How long before returning to work?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

Cleveland Clinic told me 12 weeks is what they recommend. Have you heard anything similar/different?

There are a lot of variables involved. Mine was a relatively quick and easy mechanical replacement with no complications and I was back in the office in six weeks, could have been sooner.

ASD repair at age 10, Deborah Heart and Lung
AVR on 9/21/12 (age 46)
Medtonics OpenPivot supra-annular 24mm, Dr. Mark Ammons, St. Joseph Hospital, Denver

Really depends on your line of work. I sit in front of a computer and was back part time after 4 weeks and full time after 6.

I was doing a very physical job, out of the country, and at sea for extended periods. My surgeon suggested staying off work until my rehab was substantially complete. that was about six months post-op. (I actually finished the rehab via email).

I think it depends on the kind of work you do. I have a desk job and was cleared to return after 6 weeks. Based on the way I felt, I could have returned sooner but my wife would have had to drive me since I was forbidden to drive for six weeks. If you're loading heavy boxes on UPS trucks (just an example), then 12 weeks might be appropriate.

I was back doing a few hours here and there of administrative type work after about 8 weeks, and started part time work in my normal work as a physical therapist at 12 weeks. I was back up to full time in about 3-4 weeks after that.

I had no guidance in this area, so I was back part time after about two weeks and full time after three. I would have been thoroughly bored and distressed otherwise, getting back to normal life was really important to the mental part of my recovery.

That said, I could take the bus to work and I had a great boss who let me work as much or as little as I wanted. And a full day really tired me out, but I was ok with that.

Surgeons here say: 1-2 days in ICU, post-op. Home after six days. No driving for six weeks, after which you should be able to go back to work. This is the standard drill for valve replacement.

As some of the others have said, it depends a lot on what type of work you do. If you have a desk job, you will be comfortable going back much sooner than if you have a physically demanding job. I work at a desk in an office, and was working part-time from home after about 3 weeks. I went back to the office part-time after 6 weeks, and full-time at 8 weeks. I thought I could have moved along more quickly, but it probably would have drained me too much.

Latest posts

Back