How High is too High?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

I'm still new to this coumadin thing. I've had two St. Jude valves since Christmas Eve 2004 and it has gone well. While I think I know where too low is and its dangers, I'm not sure I know where too high is and what all that means. My dr. says my target should be 2.5 to 3.5. Yesterday I tested at 2.7 and was very pleased. Can you give me some help understanding the upper limits?

BTW thanks for all you help. I've learned a lot from reading the many posts.

Mike Clayton
Rome, NY

There was recently a case report of a guy who tried to commit suicide with D-Con. He get his INR up to about 400 and didn't die.

The INR is a lot like the speed that a car is moving. It is not only how high you go but how long you stay up there. It is uncommon to have a serious bleed at an INR less than 8 when you are checked about once a month. It is rare to have a serious bleed at an INR under 5. The guidelines have a large safety net for most people.

Just like in a car it is possible to have a bad wreck when you are doing under the speed limit but it greatly reduces the odds to be in range.

Latest posts

Back