How long for On-X valve card?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoMammy

Hi all,

I had both a St. Jude's and an On-X valve installed on March 20th. The St.Jude's card came very quickly - maybe two weeks after surgery. I still haven't got my On-X card yet. Does anyone remember how long theirs took?

Thanks

They gave me mine when I left the hospital 8 days later, as part of my discharge package. It has the valve serial # etc. Its a small wallet size card produced by On-X (or OLT Inc.) and which ships to the hospital with the valve when they receive them. I actually leave it at home stored in a safe place and do not carry it with me.
T

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would hijack this old one... I never received the On-x valve registration card. Pretty sure a nurse told me at some point that they would give me a temporary one on discharge and then the official one in the mail later. Never actually received either. When I asked my cardiologist about it later she thought that they should have just given me the official one and since I didn't get it, it was probably lost and would never get it. Is it worth contacting the company? Do I actually need the card for anything?

shanwow1;n855834 said:
. Is it worth contacting the company? Do I actually need the card for anything?

Several years ago I was turned down for an MRI at a local hospital because I did not have an ID card that OK'd MRI's for my valve. That was 40 years after my surgery.....and I never needed the card 'till then and frankly, did not know that ID cards should be carried by all valve recipients. I had a difficult time getting a card from the old valve manufacturer because I didn't have a model or serial number. After a lot of arm twisting by my docs, Edwards Lifesciences did provide a card. However, it is a little unsettling that my card lists the model as "UNK-STARREW" and serial no. "UNK-178". I think the "UNK" stands for UNKNOWN. At least the card does provide info regarding safe levels for MRI's and Edwards should be able to provide other useful info in the event it is ever needed. Your valve will last many decades and it may be a long time before you run into a situation similar to mine......so to answer your question, "Yes it is important that you get a card and carry it in your billfold".

Latest posts

Back