How Long Until Back To Normal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surgery recovery time

surgery recovery time

Hi greg , I can realte to your post i had my 5th surgery
almost 2 years ago age 32 and it took me months to even
climb stairs without being aout of breath . I also had trouble with
palpatations that i had to be hospitialized but hey have ceased
completly .The biggest adjustment was the coumadin it
took month to get it regulated but i have gotten used to it .
All i can say is dont be so hard on your self everyone heals at
their own rate if u have questiosn u shoudl ask your cardio
remember they are working for u . Good luck
Dara Tricuspid valve repalcement Feb9 2001
Dr VAlentin FUster ( My angel )
Dr Griepp ( surgeon ) Mt Sinai hospital New york City ;)

Dear Greg - this isn't going to help you, it is just a 'me, too' sort of thing. Recently, I had some mid-chest pains (remember here, that I did not have valve replacement, but bypass). I just sat there and experienced the pain and wondered - 'is this another attack coming along and am I going to die this time'. I got out those little pills, took one. I tried not to panic and didn't, but I did face the fear of what ifs. I do believe that anyone who has been where you are and where I have been always have in the back of our minds the prospects of 'will it happen again' even though we don't overtly express it or think about it - it's just there and when a symptom appears it is scary. It has been 2 yrs for me and tho I don't talk about it much, I still have the fear somewhere in the back of my mind. And I bet others do, too. And it is comforting to know that we are able to come here and swap opinions and perhaps, sometimes, come away with a bit of comfort. God bless

Hi Greg,

Give yourself time. I am 16 months post-op and there are still days I don't feel quite myself. I feel great for the most part and have more energy than I ever had before. Some days though I feel sluggish and don't want to do a thing.
During my fist six months post-op I had the same fears. I felt one of the wires all the time and thought they did something incorrect. I'd complain about it to the cardio, he would feel the area and say everything was fine. I just needed to give my scar a chance to heal!
Give yourself plenty of time to heal. One day at a time! Take care!

Hey Greg!

I am 3 months post-op and I feel great. My new valve clicks away (when I am resting). I have no chest pains to speak of and my energy level has increased steadly over the past few months. I have also been monitoring my own INR with the ProTime unit. All the above really means is that you will recover. Each of us has his/her own recovery rate. Trust your surgeon and cardiologist.

Greg T

Hi Greg-

I think you've really got to give yourself permission to have these feelings. Maybe way in the back of your mind, you feel that you shouldn't be feeling this way, but the truth is, that everyone has the same fears, and you are not alone. It's a normal thing. You've been through a very profound experience, it will affect you for some time. But one of these days, when your body has finally settled down, you'll wake up and actually like this new body of yours. It'll feel normal to you. You will have forgotten old Greg. Maybe in a small way, you're grieving for the "old" you and how you used to feel. You really will feel better eventually. Time is your friend. Say goodbye to the old you and embrace your new, not fully adjusted yet, but healthier you.

Loving this new guy will take a little time, but he's OK, he's really you.

At 7 weeks post-op I was feeling great and ready to go back to work. At 7 weeks and 5 days I started getting heavy pressure in my chest, SOB, pain when lying on my back. I saw the Cardio who said maybe pleurisy - go to FP. I saw the FP who said not pleurisy - go back to Cardio. I saw the Cardio who said let's do an echo. Echo said major fluid build-up (pericarditis with effusion) - oops! I then fought this battle off and on for the next year. I had times of feeling great and times of feeling lousy - worst was 3-4 months post-op. I have occasional pericarditis now, but I know what to do.

Symptoms such as you describe are probably normal, but I would tell the doctor anyway. It could be something like I had, and if so, there is treatment that makes it better. A young guy in decent shape should bounce back fairly quickly. Talking louder shouldn't cause problems at this point, I don't think. Palpitations, while normal, shouldn't really be bothersome. I notice mine only because I hear them but they don't bother me physically. If they are bothering you, you should be checked. Are you on any other meds? Atenolol seemed to make my palpitations worse.

Dear Greg:

When I read the posts on this board, with regards to how folks fared after their surgery, I am amazed at the lack of consistency with how people recover from surgery. My husband had his surgery last October, and will not ever return to work. He is 55. He was a general contractor. He had dual valves, St. Jude, installed at Mass General, by a very fine surgeon. I personally think that the Doctors' waited too long to advice him to have the surgery. He went into permanent a-fib, which in and of itself, takes away 20% of the hearts' efficiency. Add to that residual ventricular dilation, and his overall efficiency isn't where it needs to be in order for him to put in time at work. He is in CHF, retains a lot of fluid, and his stamina is low. When anything happens....say we go on an overnight trip to the ocean, his feet swell, and when we get home, it takes him about three days to recover. When he goes through any time of emotional stress, it takes the same length of time to recover. Now, I know their are folks on this board whose recovery is worse than this. And I know there are a HECK of a lot of folks whose recover is better. Personally I think it depends on when you had the surgery done, cuz sooner or later, everyone knows in their heart of hearts, it is time. So Greg, when you ask yourself.....why did I have this srugery done.......try to remind yourself that it was to live. And, perhaps you made that decision earlier than others, so that you could live well. Cut yourself a whole heck of a lot of slack. You've been to hell and back. And, take Friday afternoons off. What the heck....you only live once. God Bless you on this journey.....he has certainly blessed me.

Marybeth

Some people develop post-traumatic stress disorder after cardiac surgery. This is different than depression or anxiety, and can have a number of unexpected side effects. My son developed this after his aortic valve repair (he also had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted). Fatigue, not feeling "quite right" and extensive concerns about what might go wrong are all symptoms. Have you had your electrolyte levels checked? Low magnesium and potassium can cause all sorts of strange problems as well.

To directly address your question about tissue valves versus mechanical valves and recovery times, I have never seen a study on this subject. In my own case (SynerGraft homograft on June 5, 2002) as I enter my 7th week post op, I feel really good and my energy levels are approaching my pre-op "normal" levels. I did have a mini-sternotomy, which helped me recover faster, and I had no other health problems besides a bicuspid aortic valve. I have been participating in a very rigorous exercise program, and I'm doing 45 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise every day.

I truly believe everyone recovers differently. Even in our family, my son's recovery has been dramatically different than my own. I do know that depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder are extremely common for these surgeries, and those with problems would likely benefit from a professional screening.

Good luck to you...hope this response is useful.
--John

Thanks

Thanks

Hey John,

Thanks for the information on both of my postings. My skin problem is a little better. The recovery still is slow. This is my second operation and it was a full sternotomy so I guess it is normal. Just like you, I am doing aerobic exercise. I am walking about 1 3/4 miles in 30-35 minutes. I am taking the advice of everyone to be patient.

Thanks again

Greg,

If you don't mind, please tell us more about your physical therapy.

My PCP doesn't want to prescribe PT for me and suggested that just moving around and going to my trainging center should work it all out.

It would be helpful to know what kinds of exercises / movements your therapist has you doing. My upper chest is still pretty tight and also feels very tight when I take deep breaths. I sure would like to be able to breathe easier!

'AL'

I started physical therapy last week, We haven't gotten to far into the exercises, but I start with 15 minutes of a heating pad on my back with a rolled towel underneath, then with the rolled towel alone I squeeze my shoulder blades together for 10 sec and release for about 5 minutes, Then I go against the wall, do sort of the same thing, place shoulder blades back 10 secs for 10 reps. My therapist also sits me on one of those big exercise balls and I use one of the exercise bands and stretch my arms all the way out. I also do 10-15 mins on the bike. I'll keep you updated on any new techniques, I'll be going 3x a week. Take care all!

Exercise

Exercise

Dear AL,

Finally I have an opportunity to give back a little. So many of the VR folks have been so giving towards me. Here's the basic scoop-I am hooked up to a wireless 3-lead EKG from the time I walk into the exercise room. They can monitor me for PVC's, PAC's, or any other changes in my heart rhythm. Some one is watching the monitor at all times. It was helpful the other day because I did have 2 PVC's during the exercise cool down. They also take my blood pressure pre-exercise, during exercise (peak), and 10 minutes post exercise. I am doing the treadmill for 30-35 minutes. I have gradually worked my way up from 2.0 mph, to 3.4 mph. I am also doing an uperbody wheel exercise that is like a bicycle for my arms. I have some light resistance. Lastly, we are doing light weights and stretching. I go 3x's per week. My insurance company authorized 36 sessions. It has been helpful as I was very deconditioned and I needed to be monitored. I feel it has also given me the confidence to exercise independently. I was very scared to get back into it and having someone keep an eye on important physiological indicators such as the EKG and my blood pressure has been very reassuring. One thing is that I am very tired at the end of the day (days that I have rehab.). I had to ease up a bit because I was too tired.

AL-Get the rehab. if you can. It is crucial to getting back into an exercise regimen.

Good Luck,

RE: After l0 weeks??

RE: After l0 weeks??

Hi Greg. I'm just another one of those who has gone before you.
Asking the same questions and those same thoughts. Before I came to this home for valve recoveries I was pretty much on my own. Here I am at 6 months and I still come home to check in and see what every one is talking about. And sometimes I still need things answered too. Working 9 hours a day and taking care of a family , I wonder when will I be fully well again. But I found as Christine said , it takes a year to be fully recovered. So hang in there , you can count on the time flying by so fast.
Sylvia G.:( :cool: :cool: :cool:

I think once one gets a mechanical valve, "normal" changes forever!
I am pretty sure I am healthy and totally recovered , but I would say I will never be back to the normal I was with my own valve or the porcine I had for 11 yrs.
I am surely glad to be alive and will take the new normal, but it is so different now.(click, click, click)...
Gail

"The surgery wasn't a complete success and there is something wrong", or some other fears including "I'm gonna die!"

I dunno, Greg, those sound like panic statements to me!

Seriously, all of the above replies attest to the fact that recovery is very individual. How else could it be? After all, none of us were the identical patient with the same body going in, and while some of us may have had the same surgeon or same procedure, no two surgeries can be exactly alike.

I am at nearly six months post-op. I feel pretty okay most of the time but not great. I have struggled with a lot of physical frustrations and quite a bit of depression since my surgery. My chest still hurts and I still feel movement in the bones. I have PVCs and coughing spasms. When the coughing spasms started (rather spontaneously at about 4 months), I was sure my mitral valve repair was failing. I kept thinking of others on the board who have had repairs fail, and I was sure it was going to be me too.

Because of the depression and my fears, I have been absent from these forums because I didn't want to sound negative or frighten the pre-ops.

I have been run through every testing procedure the doctors could think of, and they all come back with "it's a great repair and nothing is wrong." (except for the PVCs which they say are benign, even though I have had as many as 9 in sequence).

I feel about at the same energy level as before my surgery and I am still plagued with chest discomfort and sometimes have to take long naps after physical exertion.

I did do 30 sessions of cardiac rehab and was glad for the experience. I really recommend it and don't understand why some doctors say "you don't need that." The supervision of vital signs and the repetitive nature of the sessions do a great deal to help to build confidence and strength.

I'm just trying to live my life and go on, because the doctors have little else to offer me at this point. It's funny, when they can't give you a reason for something, they tell you it's all in your head or that you are some sort of hypochondriac who wants to be a "cardiac patient" the rest of your life and just can't let go.

Hopefully, at the year mark, I'll be able to say as most here that I feel really good and am back to "normal."

Recovering from this surgery takes a great deal of patience and forgiveness of yourself if you are not the "star" patient

Last edited:
PVC's are just not fun!

PVC's are just not fun!

Dear Jennifer O,

It was really nice to get your response to the posting. I'm glad you voiced your feedback because it does help others such as myself. I'm sure you have suffered plenty and you are also eager to help. That is apparent as you took the time to write a lengthy and comprehensive response. As you may know, Dr. Cosgrove repaired my aortic valve in 1992 and I recently had to go back for a replacement. Success with the aortic valves (repair) is not like the mitrals so you are different in that (any many other) respect. Anytime a surgeon cuts into the heart, the conduction system is affected. So, PVC's and PAC's break through and we (the patients) have to deal with them.

I go back and forth in my concern about my health. I didn't have a choice and had to get it done. I am thankful. However, I still live in this body and the body just doesn't feel good at times. I seek and give support and try my best to cope.

Thank you so much for your feedback and please be well.

Truly,

Jennifer, I completely understand your feelings about not wanting to post things that would be perceived as negative or frigtening. I have occasionally found myself editing my posts, but I try to remember what I was looking for when I came here. I found the frank discussions about problems and things that didn't go quite right actually helped me understand what I was up against. I truly believe that knowing the frightening stuff actually helped make me stronger and less scared (much less) before surgery. I hope this helps.

Greg, you sound to me like you are feeling better. I had a long talk with my Dad last week, he had bypass surgery in '84. He said it took him a year to feel like he'd gotten over his surgery. You'll get there!

Johnny...That 'year' thing is so true..my husband had a quad bypass last August, and just today was asking me how long it takes to get full energy back. He's doing fine..just tires faster. I told him what we all say here..it's different for everyone.

We must remember how bad we felt before and then we know we're getting better..just takes time...and we're sure not getting worse..Oh those words..Patience and consistancy..grrr..but so true!!!!

Take care all,

Zipper *~*

Tiredness & more!

Tiredness & more!

Once again, this is a call to those more experienced VR members who have survived valve replacement surgery. I am now 14 weeks post op and I'm still feeling very tired in the evenings. I have headaches, dizziness, and palpatations at times. I am going through another stage of discouragement (had one one month ago). I am hoping that the tiredness is going to improve. I would appreciate some advice on this issue. Though I may be a psychologist, it doesn't mean diddly squat! I am just like everyone else, frightened and discouraged at times.

Hi Greg:

Sorry to hear you're still feeling so discouraged.

I certainly still have palpitations. During the night, especially, I will sometimes have short periods where it feels like my heart is racing.

As for dizziness, every so often I suddenly feel like the room is spinning and I have to put my head down on my desk. It will last up to 10 minutes, then usually subside. It is very scary when it's happening.

I think others here have talked about headaches that have continued for as much as a year. I personally still am experiencing "ocular migraines" fairly frequently, though they will go away fairly quickly (within a half hour usually). Ibuprofen and some caffeine (a Coke) seem to help and just resting your eyes by closing them and relaxing.

I still have my coughing spasms which are the most annoying and worrisome and still feel movement in the sternum right at the incision.

If you need to, I would insist on having some tests run. I had to talk my doctor into an echocardiogram just to ease my mind that my repair hadn't given way.

Keep perspective. Others here say it takes a year. You're only at 14 out of the 52.

Latest posts

Back