How long until you can sing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Anne

Here's a question I haven't seen before on these boards: how long after surgery is it before you can sing properly?

I'm in a chamber chorus, but I've dropped out pending my surgery in two weeks. I told the director I'd join up again in the fall, when we start rehearsals for our next season. But now I'm wondering if any of you who have already had the surgery are singers, and could give me an idea of when you were able to sing properly again? I'd love to resume my vocal lessons sooner than the fall, but I don't know whether that's realistic.

Thanks!

Interesting you ask this as you are not the first. I recall another poster, years ago, also in a chorus who was concerned how long he/she would be unable to sing. Do a search for the thread. I'm sorry for being so vague about it but that is all I remember.

The answer will be varies. Truly, we all heal at a different rate. Some of us can take deep breaths sooner than others. Your use of the spirometer will be the most helpful to get your lungs cleared and fully inflated the fastest. I had three chest tubes my first OHS and four tubes the second (lucky me) and it took time for all that to heal.

Wait . . . sing? I'll be able to sing post-op? Nooooo . . . I couldn't sing before, and I certainly can't sing now. However I can state with 100% confidence that my singing is not any worse after the op. :)

I know it took me a couple months to feel that I was breathing as normally as I was before, and that's probably the only limiting factor you will have to your singing, if that helps??

Heather, I can certainly understand your question. I am a choir director and was very concerned about how long my recovery would be and how long it would take before I was back and able to sing again. For me, I was out a couple months. It all depends on how quickly you heal so you can take deep breaths. As stated earlier, be sure to use your spirometer to build your lung capacity back. Good luck with your surgery and you will be singing like an angel before you know it!

I understand! I was coughing so much before my MVR that I couldn't speak a full sentence without gasping for air. Sing? no way.
I well remember the first time after my MVR surgery that I caught myself singing with the radio.
Answer: probably about 6 weeks if you are as bad off as I was, and IF you do your spirometer exercises faithfully.
Less if you are not having coughing fits before surgery.
More if you don't do your exercises.

You guys may not be able to sing, but you sure do rock. Thanks for the help! Sounds like I'll be filling out that soprano section in September, as I hoped!

Back