear it only on occasion and only in an absolutely quiet room and then I have to strain to hear it.

Dual valves....

Dual valves....

I will be having MVR and AVR in April, likely with St. Judes and I'm wondering if having two mechanicals make even more noise.

I'm a light sleeper, sensitive to noise, and am hoping that two are not more noisy than just one! Anyone input from those of you out there with two replacements? Thanks!

Susan

Ticking=Music to my ears

Ticking=Music to my ears

:) I've had my St.Jude's mitral valve 9 weeks and the only time that it bothers me is when I am leading a small Bible study class for our youth group. These teenagers are easily distracted and when I first resumed teaching, they found the ticking sound rather amusing. During silent prayer, the teens across the room can even hear it. But, it isn't to the poing of bothering me. I try to nap in the afternoons and sometimes it's difficult to find a position that doesn't magnify the sound. I've also noticed that if I raise my left arm, it sounds really loud. Overall, I find the ticking comforting.

I am soooooo jealous! I had my surgery 6 months ago and just found this site. The information is great, as I have read the different letters I have laughed, cried and just sat and smiled, it's not just me! You are miles ahead having found these wonderful people before your surgery.

Yes, I hear my St. Jude aortic valve, when I am fighting depression or self pity it sure seems loud.:) When I am happy and things are great I don't notice it. My kids laugh at me from time to time when it seems louder than the TV. I have a close friend who finds great comfort in hearing my tick tick tick. I, like someone else here, even had a nurse comment how amazing it was my watch ticks exactly like my heart! :rolleyes: All in all I am grateful to be alive, healthy and so much more energetic.

I don?t have any problems with taking coumadin the rest of my life. It has not been a real problem other than the period I got careless, missed a few doses and wound up throwing clots. The problem was my carelessness, not the drug. No harm no foul right?

I want to say thank you to all who post here! This is a very helpful site; I wish I had found you 7 months ago, many many sleepless nights would have been avoided.

Steve

Graveheart said:
Hi,

I'm new here on cusp of needing AVR at age 40, and all indications are I should go mechanical. (Next to my fear of coumadin) I am concerned about the noise I and others will hear from a mechancial valve.

Any guidance on how/when I will hear this?

Thanks - and thanks for this forum.

Would STRONGLY suggest that you (and your surgeon) look into the ATS Medical Open Pivot® Heart Valve, AP series. The one I have is EXTREMELY quiet and cannot be heard by anyone else (no, I'm not real heavy and no, it doesn't matter what position I'm in or where I'm at). I know the St. Jude is "tried and true" but if you are concerned about noise, the ATS is certainly worth a look-see.

It may seem a little thing....

It may seem a little thing....

...but the noise factor would certainly be a factor for me!

I can't sleep in a room with the smallest ticking alarm clock - when I stay at my dad's I have to take the little (10cm wide) clock out of the room, down the corridor, and into the bathroom!

Also, I suffer from Tinnitus, so anything that reminds me of the near subliminal ringing aint good.

Will watch this post with interest.

I understand exactly what you are saying, Andy. I also suffer from tinnitus, a result of an ignorant cousin who discharged a .30-06 with the muzzle right next to my head several times when I was a teenager. Thankfully, I have learned to block it out completely.

It's funny. As worried as I was about being disturbed by my valve clicking, I now find myself seeking out quiet places and listening intently just to hear it.

Randy

Andyrdj said:
...but the noise factor would certainly be a factor for me!

I can't sleep in a room with the smallest ticking alarm clock - when I stay at my dad's I have to take the little (10cm wide) clock out of the room, down the corridor, and into the bathroom!

Also, I suffer from Tinnitus, so anything that reminds me of the near subliminal ringing aint good.

Will watch this post with interest.

Same here, Randy

Same here, Randy

Randy & Robyn said:
It's funny. As worried as I was about being disturbed by my valve clicking, I now find myself seeking out quiet places and listening intently just to hear it.

Randy

It is indeed funny, but I too seek those same quiet places just to check on how it sounds! It is more of a comfort to me now.:)

Weezie

Weezie

Hi, Graveheart! I'm new to this site, too. Have been on Coumadin since July and it is just another med. The biggest problem for me is that it is just such a pain in the neck, since I never had to take ANY meds before last summer! I can already tell you from reviewing this site that Al Lodwick is the "go to" guy for info. Look up his postings (allodwick).

My best advice as both patient and nurse practitioner is to make the med serve you. Decide what kind of diet makes your life interesting and liveable, and with consistency, you can probably adjust your dose to your lifestyle with few changes. If there are some truly unhealthy habits, they will show up in many other ways too and changes should be considered - otherwise if salads are a big part of your life it would probably take a lot of greens to dramatically skew your results. (That is just an example - not gospel.) Consistency is key.

Given truly unimagined, unforeseen interactions you will find your way and, versus risk of clots, strokes and heart attacks without it, Coumadin is a piece of cake! Best of luck and blessings w/ the surgery (I don't have a valve so I can't speak to that as a patient - I take Coumadin for chronic A Fib).

OK, I have finally managed to find a computer that already has the right audio to play the sounds! My verdict? Yep, the sample of the Sorin valve is pretty true-to-life.

Latest posts

Back