How Do You Like Your On-X Valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen14

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to ask those who've had an On-X valve for a while now (post-surgery at least 6 mos. preferably a year), how they like it? Is it working sufficiently? Any problems? Also anyone with knowledge on this type of valve is good as well.

I just know this forum is a GREAT source of information. And I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth, than another doctor, LOL!
Many thanks,
~Karen

Dunno but I love my St Jude, that wasn't much help was it ?

Seriously, given the state were in before surgery, whatever you end up with will be great. Seems that ON-X is the one everyone wants, like getting a BMW, however I have a Ford, but it fine.

Go with whatever your surgeon is most familiar with. You wouldn't want to be the first person your surgeon tests his On-X skills on now would you ?

Ade

On-X

On-X

The On-X has been the subject of much discussion on the forum. It's a great product with lots of excellent reviews.

My first choice for my aortic valve replacement was an On-X. I opted for a St. Jude because a healthy portion of my aorta needed to be replaced and the St. Jude was available with a factory installed dacron conduit. Opting for an On-X would have required that a conduit be attached by my surgeon and I wanted to reduce the amount of time I had to be on the heart-lung machine. I doubt my concern was really warranted since a good surgeon can install a conduit on an On-X fairly quickly.

Research does indicate that the On-X does less damage to red blood cells than other valves. Of course, there is the attraction of the ongoing trials which may eliminate the need for coumadin at some future date.

-Philip

Several of our members have On-X Valves, mostly by Choice, and seem to be happy with that choice.

Two of the more prolific recipients are "dtread" and "ctyguy". You can find their posts by checking their Member Profiles under "community" on the Blue Line at the top of the page.

Have you viewed the On-X Websites? See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com

You may also be interested in reading about the founder and chief designer, Jack Bokros, Ph.D.
Do a Search on VR.com for keyword "Bokros" to find posts detailing his experience and history of involvement in Valve Design.

As an Engineer, I am highly impressed by the technological advancements offered by On-X and have written several (sometimes lengthy) posts on the subject which you should be able to find through my member profile.

'AL Capshaw'

Last edited:
It's difficult to answer how do you like your (brand) valve. It's not like driving a car where you actually handle something, see the response at a traffic light, see the savings at the gas pump, see how the oppositve sex admires you when you drive past, etc.
The valve is in your body. Unless a problem arises with pannus, endocarditis, etc., it just ticks along, doing what it's supposed to do, and everyone keeps on truckin' on. I seldom think about my valve -- and that's something to satisfy me.

Some people have been told the On-X is quieter than other mechanicals; however, people have posted here that they can hear their On-X valve.

quiet

quiet

the on-x mitral valve was my choice and was implanted easily by a first time (on-x) surgeon. our gp says it is very quiet and has to listen hard with his stethescope to hear it, whereas his other valve patients valves echo around his room like big ben!

i work a 65 hour week with a lot of hard and heavy work, no worries.

good luck

I've had my On-X for almost three years and really like it. I'm not a sedentary person either. To me, the real test is when you get out there doing some cardiovascular exercise like running, bicycling, swimming, etc. At first I was somewhat hesitant to elevate my heart rate too much. So I gradually built up to higher heart rates during exercise, with increasing levels of exercise intensity. The On-X has performed flawlessly for me at all heart rates, including high heart rates during exercise. I've had my heart rate up in the 170's many times with no problems. I see no need to go any higher than that, particularly since I'm over 60. The valve is quiet, functions a lot better than my native valve was functioning towards the end, and I no longer have all the chest pain that I had before the operation (and I had quite a bit of chest pain). So all in all my experience has been very positive. And one other thing; I specifically requested On-X over another brand valve, and got the first On-X implanted at Washington Hospital Center and the first one implanted by my surgeon.

Hi,
I've had an On-X 23mm in the Aortic position for 1 year 2 months. I have had no issues and hardly think about it any more. I feel completely back to pre stenosis normal - not what was passing for normal before the surgery. 99% of the time I do not hear it (only an internal tick when lying in very specific position when going to sleep) and no-one else has heard it unless they have their ear on my chest! I am looking forward to the results of the testing that completres in 2015, however, I home test and warfarin is a non issue in my life other than the 2 seconds it takes to down the pills before bed.
Cameron

Im just beyond my 2 yr anniversary from my OHS and thus far I've had no issues with my On-X. For that matter I ran 8.7 miles today training for a 1/2 marathon on the 1st of May. I couldn't go 2/10ths of a mile pre-surgery without chest pain and SOB. Now my breathing is a non-issue and I have no pain at all (other than my hip but thats another story). So I would say that its working for me just nicely. Some people say they hear their valves and Im no exception but really its only when its absolutely silent and I have to be laying on one of my ears to hear it. Most people I meet are stunned to hear that I've had OHS so I guess that also speaks to how the valve is working for me thus far. Best of luck to you...

I am really liking a mechanical valve. My heart "feels" good. Steady rhythm, lots of energy and good wind. I'm happy with my choice! :)

Well I am just under 4 months out from surgery with an On-x in the Aorta. I am on Plavix instead of Coumadin. I am not sure there is a big difference there but, I don't have to go to the clinic anymore or worry about diet balance. I was out cutting hedges this morning and then I mowed the lawn. Yesterday one of my warehouse guys did not show up so I unloaded pallets of nails by hand myself. The 23 mm of blood flow seems fine to me. The machinist in me likes the design of this valve. I think there are situations where the St.Jude would work better fitting on the Aorta. I did not have to worry about that and searched out the surgeon who had done the most On-x valves in the Northwest to cut me. I do hear good things about the docks in Medford and in Eugene at Riverbend.

Hi,

I am going on 1 year since I had my St Judes replaced with an On-X aortic valve. Things appear to be going fine. I'll be heading to CCF for my 1 year checkup next month. So, I guess I will get a more detail review of how things are at that time.

I do notice that it appears louder than when I had my St. Judes, BUT... I also now have a lot more stuff inside than I did when I had the St Judes. So it may be that it is echoing off of my coiled aneurysm, or the stent with the 22 cm of dacron tubing.

Rob

I've only had mine fr three weeks (mitral on-x), but I'll say this: its LOUD. Doesn't actually other me (hey - it's way better than being dead), but it can be heard across the room. My fiancee was driving the other day and I was sitting in the back seat on the other side of the car, and she noticed that she could still here it over the road noise from a semi that we were next to.

I've only had mine fr three weeks (mitral on-x), but I'll say this: its LOUD. Doesn't actually other me (hey - it's way better than being dead), but it can be heard across the room. My fiancee was driving the other day and I was sitting in the back seat on the other side of the car, and she noticed that she could still here it over the road noise from a semi that we were next to.

I got my aortic On-X four years ago and its extremely quiet. And I'm pretty slim (5'9", 145 lbs). I've only had one person that indicated that they could hear it unaided (i.e., without a stethescope), and that was two days after surgery by nurse in hospital room. I can occasionally hear it, but only as a faint tapping noise, and that's only if I'm in a very quiet environment and make an effort hear it. Mine did get quieter over time, I guess perhaps they "break in".

Hi
I had my Aortic ON-X valve 6wks ago and felt better from the first day.
The valve is very quiet and its only sound is a tick like a watch which is not too difficult to live with.
My surgery took 5hrs and I left hospital after 5days.My original illness of Aortic stenosis was caused by rheumatic fever when I was young and prior to my operation I was very ill and unable to walk very far without feeling breathless and dizzy.
I would say you only need a small dose of warfarin as you only need an INR of 2-3
Overall my opinion of the valve is that I am very pleased with the outcome of my surgery and new valve.
Tina-marie

I just had AVE 11 days ago with the largest On-X (25mm valve with a sewing cuff for 25/29mm). It is quieter than I was anticipating ( I couldn't hear it at all the 1st 2 days and thought they gave me a tissue). It turns out I could have had the largest St' Jude put in, a 31mm opening with sewing cuff for 33mm, because my opening was 36mm, but my surgeon stuck with my preference and put in the On-X. I was worried about the smaller valve at first, but after talking to the surgeon and 2 echos, it seems that it was a perfectly valid option for me.

Given that the size of my valve is not an issue, I'm glad I got the On-X.

Latest posts

Back